3d models for TAOC

For added realism, are the Pakistani stadiums going to be omitted?!

Also, I'm going to be taking a brief break from stadium modelling as I'm getting a bit bored with it I must say! Won't be much more than a week though I wouldn't have thought.

Lol, yeah, that does happen...just ask JK ;)

Lol, yeah, that does happen...just ask JK ;)

The amount of times I've done Mesh->Combine, Edit Mesh->Merge, Create UVs->Planar->Best Plane!! It's driven me absolutely mental. Is there anything else I can be doing which might be helpful? That BMP extracty code thingy? Is that likely to be implemented?

The amount of times I've done Mesh->Combine, Edit Mesh->Merge, Create UVs->Planar->Best Plane!! It's driven me absolutely mental. Is there anything else I can be doing which might be helpful? That BMP extracty code thingy? Is that likely to be implemented?

Yeah, and you could have a go at the billboard crowd too? ;)

OK I'll write the BMP importy thing. I'll do both an in-memory version and a read-from file version so you can choose. I'm going to assume that (0,0) is in the very centre spot of the pitch. Sound about right?

OK I'll write the BMP importy thing. I'll do both an in-memory version and a read-from file version so you can choose. I'm going to assume that (0,0) is in the very centre spot of the pitch. Sound about right?

Correct, (0,0) is centre. Id prefer to read from file.

cheers

I'm thinking of making a quick utility to view the 3DS stadium meshes in a DirectX9c graphics engine, so we can see what they will look like in game? Does this seem like:
a) a sensible idea; and
b) a realistic goal (i.e. will it take me forever to write?)

Yo the hardest stand of Feroz Shah Kotla is almost done! i am so happy that the hardest part is almost done. I will post previews soon. What happened to everyone at the forum? no one is posting anything now. What happened to the other modelers?

Yo the hardest stand of Feroz Shah Kotla is almost done! i am so happy that the hardest part is almost done. I will post previews soon. What happened to everyone at the forum? no one is posting anything now. What happened to the other modelers?

let see your work again... :)

I'm thinking of making a quick utility to view the 3DS stadium meshes in a DirectX9c graphics engine, so we can see what they will look like in game? Does this seem like:
a) a sensible idea; and
b) a realistic goal (i.e. will it take me forever to write?)

What i would love to see is a stadium editor ;)

So you would be able to choose from premade objects (should be quite a lot of them for variety) - different stands, pavillion types and buildings. You'd be able to change colours and textures and stuff. Obviously most stadiums are unique and have some outstanding feature. This would be hard to capture, but i think a lot of generic stadiums could be made this way. The success of it would be in the amount of different objects that were available to choose from. Then you would position the objects around a default oval with adboards and 'construct' the stadium layout. After it's done you could save it and export to .3DS

Very hard to write, but would be awesome!

LM

talking about features, it would be cool if there would be different cameras in the game. I mean like in cricket 07, the camera just follows the ball everytime it goes for a six or boundary. There should be cameras from different angles. Also, the ball should bounce often like in real cricket. For example, 3 or 4 bounces to the boundary. In cricket 07, the ball barely bounces twice. Also, diving catches, direct hits for runouts, and more LBWs. Will it rain during the match if its a rainy weather? I know i should be posting this in the discussion thread but since you were on the topic so i commented.

The reason the Cricket 07 ball only bounces once (I'm assuming you're correct as it's ages since I've played it) is that no cricket game so far has correctly implemented the physics of a bouncing ball. It is not as simple as just reversing the Y component of direction and reducing it a bit, whilst slightly slowing down the horizontal motion. Depending on the direction the ball comes from, the ball digs into the ground and loses a lot of speed.

For example, if a hook is skied and lands 10m in from the boundary rope, it will quite often not get to the rope, as the ball digs into the ground losing a lot of it's horizontal momentum. I hope that this will be well implemented in TAOC.

Also, the same is true when bowling. Simply saying that the ball should bounce up (vertical component only) at 0.65x the original velocity, will not suffice. This may be true when the ball is bowled at a full length, but if you bowl a bouncer, the coefficient of restitution is reduced significantly due to the ball digging into the pitch. If this were not the case, bouncers would fly miles over the keeper's head, which is what happens in BLIC, because it is a game made by morons for children.

Yeah exactly, if a universal physics engine with the laws of Kinetics / Kinematics be evolved for TAOC it would be awesome. Like this system could be used for the ball bouncing on the bat, as well as on the ground, the pitch, ofcourse with different coefficient of restitution values. Momentum of a particle could be treated as a Vector quantity, with components and directions as such. If I can solve such problems being in Class 11'th and in like 5 mins, I'm sure our processors can do that much early.

Moreover, when a ball is edged, its sometimes rolling as well, which means when it bounces certain rolling friction is applied on it as well which reduces its overall Kinetic Energy.

Users who are viewing this thread