yuvraj_singh.jpg

YuvrajSinghKingofT20

.....Just Kidding.

Lmao, that made my day. :rtfl

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Umm, Cricketman, it wasn't your turn. It's round 9. I already went. It's Leggie, then Zorax, then you. You should delete that post.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Sanjay Manjrekar

sanjay-manjrekar.jpg

Sanjay Manjrekar pursued technical perfection like a man obsessed, but for a batsman hailed as the next Sunil Gavaskar, he ended up with a career that was largely unrealised. Though he never saw his father Vijay bat, those who did couldn't help commenting that the technical rectitude was inherited.

Virender Sehwag
Sanjay Manjrekar
???
Mohammed Azharuddin
???
Ravi Shastri
Anil Kumble
Zaheer Khan
Venkatesh Prasad
Subhash Gupte

Sachin Tendulkar (Cricketman)
Rahul Dravid (Shravi)
Sunil Gavaskar (ZD)
Anil Kumble (Leggie)
Kapil Dev (Cricketman)
Mohammed Azharuddin (Leggie)
Vinoo Mankad (ZD)
Vijay Hazare (shravi)
Bedi (ZD)
Virender Sehwag (Leggie)
BS Chandrasekhar (shravi)
GR Viswanath (Cricketman)
Javagal Srinath (shravi)
EAS Prasanna (Cricketman)
Zaheer Khan (Leggie)
Farokh Engineer (ZD)
Amar Singh (ZD)
Roger Binny (shravi)
Syed Kirmani (CM)
Venkatesh Prasad (Leggie)
Md. Nissar (CM)
Polly Umrigar (ZD)
Dilip Vengsarkar (ZD)
Mahendra Singh Dhoni (shravi)
Gautam Gambhir (Cricketman)
Ravi Shastri (Leggie)
VVS Laxman (Cricketman)
Subhash Gupte (Leggie)
Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi (shravi)
Mohinder Amarnath (ZD)
Sourav Ganguly (shravi)
Sanjay Manjrekar (Leggie)

Next up we're doing a an ODI India Draft. Watch me all murk you when I pick UV. :mad

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
finally!! took long enough
Ganguly? I never rated him highly as a Test player. Would probably be one of my first picks in an ODI draft though.

ZoraxDoom added 4 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

Is it my pick now?

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I think it's my pick.

Seeing as someone here stole my pick for captain despite promising he wasn't going to take him, I'm going to pass on the captaincy reins to another true legend

Srinivas Venkataraghavan

1191054131264.jpg

The final member in the great Spin Quartet, Venkat was the antithesis of Prassana as a spinner - 6 feet tall, wiry, who used a flattish trajectory and his immense accuracy and stamina to force batsmen into making a mistake. In fact, he adopted this style because he realised at a young age that in order to get into the Indian side, he would have to compete with Prassana, and thus would have to make himself different.
Not that he would have needed to. Venkat was a useful tail-end batsman, and a fantastic close in fielder, one of the many of that era that gave the Indian spin attack it's edge. He was also an excellent captain, leading India in their first two world cups, and was good enough to keep his spot in the squad once the Quartet broke up in the 70s. He also remained very fit across an 18 year test career, and long, tight spells were his forte. A brilliant player, he adds a lot of value and balance to the side.

Sunil Gavaskar
Vinoo Mankad
Dilip Vengsarkar
Mohinder Amarnath
Polly Umrigar
???
Farokh Engineer (+)
Amar Singh
Srinivas Venkataraghavan (*)
Bishan Singh Bedi
???

Drafted
Rahul Dravid (Shravi)
Sunil Gavaskar (ZD)
Anil Kumble (Leggie)
Kapil Dev (Cricketman)
Vinoo Mankad (ZD)
Vijay Hazare (shravi)
Bedi (ZD)
Virender Sehwag (Leggie)
Javagal Srinath (shravi)
Zaheer Khan (Leggie)
Farokh Engineer (ZD)
Amar Singh (ZD)
Roger Binny (shravi)
Syed Kirmani (CM)
Md. Nissar (CM)
Polly Umrigar (ZD)
Dilip Vengsarkar (ZD)
Ravi Shastri (Leggie)
VVS Laxman (Cricketman)
Subhash Gupte (Leggie)
Mohinder Amarnath (ZD)
Sourav Ganguly (shravi)
Srinivas Venkataraghavan (ZD)

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
yuvraj_singh.jpg

YuvrajSinghKingofT20

.....Just Kidding.

30935.html

Vijay Manjrekar

A fine player of fast bowling, Vijay Merchant was one of the mainstays of the Indian batting order during the 1950s and 60s. His nimble footwork, strong wristwork, and fantastic hand-eye coordination was exhibited against many of the worlds greatest fast bowlers, including the likes of Trueman in swinging conditions. He was known as the original 'Mr. Dependable', averaging close to 40 in an era tough for batsman. Also on occasional offspinner, a wicketkeeper in his early days, and an excellent fielder in the cover and point region, I had no troubles in picking Vijay Manjrekar into my XI.

