All-Time Test XIs

Seeing as Im 14 I prefer people from my generation but still my favourite team were

Matthew Hayden
Marcus Trescothick
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulker
Adam Gilchrist
Kumar Sangakarra
Freddie Flintoff
Shane Warne
Murali
Glenn McGrath
Shaoib Akthar

But based on current form and upcoming talent which is more me my team would be something along these lines :

Jimmy Adams - I belive hes one of the best T20 players in the world atm
Craig Kieswetter - Will find he form!
Ian Bell - Mr.Ole' Realiable.
Mike Hussey - The Hussey Brothers are brilliant and never look to lose their wicket very dedicated players.
Eoin Morgan - Without a doubt a fantastic batter. outstanding, hot form.
Tom Maynard - Son of Matty also a local lad to me and went to the same club as me/ still does infact! I belive he'll improve more.
Luke Wright - very good talent has more in him!
Gramae Swann - Best Spinner in the world.
Mohammad Amir - Very young, fresh talent.
Jimmy Anderson - swinging the ball a mile and is the form of his life!
Stephen Finn - Very hot prospect IF England dont over do him

Checking averages at different positions and different years etc isn't that hard. Just go on the players profile on cricinfo. Then go down underneath the averages box. Under the "career statistics" header go on the drop down menu and click, for example, batting career summary. Then it has the main stats.

How do I check the stats for say the highest averaging left handers in 2004

You have to go to the main statguru page and then go to the advanced filter. It has a THOUSAND options there. You type in the date range you want, then tick the left handed batsman box and off it goes, spitting out something like this:
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

That's how the advanced filter page looks just before you submit the query:
Cricinfo Statsguru | Searchable cricket statistics database | Cricinfo.com

And while I'm here, here's my latest All-time XI:
1 Jack Hobbs
2 Len Hutton
3 Don Bradman
4 Brian Lara
5 Ricky Ponting/Tendulkar/Barrington/Viv Richards (I can't decide :D for now I'll take Ponting cause he's the best fielder)
6 Garfield Sobers
7 Imran Khan
8 Richard Hadlee
9 Godfrey Evans/Don Tallon/Bert Oldfield/Healy/Knott/Taylor/Blackham - whoever the best pure keeper ever was...I like Godfrey at the moment though.
10 Muttiah Muralitharan
11 Glenn McGrath

Last edited:
Sifter is the man to ask. He knows statsguru well. If you take your time and just look at the options because it can get confusing.

^Hah - yeah I use it a bit, but I'd still consider myself only moderately familiar with it. You can do all sorts of combinations with it that I haven't tried yet.

I'm ok with the batting and bowling options, but then you get all the stuff like partnerships, and the team stats. Those are completely incomprehensible to me.

the one thing I can't work out how to do with stats guru is work out how you would find the averages for certain players who were under (or over a certain age) in a time frame. You can search the stats of all 23-26 year olds but if you want to find the averages for all batsmen born after 1983 in 2005-2009 I dunn how you'd do that.

Seeing as Cricinfo is doing an all time Indian XI, I might as well chip in with my own -

Virender Sehwag
Sunil Gavaskar
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
VVS Laxman/Sourav Ganguly/Gundappa Vishwanath
Kapil Dev
MS Dhoni (wk)
Anil Kumble
Zaheer Khan
EAS Prasanna/Harbhajan Singh
Javagal Srinath

12th: One of the number 5 batsman

I chose people with less than 15 tests (like Amar Singh, M Nissar) to be ignored. I am hugely confused by the number 5 spot: Ganguly would be the only left handed batsman and would be an automatic choice for captaincy. Laxman is pure class, a matchwinner, and rises to his best against the toughest opposition and when the cards are down. I've heard that Vishwanath is in the exact same mold.

Confusion over the offies role as well. Harbhajan is crap but he is the 3rd highest Indian wicket taker. Prasanna from what I've heard is extremely good. Another choice would be Baghwath Chandrasekhar.

As Cricinfo is selecting the India Xi, I've voted for Sehwag, Gavaskar, Dravid, tendulkar, Laxman and would keep them all in my XI for India.

So

1.Virender Sehwag
2.Sunil Gavaskar
3.Rahul Dravid
4.Sachin Tendulkar
5.VVS Laxman/Saurav Ganguly
6.MS Dhoni(probably just because he is the best keeper we have till now)
7.Kapil Dev
8.Anil Kumble
9.Harbhajan Singh(:( probably he makes in it because his stats tells that)
10.Zaheer Khan
11.Javagal Srinath

I was extremely confused at no.5 spot so left it for Laxxy and Ganguly.
India never seems to have the guts in bowling attack but inclusion of Kapil Dev surely makes it better. Zaheer reamins the finest pacer of India while Srinath also standing in the same league. Wanted to include Venky but spinner took his place.

I am pretty sure that the Indian XI must have Prasad and Amarnath.

I'd pick

Viru
Gavaskar
Dravid
Sachin
MAK Pataudi (*)
Vinoo Mankand
Kapil Dev
Farrukh Engineer (+)
Anil Kumble
Javagal Srinath
Bishan Singh Bedi/Erappali Prasanna

The West Indies XI that cricinfo chose was good except for the selection of Jackie Hendriks ahead of Jeff Dujon.

Cricinfo WI XI

Gordon Greenidge
Conrad Hunte
George Headley
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Garry Sobers
Malcolm Marshall
Jackie Hendriks +
Michael Holding
Curtly Ambrose
Lance Gibbs

I would have gone with Dujon over Hendriks because Dujon was a really good keeper and he was a much better batsman. What makes this team special is the players that got left out. Haynes, Roy Fredericks, Walcott, Worrell, Weekes, Kalicharan, Kanhai, Lloyd, Chanderpaul, Richardson, Constantine, Hall, Roberts, Garner, Walsh, Bishop and many more.

WI 2nd XI

Roy Fredericks
Desmond Haynes
Frank Worrell
Everton Weekes
Clyde Wallcott
Clive Lloyd
Jeff Dujon +
Andy Roberts
Wes Hall
Joel Garner
Courtney Walsh

This team would be good enough to compete with any other XI and still so many greats left out. It would be tough to decide the captaincy between Worrell and Lloyd.

England's all time XI on cricinfo would get absolutely thrashed by some of the others.

KP in the team probably isn't such a great decision now..:doh

Users who are viewing this thread