Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
liveinasociety's XI:

01. :pak: :bat: Mohammad Rizwan
02. :eng: :wk: Jos Buttler
05. :aus: :ar: Glenn Maxwell
09. :sri: :bwl: Ajantha Mendis
10. :pak: :bwl: Umar Gul
11. :aus:/:ned: :bwl: Dirk Nannes (:os:)

@Aravind.

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
My associate pick Ryan ten Doeschate

With Bat -

T20382339807597121*29.33

With Ball -

T20382139214729221144/244/2425.63
Post automatically merged:

@Bevab to pick next

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Apologies for missing out - I'll pick Roelof Van Der Merwe (the reason Pakistan made it to the semi's and beyond this year)

Looks like I need to find some genuine batter now - getting a little too allrounder heavy

1. :aus: :bat: Matthew Hayden
  2. :nz: :wk: Brendon McCullum
  3. ?
  4. ?
  5. :ned: :ar: Roelof Van Der Merwe
  6. :wi: :ar: Andre Russell
  7. :wi: :ar: DJ Bravo
  8. :afg: :bwl: Rashid Khan
  9. ?
  10. ?
  11. ?

Bevab

Staff Member
I’ve genuinely forgotten now. Will make my pick in an hour.

Bevab

Staff Member
I’m going for a wild pick here to disrupt both the streak of associate picks and make everyone stare in bewilderment.

His batting record is flattered by not outs, his bowling record is notable for a paucity of wickets and even more importantly his T20 record outside of WCs is... mediocre to be kind to him. And yet, :sri::ar:Angelo Mathews offers a very rare balance to sides that is seldom available. Most of Mathews' WC games came when he was at the peak of his powers relative to his own body failing him and boy did he deliver. A strike-rate of nearly 130 with an average of 38 is respectable for the role he played in the SL lineup as the firefighter of sorts who would either be forced to stabilise an innings and give time for hitters like Thisara to come in or go hard from the start if their impressive top four did it's job. With the ball Mathews was a pacer's version of the economical finger spinner whose role was to restrict runs rather than take wickets and he did this job superbly as shown by an economy of just 6.47 across all WCs. In a SL side who wanted to save Kulasekara and Malinga's overs for the death phase he provided a vital balance as the opening pacer even if that wasn't perhaps the best way to make use of his skill, demonstrating his utility as a team player. And unlike now after multiple injuries and failed fitness tests, Mathews was an athletic fielder in his prime when he played in these WCs and could bowl well in the mid 130s should the need arise so.

He was a man for the big occasion too as shown by two strong late game finishes in the knockouts of the 2009 WC alongside a three wicket haul in the semis, a fighting 58 when none of the others could even cross 20 in the 2010 semis, a double wicket over in the semis and an extremely frugal spell of just 11 runs from 4 overs in the finals of the 2012 edition. He saved his best for the triumph in 2014, winning the MoTM award for a crucial late game destruction in the semis and a routine spell in the final as SL wrapped up the win without requiring his late game hitting. An impact with either bat or ball in nearly every knockout game that one played is almost unheard of and Mathews made his mark indeed. And if you thought it was just limited to knockout games... his highest score came in his last game against England as he almost single-handedly tried his best after being injured to get SL a win over England when the next best batter in the side couldn't even score half of what he did. If that doesn't demonstrate the clutch factor of Mathews.. nothing will. His overall record outside of the WCs might be poor for a man of his class and talent but this bloke stepped up and delivered when it was time to perform on the biggest stage.

In my side he'll act as the fulcrum in the middle order, serving a dual role of a Dhoni like figure who comes in whenever needed to stabilise the innings or else to guide a finish home by settling in and taking it deep before unleashing his power. With the ball Mathews will be the economical enforcer who'll force misery at one end and allow Boult to hunt for wickets at the other. I doubt there is another player who offers so much balance to the side available in the selection pool.. his utility is best demonstrated by the fact that SL were forced to make three changes for the 2011 ODI WC final because he was injured for it. I suppose the biggest task with regards to him will be managing his fitness and keeping him injury free. :D

@mohsin7827 to continue.

Users who are viewing this thread