Page last updated:7 July 2010
email.gif
E-mail this to a friend
print.gif
Printable version

BBC Football ? My Club ? Premier League ? Liverpool

WINDOW WATCH: LIVERPOOL

signings.jpg

Its been one of the poorest season's for Liverpool. Having finished runners up to Manchester United in the 2008-09 season, many backed the Merseyside giants to finally break their Premier League hoodoo, and claim their first league title since the 1989-90 season. But the Reds finished seventh in the league and were knocked out of the Champions League in group stages.

Liverpool now can look forward to an exciting transfer window, if the Reds owners are to be trusted. The newly appointed Shantanu Ambekar is expected to be given a huge budget to strengthen the side during the transfer windown and hopefully he takes the full advantage of it.

Ambekar will be looking to add some future talent and the signing of Rangers' talented starlet Danny Wilson is certainly one for the future, but the club are also in need of some marquee signings. Players who will settle quickly in the Premier League and have an huge impact.

Here, BBC Sport looks at some of the players who will be on Shantanu's shortlist this summer.

56123937.jpg

nedumonuoha.jpg

Name: Nedum Onuoha
Position: Defender
Potential cost: ?8m
Club: Manchester City

The talented 23-year-old seems surplus to requirements at Eastlands, and with 113 senior appearances under his belt, including 94 Premier League matches, would certainly need no time to settle into the league.

Sign or swerve? SWERVE
Do you agree?

56123937.jpg

fabiocoentrao.png

Name: Fabio Coentrao
Position: Defender
Potential cost: ?15m
Club: Benfica

The 22-year-old could be the right man to replace Insua, who looks to be heading to the Serie A during the summer.

Sign or swerve? SWERVE
Do you agree?

56123937.jpg

luissuarezm.jpg

Name: Luis Suarez
Position: Striker
Potential cost: ?15m
Club: Ajax

Has been scoring goals for fun in the Dutch league. He could be the ideal partner for Fernando Torres or even the perfect replacement for the Spaniard.

Sign or swerve? SIGN
Do you agree?

56123937.jpg

lassanadiarra.png

Name: Lassana Diarra
Position: Midfield
Potential Cost: ?20m
Club: Real Madrid

Seems surplus to requirements under the new Madrid coach Jose Mourinho and with the experience of playing in the Premier League, the former Arsenal and Chelsea man could be the perfect replacement for Javier Mascherano.

Sign or swerve? SIGN
Do you agree?

56123937.jpg

ashleyyoung.jpg

Name: Ashley Young
Position: Midfield
Potential Cost: ?15m
Club: Aston Villa

Liverpool need a left winger and Ashley Young could be the right choice. Young has been sensational for Aston Villa since his arrival for Watford.

Sign or swerve? SIGN
Do you agree?

Last edited:

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned

sportheader.png

Page last updated:9 July 2010
email.gif
E-mail this to a friend
print.gif
Printable version

BBC Football ? My Club ? Premier League ? Liverpool

STEVEN GERRARD COMMITS TO LIVERPOOL

stevengerrard001.jpg

Liverpool star Steven Gerrard claims he has no intention of joining Real Madrid or any other club and has pledged his future to the English giants.

The England captain has been linked with an ?30m move to Santiago Bernabeu, with reports suggesting that Real Madrid agreed a deal with him to join the club after the World Cup. The playmaker insists, however, that he is focused solely on winning silverware with Liverpool, who are targeting a league, FA Cup and Europa League treble this season.

"Me going to Real Madrid? I'm staying as a Liverpool player," Gerrard told Liverpool's official website. "I should help Liverpool to win the trophies we're up for this season. The club have made some great signings and Joe Cole will fit in without any problems.

"I can confirm that I had no talks with Real Madrid or Jose Mourinho. I've always said I'm happy at Liverpool and as long as my aims remain the same as Liverpool's I'll stay here. Until now it's always been that way. My goal is to win, and even the club's. As long as it is like that, I'll remain at Liverpool."

