Indian Premier League - General Discussion

Looks like the "Hardik Pandya trade to Mumbai Indians for an all cash deal with no exchange" is almost confirmed! Absolute brain dead decision by the Gujarat management to go through with this (if it happens!). How can you release your captain, who has won you a title in your first season and almost defended it in your second season?

Mumbai Indians have to release someone big to ensure that they have some sort of a purse going into the 2024 auctions. They get 5 crores as additional purse, but need much more to release to make it up. I am still flabbergasted at this move, but nothing to worry as this is how it felt when they signed up Archer to partner Bumrah but then, Archer almost never turned up good enough for MI. Maybe they might release Archer himself into the auction?

To be fair, even if Hardik Pandya asked GT ko move him back to Mumbai Indians,

GT should have just released him and let him get into auction, they would have got that 15 cr back anyway. Grabbing him in auction would have been much harder for MI.

Hardik cannot ask for a "move to a particular franchise". Thats against the rules. All he can ask for, is to be released. Jadeja was banned from IPL in 2010's when he contacted Mumbai Indians asking for a trade or something, and he was banned for doing so. If Hardik is found to have asked MI to initiate the trade, he will be in serious trouble.

Hope the IPL watchdogs are investigating the ongoing situation, very carefully!

Increasing talks of Hardik being traded to MI being reported… makes no sense for GT that.

CSK are apparently releasing Pretorius and one of Jamieson/Magala. I would have liked to see Pretorius retained unless he’s declining massively.

Between Pretorius and Magala, I would actually want them to retain Magala. He has much faster speeds, as good (or maybe even better) a death bowler AND probably a better big hitter with the bat. And he is also a few years younger than Pretorius.

I would release Pretorius and Jamieson and keep Magala.

Last edited:
I would release Pretorius and Jamieson and keep Magala.
All 3 of them are nothing too special in T20s these days. Magala is decent but he's coming off an injury layoff, I say release all 3 to beef up the purse and splurge in the auction

All 3 of them are nothing too special in T20s these days. Magala is decent but he's coming off an injury layoff, I say release all 3 to beef up the purse and splurge in the auction

Yeah. But getting death bowlers and/or all rounders in auctions is pretty hard. I’m sure other teams will make it hard. Keep just one amongst the three, and my choice is Magala.

I’d try to go for Coetzee obviously. Jamieson is the one I’m least fond of unless he does a Hazlewood. I’d actually rather keep Pretorius but I’m not aware of his recent numbers, fitness or form. However I expect them to keep Jamieson in the end due to him having the biggest potential upside.

Damn…

'Undisclosed transfer fee'. Ithu Ambani Parambarai, Anjada Thalaimurai.... (Tamil lines from a famous Tamil movie song; Translated to "This is Ambani's kingdom; one that doesnt give a damn...") :D

I’d try to go for Coetzee obviously. Jamieson is the one I’m least fond of unless he does a Hazlewood. I’d actually rather keep Pretorius but I’m not aware of his recent numbers, fitness or form. However I expect them to keep Jamieson in the end due to him having the biggest potential upside.
I was gonna say release him and buy back for cheaper, but just checked and he only went for 1CR, I seem to remember him going for a rather large sum.

What about Deepak Chahar taking up 14CR? Worth it?

I was gonna say release him and buy back for cheaper, but just checked and he only went for 1CR, I seem to remember him going for a rather large sum.

What about Deepak Chahar taking up 14CR? Worth it?

We managed to get him for cheap because he came up a bit later in the auction especially after the big three all-rounders and Brook went for a lot of money. His poor season at RCB previously where he was paid a lot didn’t help him either, you may be referring to that with the large sum.

I’ve said before that almost no player is worth that much amount of money unless they give you ironclad consistent performances that get you wins like prime Dre Russ, Warner, AbD, Raina or they’re extremely good at other aspects of the game like fielding, captaincy and off the field such as Rohit and Dhoni. A large reason why CSK have won their recent titles is because of players who are on cheaper contracts turning up and performing really well beyond expectations, there’s almost too many to list at this point.

From that perspective I’d say Chahar is absolutely not worth it especially with his fragile fitness. The issue is that we can’t get an equally quality domestic seamer in the auction and the other sides can’t either… which means releasing him to try and buy him back cheaply may just backfire. The alternative would be to go after an unproven pacer in the auction similar to how Chahar was originally bought. At the moment though I’d rather think of it as Conway and Chahar together costing 15 crores which is certainly worth it. :D

Damn…

Is this the start of the transfer and contracts system in the IPL that I’ve wanted?