1. Gautam Gambhir
3. VVS Laxman
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. GR Viswanath
6. Vijay Manjrekar
7. Kapil Dev
8. Syed Kirmani
10. EAS Prasanna
11. Mohommad Nissar
Drafted
Rahul Dravid (Shravi)
Sunil Gavaskar (ZD)
Anil Kumble (Leggie)
Kapil Dev (Cricketman)
Vinoo Mankad (ZD)
Vijay Hazare (shravi)
Bedi (ZD)
Virender Sehwag (Leggie)
Javagal Srinath (shravi)
Zaheer Khan (Leggie)
Farokh Engineer (ZD)
Amar Singh (ZD)
Roger Binny (shravi)
Syed Kirmani (CM)
Md. Nissar (CM)
Polly Umrigar (ZD)
Dilip Vengsarkar (ZD)
Ravi Shastri (Leggie)
VVS Laxman (Cricketman)
Subhash Gupte (Leggie)
Mohinder Amarnath (ZD)
Sourav Ganguly (shravi)
Vijay Manjrekar

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Lala Amarnath

175603.html

1933. India's first test match at home, and the debut of the prodigiously talented Lala Amarnath, who just a few weeks earlier had scored a 109 against MCC - an innings labelled as a 'brilliant display' by Wisden. India were facing an innings defeat against England, 21/2 in the second innings and trailing by about 200 runs. Enter Amarnath at 3. He took apart the English bowling, so he said later, "as if possessed by a mysterious power". He hit 83 in 78 minutes, hooking Nichols and Clark with confidence and going down the pitch to hit Hedley Verity. Slowing just a fraction, he reached his century in 117 minutes. According to Mihir Bose: "Amarnath was engulfed with spectators, garlanded and congratulated while the band played 'God Save the King'... As the day's play ended, women tore off their jewellery to present it to him, Maharajahs made gifts of money, and India hailed a hero." England's eventual easy win was almost forgotten in the hysteria. [courtesy Cricinfo]

Lala Amarnath was India's first hero, but his stats in 24 tests do his talent no justice. Amarnath was one of the first cricketers to kick against the stifling domination of Indian cricket by the local princes and their imperial backers, which lead to constant spats with the selectors and captains and his repeated omissions from the side even when he was their best player. A certain incident saw him sent home from an England tour where he was India's best player, and which led to a free fall in their performances once he was gone. That incident also meant a 12 year gap between his third and fourth tests, between which he remained a giant in domestic cricket (As a batting averaged of 41 and bowling average of 23 over 186 FC games would testify to).

His medium pace bowling was more suited to English conditions - a shuffling 3 pace run followed by bowling accurate inswingers off the wrong foot with more accuracy and swing than any other bowler in England (According to Wisden), with devious leg-breaks for variation. In 1946, aged 35, his bowling was more potent than his batting, as he reduced England to 70/4 at Lords by dismissing Hutton, Washbrook, Compton and Hammond. He captained India in a tour to Australia the next year, and while his performances in the Tests were pretty poor, he was magnificent against the state sides. His 228 against Victoria contained, Neil Harvey said, the best cover driving he ever saw. He remained captain against West Indies in 1948-49 and in Bombay narrowly failed to lead India to their first Test victory. Then cricket politics again turned against him once more, and he only returned in 1951 when India finally beat England at Madras. He was given back the captaincy in 1952 when Pakistan toured India, aged 41, with decent returns (105 runs at 26.25 with 1 fifty and 9 wickets at 22.44 and an economy of 1.58 over 5 Tests), leading India to a 2-1 series victory. However, that was to be his final tour, as the politics involved caused him to leave the job in anger. However, his reputation grew over the years, as he became a successful head selector, popular commentator, and was also the father of 2 test cricketers himself. A true icon of Indian cricket.

Sunil Gavaskar
Vinoo Mankad
Dilip Vengsarkar
Mohinder Amarnath
Polly Umrigar
Lala Amarnath
Farokh Engineer (+)
Amar Singh
Srinivas Venkataraghavan (*)
Bishan Singh Bedi
???

Drafted
Rahul Dravid (Shravi)
Sunil Gavaskar (ZD)
Anil Kumble (Leggie)
Kapil Dev (Cricketman)
Vinoo Mankad (ZD)
Vijay Hazare (shravi)
Bedi (ZD)
Virender Sehwag (Leggie)
Javagal Srinath (shravi)
Zaheer Khan (Leggie)
Farokh Engineer (ZD)
Amar Singh (ZD)
Roger Binny (shravi)
Syed Kirmani (CM)
Md. Nissar (CM)
Polly Umrigar (ZD)
Dilip Vengsarkar (ZD)
Ravi Shastri (Leggie)
VVS Laxman (Cricketman)
Subhash Gupte (Leggie)
Mohinder Amarnath (ZD)
Sourav Ganguly (shravi)
Vijay Manjrekar (Cricketman)
Lala Amarnath (ZD)

Last edited:

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Leggie, it wasn't your turn. You chose Sidhu and I was going to choose Sidhu. Now it would just be cheap for me to choose him since you chose him when it wasn't even your turn. You have 9 players when you're meant to have 10 by now. Ugh...

Last edited:

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
But I wanted Sidhu... and would have no problem if he stole him when it was his turn.

Users who are viewing this thread