However, the Anfield captain has clearly been impressed by Ambekar having met the 39-year-old shortly after he replaced Rafael Ben?tez as manager at the start of the month. And, despite the fact they will not be playing in the Champions League next season, believes he can instigate a turnaround.

I wanted the chance to meet Shantanu Ambekar privately and having done so, I'm very impressed with his plans for the future," said Gerrard. "We both share the same aim of winning trophies at Liverpool and I am very eager to work with him."

Doubts, though, remain over the future of Fernando Torres and Javier Mascherano.

ARay

County Cricketer
Expensive signings! I hope you manage to gel them well in the team.
Ps- For Nedum its written age 18. But in the information you had written 23.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
71574316.png
17058974.png

Liverpool Pre-Season Transfers 2010/11

article12797227368440a8.jpg

88331043.png

As Shantanu Ambekar begins his first day of work at Liverpool, liverpoolfc.tv looks back at the transfers which took place during the pre-season. The major transfer of all was ofcourse the capture of England international Joe Cole from champions Chelsea for free.

In:
Jonjo Shelvey - ?1.7m (Charlton Athletic)
Milan Jovanovic - Free (Standard Liege)
Joe Cole - Free (Chelsea)
Danny Wilson - ?2m (Rangers)
Christian Poulsen - ?4.5m (Juventus)
Brad Jones - ?2.3m (Middlesbrough)

Out:
Mikel San Jose - Undisc. (Athletic Bilbao)
Robbie Threfall - Undisc. (Bradford City)
Yossi Benayoun - ?5.5m (Chelsea)
Albert Riera - ?5m (Olympiacos)
David Martin - Free (MK Dons)
Ray Putterill - Free (Accrington Stanley)
Philipp Degen - Loan (Stuttgart)

55231925.png
62782628.png

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
de8gu1.jpg

Torres to stay at Liverpool
12th July 2010

fernandotorresanddirk00.jpg

Torres with Kuyt in training

Liverpool star striker Fernando Torres has ended speculation linking him with a move away from Anfield by confirming his commitment to the Premier League club.

"Firstly I would like to apologise to all the Liverpool supporters for not speaking sooner about my future," the 26-year old Spain forwrad said in a statement on Liverpool's website. ""I had never thougght about leaving this club and I don't know from where these rumours came from."

"I must say I am very delighted that I am at the best club at the moment. The fans have been very great towards me since I arrived here and I have show them some respect by showing my loyalty to the club. Liverpool have a new manager and I believe he is the right man for the job.

Newly appointed Liverpool manager Shantanu Ambekar, who remained adamant that Gerrard and Torres would remain at the club, this week called on his star striker to end the speculation surrounding his future.

"I had many talks with Shantanu Ambekar on the phone over the last few days. I am very impressed with his plan for the progress of the club and eager to work for him. I owe a lot to the club and will now concentrate completely on the new season ahead."

The striker who joined the club in 2007 from Atletico Madrid had been heavily linked with Premier League champions Chelsea throughout the summer, who had two bids turned down in the close season, including a 45 million-pound offer, according to British media reports.

Torres helped Spain win Euro 2008 - by scoring the winner against Germany - and also last month's World Cup though he failed to score.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
de8gu1.jpg

Liverpool seal Chhetri deal
13th July 2010

sunilchhetrionhispressc.jpg

Chhetri:L First Indian to play in the Premier League

The new Liverpool manager Shantanu Ambekar has stunned the whole world by making Sunil Chhetri his first signing at Anfield.

The 26-year old who previously played for Mohun Bagan, JCT, East Bengal and Dempo in India joins the club from Major League Soccer side Kanas City Wizards for an undisclosed fee. The Indian international has signed a two-year deal at the club.

