2nd Test: England v Australia at Lord's

Dear God, turns out Huss didn't hit it. That's 3 wickets that never were so far this innings!!

Can't really say that was a howler by the umpire because full speed from the umpires view it just looked like a regulation outside edge and catch.

I have to say I blame the ICC and the umpires for messing up quite so much when the review system was being used. Had they shown even a shred of competence the system would have been in operation this series and Aus wouldn't be 4 down.

Interesting to see what the game would look like right now if the referral system was in play. I'm still undecided on that whole issue.

And Hussey is fighting for his career as well. Probably wasn't going to be dropped after this test anyway but certainly will build the pressure up for the next test.

I have to say I blame the ICC and the umpires for messing up quite so much when the review system was being used. Had they shown even a shred of competence the system would have been in operation this series and Aus wouldn't be 4 down.

Both England and Australian didn't want it being used in the series if my memory serves me right though.

This innings is obviously a case for the referral system to be introduced, but I maintain and always have maintained that the system is complete gash.

Dear God, turns out Huss didn't hit it. That's 3 wickets that never were so far this innings!!

Agreed, they shouldn't have been given (still undecided about the Strauss catch), but these things always even themselves out in the end.

I'm going to post something controversial here that I don't want to be debated at length (!) but I'm no longer convinced about the speed guns either. ;)
Usually when I watch Broad and Anderson they are in the 85-88 bracket with a few touching 90. Right now they're both bowling 90-93 consistently. Strange one.

High-speed cameras are pretty accurate, Colin. There isn't some bloke sitting in the stand pointing a speed gun (aka police bloke at side of the oad) just pointing at the pitch the whole day!

Don't know where you've been, but for a while they've both been bowling at those speeds for a while, maybe not overseas.

I don't think anyone can criticise the umpires for that Hussey wicket, the sound was perfect and happened a few hundredths of a second after the ball went past the bat. Just one of those things. It happens.

This innings is obviously a case for the referral system to be introduced, but I maintain and always have maintained that the system is complete gash.

Agree. The NZ-WI series when they used it was rubbish, they still made mistakes to.

Interesting to see what the game would look like right now if the referral system was in play. I'm still undecided on that whole issue.

Both England and Australian didn't want it being used in the series if my memory serves me right though.

They didn't want it used and I said at the time the decision was crazy. All through the two Windies series when the review system was being turned into a complete joke I was consistently maintaining that the problem was human and not technological. Unclear guidelines and lack of training meant they abandoned their half-arsed system for this series.
The last thing I want England to do is win without doing it properly. As I said earlier I want to beat the Aussies fair and square so there is no room for complaints. As you rightly say they've got no right to complain when they said they didn't want the system but that won't stop them.

Users who are viewing this thread