Wow!

Result!

Chief appeared in the thread!

I'm pretty pleased with that.

Now where might Mike be...?

kasabian21

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
It's true. I'm still checking in. I just didn't want to invite a bunch of questions that, as I've said before, I'm not in a place to answer.

What I can say is that there have been a lot of very good people involved and, as the announcement alluded, this is a very regrettable situation which no-one wanted and I'm sure everyone did their best to avoid.

Everyone will be disappointed with this outcome.

Can you not even say how the build when you left compared to the released build last week?

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Can you not even say how the build when you left compared to the released build last week?
I've seen a few comments from journalists that saw the game at Lord's that back up what Colin said about it seemingly being in a better state at the time.

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
Absolutely nothing wrong with Unity. It is a top class engine and, if anything, easier to use than most others. The fact that they made this tripe purely boils down to their incompetence.

^ this.

I have to agree and speak up here in defense of the Unity engine. It's getting blamed for this debacle, which is just unfair and completely untrue. Unity is world class with AAA features, in fact used by AAA devs and Indies alike.

There's been some top AAA games made on Unity, it's definitely not just a 'mobile and tablet engine'.

For Trickstar to blame the engine for their own incompetence is simply poor form. Surprised Unity Technologies have not made a public statement to defend their reputation.

Only a bad tradesman blames his tools.

LM

Last edited:

grkrama

National Board President
^ this.

I have to agree and speak up here in defense of the Unity engine. It's getting blamed for this debacle, which is just unfair and completely untrue. Unity is world class with AAA features, in fact used by AAA devs and Indies alike.

There's been some top AAA games made on Unity, it's definitely not just a 'mobile and tablet engine'.

For Trickstar to blame the engine for their own incompetence is simply poor form. Surprised Unity Technologies have not made a public statement to defend their reputation.

LM

Second that ,Unity is probably the best engine for versatility following unreal engine :thumbs
AS far as i know your only limited by your skills not unity and it certainly much more than an mobile game engine,it has full support for all current gen systems.

was TAOC by any chance tried with Unity engine?

Last edited:

dippa

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
^ this.

LM

Is there a link to Trickstar publicly blaming the Unity engine available somewhere? I haven't seen it yet.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Is there a link to Trickstar publicly blaming the Unity engine available somewhere? I haven't seen it yet.
It's implied through the statement:
The chosen developer, even with their many years of cricket game development experience, was unable to overcome the unexpected challenges that the chosen game engine threw up, even with multiple extensions to the development schedule. At the start of the project, 505 Games received all assurances from the developer that the engine was up to the task of creating a dynamic, cutting-edge cricket game for the modern age across multiple platforms, and unfortunately those assurances were found to be misplaced.

The game was built on the Unity engine, therefore that's what Trickstar are blaming.

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
I have a feeling the engine was fine but workers were not getting payed or they left and they just gave up. I hope we find out someday.

dippa

Club Captain
It's implied through the statement:

The game was built on the Unity engine, therefore that's what Trickstar are blaming.

Yeah, that statement was from 505 Games but I read that just as Trickstar being incompetent, not Trickstar blaming the engine. Although it amounts to the same thing in the end.

Really sad to see this happen. Just going to result in local job losses for the Aussie dev scene and that's never, ever a good thing.

StormySteve

Club Captain
I thought Ashes 09 was built by a different team? Trickster developed 2010 but already had the 09 build to work from.

If the reddit comments concerning Trickstar's previous incarnation Transmission and their reported practices are true it would explain an awful lot.

I think Mike Fegan was involved but you could be right as I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the developers of '09 went bust!

Steve S.

Haynes123

Club Captain
I don't have much knowledge about developing of games, but what I want to know is when they announced the game, they should have had something on the table or in development as they said this game was already 2 years in development. But with the steam release it look like the game was just in phases of development, it does not make sense. And for the life of it, if Brian Lara 99 could have been such an awesome game, how can games released in 2013 not even have the basic stuff such old games had.

bp3000

School Cricketer
Just about how the game apparently got worse after the "preview" event and why they didn't revert back if they were trying to "fix it". I saw someone on another topic saying that the IC 2010 code was owned by Codemasters (which makes sense). Is it possible they were still using this code to beef up their new game and keep it progressing, knowing that they would have to remove it when the release date came because they would be exposed if scrutinized by the public.

Something serious must have happened. If the client (505 games?) or Trickstars upper management were keeping any sort of a handle on the project they should have noticed such poor progress if everyone was being upfront. If they knew about the poor progress action could have/should have been taken.

My guess is that used code that they didn't have the rights too and then when it became known to the client or upper management they did the turf out and promises were made to reconfigure the game which obviously didn't go well.

I mean why not just smash out a cheap mobile app of cricket dedicated solely to the Ashes. With some clever marketing it may have done alright. I just can't believe if everything was transparent that it could have come to this end, which is the worst possible solution.

tarrantino

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
What you will have to remember is that 505 would of published this statement keeping it as neutral and blameless from individuals. There will be fallout from this and 505 would of strategically issued the statement. Talking about the game engine keeps things neutral. They will have to talk to the ECB and Cricket Australia among others. There's contracts in places and who to pay for whats happened. It'll get very messy. Whether we will hear a lot or not is the great unknown.

bp3000

School Cricketer
Nope. The IC10 code was bought by another company who may well use it to create their own game.

I don't understand what you are getting at exactly.

Trickstar was the developer for IC10 right? They don't have the rights to the code now but they probably still have the code backed up. Is it not possible that Trickstar under pressure to deliver a deadline they couldn't meet, used some code from IC10 to make it look like they were more on track then they were.

Is that possible or what have I missed?

Users who are viewing this thread