Shantanu Ambekar told on the club's official website: "Sunil is a crafty player. Technically he's very sharp, and he's a guy that has good attacking tendencies. We are very happy to have signed him."

Chhetri who becomes the first Indian to sign for a Premier League club told LFC TV: "I am delighted. I always dreamt of playing in Europe alongside the best players and today my dream has come through. I am very eager to play alongside Gerrard and Torres at Liverpool."

calebelfc

School Cricketer
Loving this story as a scouser myself!!

Looking forward to seeing how the new Indian influence affects the club. Will no doubt be better than those two Yanks.

Like the signing of Luis Suarez.

Is this on Football Manager btw??

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
de8gu1.jpg

Mascherano completes 'dream' move
18th July 2010

javiermascherano006.jpg

Mascherano unveiled at Nou Camp

Javier Mascherano has finalised his dream move from Liverpool to Barcelona after signing a four-year deal, the Spanish champions confirmed this evening.

Mascherano was unveiled to the fans at the Nou Camp and then spoke to the press, where the Argentina international could not hide his delight at joining the Pep Guardiola's hugely-successful side.

"The truth is it's a dream, it's a great joy," said the 26-year-old, who has reportedly cost Barca 22million euros (?18million). "It is a great club with great players and I will try to adapt as quickly as I possibly can."

The Argentine captain who made ninety-four appearances for Liverpool during his three years at Anfield continued: "It would be stupid if I thought I was going to play all the time. You need to respect the people here who have been doing so well.

"In my position there are three world champions who have won everything (Xavi, Sergio Busquets and Andres Iniesta). For me it is a dream to grow, learn and enjoy playing next to them." added Mascherano who will take the No14 jersey, which was previously worn by Thierry Henry.

Mascherano is Barca's third signing of the summer following the arrivals of David Villa and Adriano and, according to sporting vice-president Josep Maria Bartomeu, it completes their transfer dealings. "The squad is now complete and we will not sign anyone else. We have reached the decision that there is no need to strengthen the team any further," said Bartomeu.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
de8gu1.jpg

Reds complete double signing
21st July 2010

article13071540af667980.jpg

Raul Meireles unveiled at Anfield

Liverpool has announced the double signing of Fulham left back Paul Konchesky and Portugal international Raul Meireles for a combined sixteen million pounds.

Paul Koncesky arrives from Fulham for a fee believed to be four million pounds with youngsters Lauri Dalla Valle and Alex Kacaniklic moving in the opposite direction as part of the deal. While FC Porto midfielder Raul Meireles' fee is believed to be in the region of twelve million pounds.

A club statement on the official website of the club read “Liverpool are delighted to announce the signings of Paul Konchesky from Fulham and Raul Meiereles from FC Porto. Liverpool Football Club would like to welcome each player to the club and wish them a good time at the club.”

The two-cap England international, who played as a regular at Fulham, will provide much-needed competition for Fabio Aurelio at left-back. The former West Ham and Charlton Athletic player told LFC TV: "I am delighted to have signed for such a big club like Liverpool. This club has many great players and I am very excited to be playing alongside them."

The 27-year-old midfielder, who has won four titles with FC Porto and been capped 38 times by Portugal, including in all four of his country's games in this summer's World Cup spoke to LFC TV: "I am very happy to join Liverpool. They are one of the best clubs in the world and to play for such a big club is a big thing for me. Hopefully the fans will one remember me as one of their star players."

Emiliano Insua the young ARgentine left back has joined Turkish giants Galatasaray on a season long loan with an option of a permanent deal. Other reserves players like Nabil El Zhar and Damien Plessis have also left the Anfield club.

El Zhar joins Greek side PAOK on loan until the end of the season while Frenchman Damien Plessis has completed his transfer to Panathinaikos for an undisclosed fee after failing to break into Shantanu Amberkar's first-team plans

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
What game are you using?

