Afridi - Brainless Slogger or Marvellous Hitter?

Mindless or Brilliant?

• Mindless

Votes: 42 71.2%
  • Brilliant

Votes: 17 28.8%

• Total voters
I don't think he'd ever want Headingley as a home ground.... :D

Very good on his day but I feel makes more of a contribution of late with the ball (ODIs I'm talking).

I think the Pakistani selectors have finally had enough as of late his place has hardly been a guarantee and iirc has been dropped a few times.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/player/42639.html

His last ODI 50 was 19 months ago, 17 innings ago excluding 3 DNBs, so he's not been a big fixture of the Pakistan side as I'd have thought they'd have played at least 30 ODIs in that time.

A fantastic player on his day but far from a team player and despite his talent would probably not play in our ODI side for how he gets out.

PhilD123 said:
In a test match without any of them injured or suspended?
No test, ODI. That's what I said, he hasn't got enough shots at his spots.
And besides, did you know he is an excellent captain in domestic cricket and was tipped at a young age to skipper Pakistan? Not a mindless idiot to me.
He is a fantastic batsman, just lacks any sort of consistency or support.

Sureshot said:
According to cricinfo he's opened, played at 6,7,8 and 9 in Tests.

As for ODIs.

http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

Make of that what you will.
Odd, I'm going off what I read off an article here, and it said there that he did well at 5.
Stupid local newspapers...
Ah well, the part about him wanting to bat at 5 is true...

People who have read my posts in the past will know that I'm not a big fan of Afridi, in fact, I believe his inclusion in the current squad is a step in the wrong direction. But I won't vote for either on of the options in the poll. He is not exactly the most brilliant batsman out there, but he's not a mindless slogger either as some people might think. I have, in disbelief, seen him play some extremely good knocks. His best knock by a country mile, and Afridi agrees with me, was his inning in Chennai in 1999 which came under severe pressure and was a gem overshadowed only by Sachin's superb knock.

http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...ND/SCORECARDS/PAK_IND_T1_28JAN-01FEB1999.html

I believe his failures have much to do with nobody really trying hard to bring discipline in to his batting. Afridi has a gift, unfortunately for Pakistan, he doesn't know how to harness it. Miandad tried to work with him, with little success, but in the end he ended up putting too much pressure on him which resulted in Afridi totally breaking down.

Sureshot said:
According to cricinfo he's opened, played at 6,7,8 and 9 in Tests.

As for ODIs.

http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

Make of that what you will.
Never knew he played at every position except 11.

11 isn't all that great....

Was 7 years ago. They start 'em young out in the sub continent don't they.

Sureshot said:
They start 'em young out in the sub continent don't they.
Or just lie about their age :D

m_vaughan said:
Mahendra Dhoni of India
Not to take this thread off topic or anything, but Dhoni is not much different than Afridi as a pure batsman. India have played many games in the subcontinent as of late, due to which Dhoni's numbers are so inflated.

I think Dhoni has improved as a batsmen if you see his performances in the Champions trophy and v south africa he has played more restricted innings when his team in in trouble.

Drewska said:
I think Dhoni has improved as a batsmen if you see his performances in the Champions trophy and v south africa he has played more restricted innings when his team in in trouble.
I haven't in fact watched his innings of late, but going by the commentary I read, he pretty much threw his wicket away every time, even at times when he wasn't required to slog.

When I first saw Dhoni he was arguably even more brainless than Afridi, but the difference is that Dhoni has developed a control over his shots. He doesn't just slog all the time anymore; Something which Afridi needs to learn.

In the tour to SA, Dhoni did play a quite restricted role for a while until either his team were out of trouble and he was fully in.

Maybe, just maybe and this is unlikely, after his omission from the side Afridi will put a bigger value on his wicket in these remaining ODI's against the Windies.

Afridi controlled himself as well at one point in his career, or perhaps you missed my post about Chennai.

PhilD123 said:
In the tour to SA, Dhoni did play a quite restricted role for a while until either his team were out of trouble and he was fully in.
I'm sorry, but when were India ever out of trouble in South Africa?

Afridi wants to bat for time, he has the intention. Just needs to avoid temptation. He has done it before as NP said, and has done it in his 20-30s in tests, but has just let pressure get to him. It's not like he is happy about how he got out...

nightprowler10 said:
I'm sorry, but when were India ever out of trouble in South Africa?
Exactly, he tried to wait until they were out of trouble, and it didn't really happen so he didn't go after the ball too much, other than when he went solo in the 3rd odi.

Users who are viewing this thread