Ashes Cricket General Discussion

grkrama

National Board President
I like the 2005 brian lara despite whatever faults it had ,and the reason i trusted buying that was also because of the brian lara brand and noticing that it was making it back after so many years and being developed by codies again and tired of ea rehasing. It had cool aniamtion variations for bowlers and tailender bats, etc also a cool scenario classic matches and some slapped on career mode, i enjoyed it a lot then.

Hated from blc 2007 onwards were they started going super casual and arcady.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Except there exist games with a strong pedigree which aren't fully licenced, and up against strong competition. The PES series is still going strong, and even if not as much of a sales behemoth of FIFA, is still a successful series for Konami. The Football Manager series with none of the licencing bling built a strong brand and fought off not only EA's riches (licencing and all), but also the studio they left to form SI and the series.

PES did about 1m units last year. FIFA did about 16m. It's probably not breaking even at that level considering their marketing spends.
Football Manager has literally an ENTIRE SPLASH SCREEN on loading of nothing *but* various licenses. SI were always the studio btw: it was the publisher that they walked away from and SEGA bought them instead.

Alberts

International Coach
PES did about 1m units last year. FIFA did about 16m. It's probably not breaking even at that level considering their marketing spends.
Football Manager has literally an ENTIRE SPLASH SCREEN on loading of nothing *but* various licenses. SI were always the studio btw: it was the publisher that they walked away from and SEGA bought them instead.

PES did a lot more than 1 million units last year. If you take vgchartz as a legitimate source though it's probably not worth discussing numbers with you though. PES has been doing well according to Konami's accounts, and it's one of the few series that were profitable enough for them to continue.

Except Football Manager has always lacked the key licences. In terms of major European League in the latest version they only have Ligue 1 and the Eredivisie, it's actually got less licences than PES.

Alberts

International Coach
I mean, we can argue this...
... But I'm kinda qualified in this area.

But OK. :-)

Well, you got the sales figures wrong for PES for one. I'm perfectly happy to discuss what you think about the value of a brand, but at the end of the day having had long discussions with developers of more successful series in the past which do draw marketing from their brand alone. They've generally argued that having a yearly market presence and a quality game alone over the years is a key part of their marketing strategy, this is something that has never existed in the cricket gaming market; the inconsistency of releases in terms of release year, quality and naming basically renders any argument of "but the naming doesn't help much" basically irrelevant, particularly given the number of series that do see value in it across a great number of sports.

To be fair though cricket sort of has a series which does have a consistent release and naming scheme, Cricket Captain, though the core game is basically unchanged over the past decade, though they've made good additions in recent years in terms of competitions and graphics. I'd love to catch the developers at some point to figure out how much they value their consistent brand, particularly given the minimal marketing they do otherwise.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
I mean, not to be a douche (which is a shame, because i do that so incredibly well), but i do kinda know what's going on with games (and sports games in particular) because i've been doing it professionally for like 13 years...

I'm not speculating here: I really do know my numbers...

Alberts

International Coach
I mean, not to be a douche (which is a shame, because i do that so incredibly well), but i do kinda know what's going on with games (and sports games in particular) because i've been doing it professionally for like 13 years...

I'm not speculating here: I really do know my numbers...

It's interesting because your numbers disagree with officially given figures, and the company accounts. Great to know that when pressed all you've got left is an appeal to authority though.

Alberts

International Coach
Got a link? Happy to revisit and revise.

Go look through Konami's accounts. They also tend to announce total sales for the series every few years, which suggests in excess of 3 million sales per version over the last 3 years (figures based on their March figures if I recall).

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
PES did a lot more than 1 million units last year. If you take vgchartz as a legitimate source though it's probably not worth discussing numbers with you though. PES has been doing well according to Konami's accounts, and it's one of the few series that were profitable enough for them to continue.

Except Football Manager has always lacked the key licences. In terms of major European League in the latest version they only have Ligue 1 and the Eredivisie, it's actually got less licences than PES.

I haven't read all the related posts but once I read the word VGChartz I had to chime in and say how far off the mark they are - they were out by 7000% on one of our titles. That said, NPD, the "official" source has been out by 500% on another of our titles (indeed, we were a subscriber and I cancelled based on the data being so hit & miss).

afrid

School Cricketer
Game has been released in pakistan it is availbe for buying

Users who are viewing this thread