India in England Jun-Sept 2014

PokerAce

Banned
Me and a friend are discussing exactly how T20 fits into the scheme of things. We kind of agree that T20 shouldn't be an Int'l feature. Keep it restricted to club cricket, or dedicated T20 Leagues. There shouldn't be an Int'l T20 match, which also means scrapping the world T20. For starters no one remembers any T20 results. T20 is more about the fun, watch a 6 being hit and so on. Who is hitting the six is kinda secondary. I for one am struggling to recall any Int'l T20 featuring Ind in recent years. I do remember almost all the ODI and tests though, but not a single T20.

THoughts?

PokerAce

Banned
Ind bowlers are clearly tired from all the leather hunting and have clearly requested their batters to make sure they don't have to bowl again this tour.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Me and a friend are discussing exactly how T20 fits into the scheme of things. We kind of agree that T20 shouldn't be an Int'l feature. Keep it restricted to club cricket, or dedicated T20 Leagues. There shouldn't be an Int'l T20 match, which also means scrapping the world T20. For starters no one remembers any T20 results. T20 is more about the fun, watch a 6 being hit and so on. Who is hitting the six is kinda secondary. I for one am struggling to recall any Int'l T20 featuring Ind in recent years. I do remember almost all the ODI and tests though, but not a single T20.

THoughts?

I'd kill bilateral ODIs myself. Have Asia Cup-style world tournaments, the World Cup; even tri-series, just no long, boring, pointless 5 or 7 match ODI series... T20 series are usually 2 or 3 games, so they don't take up much international time.

e: haha this is like watching the last English innings of the Australian ashes; just pathetic capitulation

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland

its a take on the phrase "is the pope a catholic?" when someone asks a really dumb question which is clearly true. What I was saying was that it was a very silly question, since the answer is quite clear when you look at the score! Its quite a common phrase, in British English at least!

e: should play a quick T20 after India get bowled out ;)

PokerAce

Banned
I'd kill bilateral ODIs myself. Have Asia Cup-style world tournaments, the World Cup; even tri-series, just no long, boring, pointless 5 or 7 match ODI series... T20 series are usually 2 or 3 games, so they don't take up much international time.

e: haha this is like watching the last English innings of the Australian ashes; just pathetic capitulation

I agree pointless ODI series are a bit taxing, but I would still rather have pointless ODIs than pointless T20s. Like for instance Ind play a T20 on this tour, whats the point? Or Ind had 2 T20s in the tour to NZ, again pointless. ODIs are still a good contest to watch, and there is room to change plans, recover from an early collapse or indeed an early onslaught, and the bowler is definitely much more in play in ODIs than T20s. ODIs are thus much more of a contest. T20 is all about that one Flash in the pan event, that one Blitzkreig innings, more often than not.[DOUBLEPOST=1408288283][/DOUBLEPOST]
its a take on the phrase "is the pope a catholic?"

No I mean why change it to Buddhist? Not that its an issue, Indians aren't exactly buddhists ... just wondering u the change.

Last edited:

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
the question was "will India avoid ab innings defeat". The anser is quite clearly no; so "is the pope a catholic?" would make no sense in the context: hense why I changed the religion to make it obviously wrong.

Binny's batting quite well, comparatively.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
@lion100lion Still bad luck :p

2 innings defeat inside 3 days is massive humiliation. Are the players even interested in Test cricket or has IPL/T20 flooded their mind as a means to "play little, earn more" mentality? Seriously though, taking nothing away from England. They are the worthy winners. The whole team was bludgeon by Anderson, Root, Ali, Broad, Ballance and to some extent Cook. Very humiliating indeed.

S

Satan666

India better stop touring overseas. Probably after 10 years later, India would have stopped playing test cricket. Just focus on the IPL. Indian cricket is dead! With the power gone into the hands of the current office bearers of the BCCI, I am pretty sure they will cause enough damage to Indian cricket and make it like Indian hockey.

We are in a big mighty mess. The upcoming World Cup. We've somehow ensured that the format will carry us into the second stage but we will lose at the first knockout itself. Any foreign conditions, India will slip. I wish we lost at Lord's. We did not deserve that win at all. Right now, I worry if people back home think "3-1 is better than 4-0". India being a country of numbers/statistics, they will probably think like that. This 3-1 is as bad (if not worse) as our last 4-0. And losing two consecutive matches without a fight in 3 days calls for many heads to roll, atleast those of the captain and coach (who have now presided over many such disasters for India).
On a sidenote, ODI cricket will never die unless interest for it dwindles down big time in India. And it will never dwindle down big in India.

Guessing your interest in cricket has dwindled, similarly most Indians back home. Think youre getting ahead of yourself though, the pending West Indian tour of India will revive that interest, after the Indians steam roll the number 8 ranked team its gonna be business as usual for the Indian management and their fans alike, perhaps including yourself.

I fully agree that India should ceae playing test cricket as of now, not sure if you can recall I had posted this idea a while ago and received some nasty responses by you guys, its good to see a poster of your stature posting this somehow I feel vindicated today. I had also mention some years ago on this board I think of a propsed two teir system with India playing alongside NZ/BANG/WI/ZIM and perhaps Ireland, the top teir would host PAK/AUS/ENG/SA, in fact there were some columnists clamouring for this set up to happen, sadly with the BIG 3 including India this set up will never happen.

This is the masterplan of the BCCI to kill test cricket, since they can make no money from it and historically India have never been a force to be reckoned with in test cricket.

As of now the only hope for test cricket surviving would be for India to have a top test team, but as you alluded to the BCCI may never allow this to happen......

I was hoping Rahane and Kohli would have been to emulate the Dravid/Laxman partnership against the Aussies in 2001 but so much for that!!!

Users who are viewing this thread