6th Match, Group B: NSW v Sussex at Delhi

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
NSW started on a high with a win over the hapless Eagles who looked out of their depth against the International pace attack from NSW. The Sussex batters should fare much better with a few being International or ex Internationals while the rest would have come across International bowlers in the County circuit. Both sides have long batting lineups with Sussex batting down to 10 while NSW can do likewise if Bird plays over Bollinger and Clark himself is no mug with the bat.

Both sides have strong batting lineups with Dwayne Smith and David Warner capable of taking the game away from the opposition. Sussex bowling lineup isn't as well known as the NSW one but Kirtley was the second highest wicket taker in the T20 Cup and Chawla has huge wraps.

Watch out for
The Sussex medium-pacers, of whom there are a few, will aim to emulate NSW and Victoria in their respective games in Delhi where they maintained a tight line, exploited the low bounce, and played a critical role in shutting out the opposition.

Piyush Chawla's Twenty20 record is impressive with an economy rate of 7.33 and a strike-rate of 18.4; his variations should test the NSW batsmen.

Simon Katich led by example against the Eagles, opting for patience over aggression on a difficult pitch and took his team to a match-winning score. Add to that experience of Stuart Clark and the all-round skills of Moises Henrqiues, and NSW have enough talent to bank on to make it two in two.

Sussex face stiff test, Delhi elimination | Cricket News | Champions League Twenty20 2009 | Cricinfo.com

Predicted lineup

NSW might think about bringing in the explosive Bird over Bollinger who was the least effective of the bowlers. Steven Smith spinners weren't quite effective in the first match but his previous form should see him stay ahead of Thornely.

NSW: David Warner, Philip Hughes, Simon Katich, Moises Henriques, Ben Rorher, Steven Smith, Daniel Smith+, Brett Lee, Nathan Hauritz, Bird/Bollinger, Stuart Clark

Sussex will probably play a similar lineup to the one that won them the Twenty20 Cup against Somerset with Chawla replacing Beer. The addition of Chawla means Kirtley will be the only player considered a pure bowler which means the keeper could well bat at 10.

Sussex: Murray Goodwin, Luke Wright, Rory Hamilton-Brown, Dwayne Smith, Ed Joyce, Michael Yardy, Chris Nash, Yasir Arafat, , Andy Hodd+, James Kirtley

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Yep that sounds about right for the Blues. Their biggest problem would be 2 or 3 quick wickets I think, as that middle order is probably the only weakness. In that case Thornely could be a better option than Smith.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Is this not being shown in England? I've had a look and it isn't being shown on the same channel as yesterday unless the schedule is wrong. I'm sure it was on Eurosport yesterday but I can't find it.

Themer added 15 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

Found the match.

Looking forward to this Sussex should give a good show of themselves but I see NSW edging this.

Just seen that Goodwin, Yardy and Wright aren't playing don't see Sussex doing it without them those three are big losses for them.

Last edited:

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Dwayne Smiths ability in the field astounds me everytime I see him. Brilliant run out that did well just to stop it let alone knock the stumps down with only one to aim at.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Dwayne Smith is such a talented cricketer, just can't seem to find any consistency. I believe he should be in the West Indies T20 and ODi sides. He's so powerful with the bat, he can change a game in a matter of overs, he's handy with the ball (certainly more so than Lendl Simmons or Brendan Nash ffs) and exceptional in the field. Really is a potential waste of real talent.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
What a bizarre innings. Of course, we understand the state of the pitch from the other night, but having avoided getting out, or even using Katich, they'll be disappointed if it proves not enough.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Another win for the Blues, Sussex held below 100 and NSW have secured their position in the next stage. Henriques was comfortably the man of the match, with his 3 wickets and exciting half century. His 51 was easily the highlight, especially when you consider noone for Sussex even hit a six, much less batted for 33 deliveries.

CricketPunk

Club Cricketer
Woo, held both opponents under 100 and into the next round! Very professional effort also developing some man love for Moises Henriques.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Haha after the first 2 overs I said to my brother, doesn't matter we're going slow - they won't break 100. Delhi batted well here, but I gotta say these are awful pitches and it shows the stupidity of trying to squeeze in tournaments here and there when it's not quite the best part of the cricket season yet.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
To be fair, Sussex never stood a chance today. They were essentially missing 4 of their normal top 6 or so ideally, which meant once Joyce was out, they were always going to struggle. Chawla at 6 shows that.

I should mention Goodwin being banned because of his ICL links is a joke to be honest.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Another good win for NSW. The bowling perfomance looked really good. Lee's wicket ball was a beauty, I could watch that all day! Interesting to see that Hauritz only bowled one over but that was probably because Stevie Smith bowled well.

Blues in the next round! :thumbs

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Interesting captaincy, we seem to be giving some players a try like Dan Smith at 3 and Steven Smith bowling 4 overs. The latter worked very nicely, Smith's bowling has coming along nicely.

This looks to be the making of Henriques, hes finally delivering with bat and ball, most impressive is his batting.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
As expected NSW would be far too strong, when I saw that they batted out their 20 overs and had only made 130 with wickets in hand I was a little confused, but hearing that the pitch was a shocker it just shows how much class is in this team.

Users who are viewing this thread