5th Test: Australia v England at the SCG - 3-7 Jan

Can you imagine the uproar if we don't beat Sri Lanka & India at home later on this year?

Bairstow, i'm sorry but he's no where near Test standard.

Am I the only one has seen a lower order batsman get based 10? Surely Broad should be getting some credit for throwing his arms at the ball and getting through the follow on score.

Could easily struggle against India. These young guys like Vijaym Dhawan, Rahane and Kohli seem to have coped OK in Africa against very good bowlers. One bit of good news is that their seam attack is still dreadful. Shami is OK but Zaheer is clearly feeling the strain, and Ishant is one of the worst bowlers I've ever seen.

Can you imagine the uproar if we don't beat Sri Lanka & India at home later on this year?

Bairstow, i'm sorry but he's no where near Test standard.

It wouldn't surprise me if India beats England next year. They have done away with deadwoods like Tendulkar, Sehwag, Laxman, Gambhir etc. and the new guys in Kohli, Vijay, Pujara, Rahane etc. have performed much better.

Do keep in mind India recently blanked this very Aussie team 4-0 at home, won Champions Trophy in England and gave South Africa all they could handle in SA. If India can find a strike bowler or two I would expect them to get the better of England.

Totally agree with Gillespie on Gooch's interview. Bang out of order to start describing how bad the pitch is when the guys have got to go out there one last time and bat on it.

Also, it's obvious there is a split in the batting and bowling camp. It is noticeable how frustrated the likes of Broad and Anderson are in the field after the batters fail. And Gooch was certainly quick to blame the bowlers for letting Australia get too many in this test. Makes me even more certain that a lot of the coaching staff should move on. Pleased to hear Flower is staying though. Think he can sort this out given time.

^I'm the opposite to you - I would dump Flower. I think anytime a talented team loses 5-0 there needs to be a backroom shake-up. If the players could sort it out themselves, they would have played better in these last 2-3 Tests. Change the coaching/support staff/culture, and see if that fixes attitudes and/or performances. It certainly worked for Australia.

The reason I wouldn't dump Cook, but would dump Flower is that Cook has a future in the England team - captain or not. Flower does not. Persist with Cook a little longer and hope England turns it around under his captaincy.

There's always been a batter/bowler split. The former have let the latter down way more times in the past 3 years though.

Gooch isn't going to come out and criticise Cook majorly, simply because of their history together. Regarding his coaching, I think the problem with the batting has been more mental that technical. But that's probably his call too. The only fear I have of changing the Coaching is that Ashley Giles will take over, so personally, I'd much rather keep Flower. Changes needed though, especially in selection.

England would do well to lose by less than 200 runs.

----------

No idea why I'm still watching this...

Admit it *accidents are tough to turn away from. You know you shouldn't watch but you can't stop taking another peek.

*in this case it's more a disaster but my point remains

And there goes Captain Cook for the final time this series :(

Users who are viewing this thread