Bevab

Staff Member
Nah! I'm poor in tracking Football games.:doh

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
n2gzgk.png

I'm a massive gamble, says Ambekar

15563814.jpg

By ANTONY KASTRINAKIS
Published: 22nd July, 2010

SHANTNAU AMBEKAR has admitted that Liverpool gambled in appointing him to succeed Rafa Benitez as manager, but insists that he will repay their faith by bringing success back to Anfield.

The Indian has no managerial experience in Europe but has brilliant track record in India. "Liverpool gambled on my ability but I believe in myself," he said. Ambekar says the pressure of winning titles at Anfield does not worry him. "I am not afraid of my job. All over the world coaches need to win competitions, not only in Liverpool."

The 39-year-old denied that the Premier League would be the club's priority. "My pressure is the desire to become world class, not just to win the Premier League," he said. "If I say to my players that the Premier League is more important than another competition, I think the players might only prepare for the Premier League. I don't think that's the correct way to look at it."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
btn-back-to-top.gif
dy4qd5.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
sportheader.png

Page last updated at, Thursday 22 July 2010
email.gif
E-mail this to a friend
print.gif
Printable version

THURSDAY'S GOSSIP COLUMN

gossip_466.gif

Transfer Gossip

Shantanu Ambekar wants a striker before the season begins and he has made West Ham's Carlton Cole as his number one target and may require around ?10m to bring the Englishman to Anfield. (Various)

Emmanuel Adebayor could follow Craig Bellamy out of Manchester City following the arrival of Mario Balotelli from Inter Milan. Juventus looks his favoured destination but Liverpool could make an offer to keep him in the Premier League. (The Sun)

Lucas and Ryan Babel are expected to leave Anfield before the season begins. Birmingham are interested in buying Babel while Santos are keen on bringing Lucas back to Brazil. (Guardian)

Gerard Houllier is the the odds on favourite to succeed Martin O'Neill and Kevin MacDonald at Villa Park, and it's likely that the former Liverpool boss will officially be announced as the new manager in the next 48 hours. (Various)

Real Madrid are ready to offer Wayne Rooney an escape route out of England in deal which could see Manchester United's long term target Karim Benzema moving in the opposite direction. (Daily Mirror)

Greek side PAOK are eager to sign Liverpool's Greek defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos on a season long loan with an option of a permanent deal at the end of the season. (The Sun)

Manchester United have rekindle their interested in Standard Liege skipper Steven Defour but the Red Devils face stiff competition from arch rivals Liverpool, Manchester City and Arsenal.(Guardian)

Birmingham City are hoping to complete the signing of former Arsenal and Stuttgart midfielder Aliaksandr Hleb on a season long loan from Barcelona in the next 48 hours. (Various)

Roy Keane's Ipswich Town want Liverpool's Dani Pacheco and David Amoo on a season long loan and newly promoted West Brom want backup striker David N'Gog on loan for the whole season. (Daily Mirror)

Shantanu Ambekar wants German sensational Toni Kroos on a season long but Bayern Munchen are not willing to discuss any deal as they are not eager to send him on loan yet again. (Bild)

Other Gossip

Liverpool will offer skipper Steven Gerrard, star striker Fernando Torres and Dirk Kuyt new long term lucarative contract to keep them away from speculation. (Guardian)

The FA have made it clear that the next manager to succeed Fabio Capello would be an Englishman. The bookies have already made Roy Hodgson their favourite. (The Sun)

Manchester United owners are thinking of expanding Old Trafford's capacity to around 80,000. (The Sun)

And Finally

Didier Drogba and Salamon Kalou is set to make their film debut in a short writtern by some African writers. The film is written to raise awarness about football in the less developed African countries. (The Independent)

Wayne Rooney is set to have crunch talks about their future with his wife Coleen Rooney today following the sex scandal and will make an attempt to save their marraige for their eight-month son Kai. (Daily Mirror)

Bevab

Staff Member
What about Suarez?

Users who are viewing this thread