On one hand I do think it’ll lead to greater player freedom, choice and movement which are all good from a worker perspective. It does also mean that the rich teams on a relative scale can easily build a stronger playing roster more directly. Previously you’d have to scout for the unknown gems or do it via retention contracts where you pay under the table.

Prior to GT being a part of the IPL, Hardik Pandya was a mere all-rounder. He wasn't highly regarded- it was only after he led GT to the title that his India captaincy started doing the rounds. His injury-prone ness also doesn't help him.

Initially, I thought it was a pretty brain dead decision by GT-however, the below pointers could be a reason for GT to release him:
1. Age: Not exactly old, but don't think he can carry on for long. Maybe 3-4 years. GT might have factored that in. This is more valid considering that they might want to elevate Shubman sooner or later.

2. Injury: The barrage of injuries that Pandya picks up is quite tedious for a franchisee to manage. Letting go of Pandya and settling for an upcoming AR might not be a bad option

3. Succession Planning: As mentioned above, Gill is waiting in the wings. There is a lot of talk of a mega auction+ new teams in 2025. Pandya,as captain might only be able to contribute for 2-3 years. Makes sense for GT to start looking beyond him.

Pretorius was leading wicket taker in the CPL.
Is this the start of the transfer and contracts system in the IPL that I’ve wanted?

On one hand I do think it’ll lead to greater player freedom, choice and movement which are all good from a worker perspective. It does also mean that the rich teams on a relative scale can easily build a stronger playing roster more directly. Previously you’d have to scout for the unknown gems or do it via retention contracts where you pay under the table.
Sounds like Mumbai are just taking the piss when comes to following the rules (I don't know the rules to be honest).

Pretorius was leading wicket taker in the CPL.

Sounds like Mumbai are just taking the piss when comes to following the rules (I don't know the rules to be honest).

I don’t think there’s a rule prohibiting a direct wish of players type of transfer and if there is one it’s been long swept under the rug, Dhawan got traded to Delhi and he asked for it.

Prior to GT being a part of the IPL, Hardik Pandya was a mere all-rounder. He wasn't highly regarded- it was only after he led GT to the title that his India captaincy started doing the rounds. His injury-prone ness also doesn't help him.

Initially, I thought it was a pretty brain dead decision by GT-however, the below pointers could be a reason for GT to release him:
1. Age: Not exactly old, but don't think he can carry on for long. Maybe 3-4 years. GT might have factored that in. This is more valid considering that they might want to elevate Shubman sooner or later.

2. Injury: The barrage of injuries that Pandya picks up is quite tedious for a franchisee to manage. Letting go of Pandya and settling for an upcoming AR might not be a bad option

3. Succession Planning: As mentioned above, Gill is waiting in the wings. There is a lot of talk of a mega auction+ new teams in 2025. Pandya,as captain might only be able to contribute for 2-3 years. Makes sense for GT to start looking beyond him.

A ‘mere’ all-rounder who can bowl over 140 clicks and bat at over 140 SR in most games is gold dust and that alone makes him valuable, let alone being a domestic player.

Injuries may be the biggest reason why they’ve ultimately decided to do it along with not wanting an unhappy leader, seems like he’s been in discussions with MI since the IPL ended.

I don’t think there’s a rule prohibiting a direct wish of players type of transfer and if there is one it’s been long swept under the rug, Dhawan got traded to Delhi and he asked for it.
Just makes me think what's the point of the auction and salary cap. Although, I'm sure the cap has been consistently navigated around by franchises over the years.
A ‘mere’ all-rounder who can bowl over 140 clicks and bat at over 140 SR in most games is gold dust and that alone makes him valuable, let alone being a domestic player.

Injuries may be the biggest reason why they’ve ultimately decided to do it along with not wanting an unhappy leader, seems like he’s been in discussions with MI since the IPL ended.
Hardik as a player is massive - he's one of a kind Indian player. Proven during the World Cup and is proven consistently by the overseas players who get huge sums for doing what he does or similar.

Two finals including a win as captain at Titans too.

Plus branding wise. Could only be Kohli that has more value to a team and that's probably heavily weighted on his brand value compared with Hardik's all-round contribution as player.

Users who are viewing this thread