ICC Cricket World Cup - May/July 2019

Who will be crowned the ODI World Champion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Brilliant game! Bangladesh a bit unfortunate to lose that one, they fought well indeed. If only they had a few more runs on board...

C Boomer

Club Captain
Yep well played Bangladesh but the black caps and particularly m.o.m. Taylor the difference in the end.

Can't wait for tomorrow's game, Windies v Aussies, should be another absolute cracker for sure, so until then

Goodnite from Northern Ireland .. " I don't like cricket, I love it " ❤️

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
That's some WWE shit right there.
:lol.. I mean I hate those people who say this is fixed just because things did not pan out how they wanted. Yes fixing is possible but in this day and age of social media, it is really tough to get a lot of people on board to fix. I know he was joking but still.. it irritates me to hear that.

A close victory there for New Zealand. I am happy that we the world cup games are getting better.. Bangladesh were definitely 20-30 runs short.

angad

Chairman of Consent
I don't believe in all this nonsense. If India need 60 to win in 5 overs and have just lost Dhawan or Rohit, will you send in Kohli or Pandya? The batting order depends on situations, not numbers to please statisticians or media morons. Kohli should bat 40 overs I feel. He is our best batsman but my belief that the ball will do something in England for 10 overs with 2 new balls is definitely coming true. I rather not lose Kohli then!

First you talk about a pre-match batting order change and then give an example about an in-game adjustment based on the team position :facepalm

Obviously in-game adjustments will be made to go with the match situation! The reply was to your suggestion of making Kohli bat at 4 as a tournament strategy. And my point of view for that is the same, No!!! Not unless the batting goes terribly wrong over the next few games. Kohli has batted at no.3, leading up to the tournament on all kinds of pitches. There is no reason to tinker with the batting order at this stage just because it's swinging.

angad

Chairman of Consent
New Zealand and the cricket community in general have been extremely complicit in the way they’ve treated Roscoe over the years IMO. He’s been in the top three ODI batsmen over the last few years and yet when people are asked about NZ’s best batsman, Williamson is the player who comes to everyone’s mind first. He’s a damn fine test cricketer, but Taylor’s been a class above him in limited overs cricket ever since his eye surgery, and has also only been slightly worse than him in tests anyways. Wish he finally gets the credit that he richly deserves.

When NZ plays against India, I'm always more worried about Ross than Williamson. A century from Ross will almost always put the team in a really good position with the way he takes the attack to the opposition.

SiriusBlack

ICC Chairman
I don't get all this hate for the World Cup and the format. I'm really enjoying it. And I absolutely love the format! I can't care less about India even playing a Netherlands or Bermuda. Cricket is not Football where there are a lot of equally established nations.

What? People have shown hate towards this format? I love it! A team plays every other once and that is what will make the tournament more competitive and will ensure the deserving teams get through to the semis.

I like the round robin format itself, but I think the tournament is too exclusive. I think the 2007 format was a great balance where smaller nations actually had an opportunity to enter the round robin part of the tournament by beating more experienced sides. That World Cup was the turning point for us as a nation - not only did we get a strong core of players, we also had a ton of investment going into cricket plus an increasing number of talented cricketers who were hungry to make it to that stage because they knew it was possible. I think at the very least, we should have more slots in the current format open to qualifiers. That way, the smaller nations gain more experience by playing more matches against bigger nations, and the bigger nations have more of an incentive to send stronger teams in those matches. I think that's the only way for cricket to grow more popular worldwide.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
First you talk about a pre-match batting order change and then give an example about an in-game adjustment based on the team position :facepalm

Obviously in-game adjustments will be made to go with the match situation! The reply was to your suggestion of making Kohli bat at 4 as a tournament strategy. And my point of view for that is the same, No!!! Not unless the batting goes terribly wrong over the next few games. Kohli has batted at no.3, leading up to the tournament on all kinds of pitches. There is no reason to tinker with the batting order at this stage just because it's swinging.

I am not talking about any sort of pre match arrangement. I don't mind Kohli walking out to bat at the end of the first over if the sun is out and the wicket is a belter. Yesterday, after having experienced the SA innings, it was quite evident that the track had a lot in it for the quicks specially when the ball was new. At this point, I think it's better to have Rahul wear the phase out than Kohli. Sometimes, some cricketers establish an "aura" around themselves and the psychology of it cannot be defined or felt in any tangible terms. Virat Kohli's presence itself is demoralising for the opposition and if he's not yet in, the captain is forced to think about conserving his best bowlers, have enough runs for Kohli etc etc etc. I'm not saying he should drop any further down, but there's a small strategic game there to be played in the best interest of the team. For all you know, Rahul & Rohit might have had a 100 run partnership and then Kohli could have been dismissed for nothing but there's a definite role he plays just within an opposition bowler's/Captain's head.

