1st Test: England v Australia at Nottingham Jul 10-14, 2013

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
That 3rd Umpire decision though - that was a shocker; could be a very costly shocker as well.

I wouldn't agree. You couldn't say with 90% certainty that it was out; so the third umpire shouldn't in my opinion give it out. It was similar to the decision that got (Root?) out in the Champions Trophy Final; and look at the reaction to that when it was given when the Third Umpire couldn't possibly be sure...

Meet

Chairman of Selectors
I wouldn't agree. You couldn't say with 90% certainty that it was out; so the third umpire shouldn't in my opinion give it out. It was similar to the decision that got (Root?) out in the Champions Trophy Final; and look at the reaction to that when it was given when the Third Umpire couldn't possibly be sure...
Yeah they need to be 100 and 10% sure to give em out. ;)
If there's even a little bit uncertainty, the decision should go batsman's way....

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
How could you say that he didn't hit that!

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
No hotspot. Snicko seemed to confirm that there was no hit, but it was past the frame.

The front camera isn't a huge amount of help for inside edges - and the side camera apparently wasn't working... It seems a little wrong to allow an over-rule if one of the main hotspot cameras has technical problems... Should have gone back to the umpires decision and given Australia the review back...

Meet

Chairman of Selectors
A shaky start for England here. The loss of trott should be quite big in these situation. AUS have a clear upper hand this stage.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
What a knock by Agar. Reminded me of Tino Best against England, 6 months back.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Time for the KP show. Big partnership required.

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
Nasser Hussain makes Michael Slater seem like a good commentator! The decision was made.. MOVE ON!

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Man I'm glad I didn't submit that post yesterday bashing Agar's selection! Fun knock, though looking at his FC record, he has no business being at 11, a position fit for luminaries like McGrath, Best, Martin, Finn, et. al.

Still not sold on his bowling, and I still feel for poor Nathan Lyon (who will probably miss out on the second test now), but boy you can't pick a bone with that innings. That was a joy to watch in all the dour surroundings.

LegBreakGoogly

Club Captain
Profile Flag
South Africa
People need to give Agar a chance to settle in, bowling wise. For Pete's sake, He is only 19!

----------

Although he can give it a bigger rip.

Last edited:

superfreddie

Club Captain
Just seen how Trott was given out, wtf happened to batsman benefit of the doubt. How can it be given out when side on hotspot isn't working, could quite easily have shown an inside edge, it looked like one from slow mo. There was doubt without side on hotspot so it should have been not out.

LegBreakGoogly

Club Captain
Profile Flag
South Africa
Just seen how Trott was given out, wtf happened to batsman benefit of the doubt. How can it be given out when side on hotspot isn't working, could quite easily have shown an inside edge, it looked like one from slow mo. There was doubt without side on hotspot so it should have been not out.

To be fair, the benefit of doubt is not a rule.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Benefit of the doubt isn't a rule but it's clearly wrong to overturn a decision of not out when one of the cameras isn't working.
The third umpire moments have had a big impact on the match so far most notably the stumping but the Trott one could be critical as well. Interesting to speculate about Hotspot's accuracy too considering that Joe Root chose not to review his edge implying he hit it and Hotspot showed nothing. Had he reviewed the decision might have been over-turned.
Would be interesting to hear what he has to say.

Even day in the end. England could have been well ahead but Aus have fought back well. Still an advantage to my mind not to have to bat last on this pitch (especially with the footmarks for Swann) but I think Australia would be confident chasing anything up to 250.

If England can get the lead over 300 it's game, set and match.

Users who are viewing this thread