Having seen the wickets as I have so far in this tournament and realising the importance of VK, I definitely think that he should be a little more protected in these specific situations. It's not a sign of weakness, just a way of capitalising on his aura while ensuring stability.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I like the round robin format itself, but I think the tournament is too exclusive. I think the 2007 format was a great balance where smaller nations actually had an opportunity to enter the round robin part of the tournament by beating more experienced sides. That World Cup was the turning point for us as a nation - not only did we get a strong core of players, we also had a ton of investment going into cricket plus an increasing number of talented cricketers who were hungry to make it to that stage because they knew it was possible. I think at the very least, we should have more slots in the current format open to qualifiers. That way, the smaller nations gain more experience by playing more matches against bigger nations, and the bigger nations have more of an incentive to send stronger teams in those matches. I think that's the only way for cricket to grow more popular worldwide.

There is a lot of truth in what you say. But, the globalisation will not happen just by playing the World Cup and I think it's very important to realise this. The developing cricketing nations will only get better when they play better teams but it cannot happen once in four years. I think the 2007 World Cup was the least watched World Cup ever and the format promoted the value of an upset over consistency. I also think, for me personally, competition is more important than watching 20 different countries play. It's the reason the IPL gets so much viewership and money. There's competition. No offence but I can't care less about India vs Bermuda even if I know Rohit Sharma will make a triple century.

The "associate" teams need to be promoted, but the World Cup is not the stage for it. This is just my opinion. And I feel Bangladesh would have emerged regardless of the result in 2007. The outpour of love and adulation for cricket from the get go has been amazing to see. The same I think can be said for Afghanistan.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-ne...lia-west-indies-look-to-keep-winning-momentum

Hopefully WIndies don't rely on their bounce-em-out strategy against the Aussies and have a backup, else they will get a major drubbing from them. The likes of Warner, Smith, Finch are excellent players of the short ball and the pitch here also doesn't seem as conducive to bounce as the one in the game against Pakistan

Hoping for an interesting match

Neo 7

National Board President
India
Avengers

I think that was a good response from the board . So what if the team is losing , why would the board bring you in ?? It was he who wanted to retire at a mere age of JUST 35 , when he could have just after the WC .
Everyone his/her own its self-respect & the board just displayed it perfectly . And I pretty liked this gesture & also believe in it .

And wouldn't it be a disrespect to the player whom AB would replace ?

Last edited:

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I think that was a good response from the board . So what if the team is losing , why would the board bring you in ?? It was he who wanted to retire at a mere age of JUST 35 , when he could have just after the WC .
Everyone his/her own its self-respect & the board just displayed it perfectly . And I pretty liked this gesture & also believe in it .

And wouldn't it be a disrespect to the player whom AB would replace ?

Duminy is 35 and has done nothing since forever. Rassie himself is 30, but his spot was never a question. Miller has done practically nothing of note in ages, but then again his spot isn't a question. Amla?

I think even as a die hard AB fan, the decision is not something I detest or feel malice about but I also don't think everything lies in AB's court. What I have made of the whole scenario is that de Villiers wanted a break after the two test series he played against India and Australia, both of which were fiercely competitive and mentally exhausting to watch, let alone be a part of and have played a winning role in. He had quit tests and was persuaded by Gibson and co to return. If you cannot then give him respite from those meaningless bilaterals, well, this is the position you find yourself in (South Africa cricket). Kohli didn't play the Asia cup. Dhoni only plays limited overs but his wishes for rest are respected and granted, rightly so. Dhoni doesn't even play LIST A anymore. The amount of cricket that is played these days is bananas. Personally, I feel the English, Australian and Indian boards have done a superb job in managing their marquee players. It not only helps them develop bench strength, but also keeps their gun players energised. Even Pakistan now have started adopting this strategy as seen with the rest given to Sarfaraz.

If there is any doubt whether AB would/could have influenced the results of SA this World Cup, rewind to the IPL this year.. he's not in the PlayStation mode he was in, in 2015 but he would EASILY still be the top 5 batters in the world and EASILY the best in South Africa! Have South Africa needed it? Jesus Christ they have!

This actually completely explains his sudden retirement announcement. It is clear now that he was driven into it rather than him choosing to do it. Too religious to fake injury, honest catholic, patriotic.. it all makes sense.

Who's lost out? South Africa and cricket lovers. He would have been a sight to behold on these tracks.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
West Indies are to cricket what Brazil is to soccer.. flair, mercurial, enigmatic, emotion and everyone has a soft corner for them!

Users who are viewing this thread