All-Time Test XIs

Alright here we go.

Openers
Opening batsman #1 will be Jack Hobs. He has one of the highest averages of all time and as far as I can see the highest among openers (might be wrong so correct me). 60 000+ runs in 1st class and still managed to keep his average over 50. He opened for so many test and only had 4 ducks and to me that is impressive.
Opening batsman #2 Matthew Hayden. A powerful batsman but not a sloger, plays excellent aggressive cricket but still manged to get 30 centuries. In my opinion he is a excellent companion to Hobs, he can score the runs quickly but if need be slow it down and play according to the teams needs.

Middle Order
Is there even a question as to who the #3 is. Don Bradman the best to ever play the game and is surely going to stay there for a long time.

#4. Well now its not so easy to pick the rest of the middle order because only one guys was a sure thing. #4 was between Wally Hammond and Ken Barrington and I decided to go with Hammond only because of his better First Class average and his better conversion rate. He was a little more consistent as I can tell from his First Class average but having Barrington wouldn't have been a bad thing.

#5. This one might be a bit controversial and not because of the batsman I chose but because I chose him to be my wicket keeper. I know that there are better WK out there but I chose to play him because I wanted to make room for another all-rounder. The decision was between Everton Weekes and Clyde Walcott and it ended up being Walcott. He was a great attacking batsman and a stroke maker and one of the best batsman to come out of the West Indies.

#6. Well there is no doubt that Garfield Sobers deserves to be in every world eleven. The greatest all-rounder to play the game and one of the best batsman ever. One of the best attacking batsman of his time and the 1st man to hit 6x6. He could bowl 3 different styles and his pace bowling didn't lack speed as I saw in a clip where he was bowling bouncers at a batsman.

#7. This one is related to my choice and number 5. I decided to pick Imran Khan. The greatest leader to ever lead a team and his captaincy was brilliant too. He is the man who took Wasim and Waqar under his wing and turned them into the players that they became. His bowling was brilliant, one of the fastest men of his time and a great swing bowlers. He finished his career with 362 wickets and averaged 22.8. And his batting wasn't anything to be ignored he is more than capable of batting in the middle order and that's what he did for Pakistan in his playing days. He is also the captain of the squad.

#8. And its Wasim Akram. The greatest swing bowler ever and one of the most accurate. He could bowl many different deliveries but it was his swing that was his greatest asset. 414 wickets at 22.6 with most of his matches played in the sub continent is absolutely amazing. The most amazing this about Wasim to me is the pace that he got from such a short run up, it looked as short as a spin bowlers run up. Hes reverse swing was only matched by his playing partner Waqar Younis and their yorkers were deadly. He is also a handy batsman with a double century to his name.

#9. This one was probably the toughest one to decide. Muralitharan or Warne, not an easy decision. Me being a Murli fan I was leaning towards him but I had to go with Warne because of the pitches he had to ply on in his home country. Muralis stats are absolutely incredible and if its not Warne than its definitely him but Warne was a master of the leg break. He could turn the ball a long way and he had plenty of deliveries to leave batsman looking foolish.

#10. This man in my mind is the greatest pace bowler of all time. And his name is Malcolm Marshall, the man with one of the most beautiful bowling styles to ever play the game. His accuracy was amazing his pace wasn't express but he had enough of it to give the English batsman nightmares. He could seam the ball just as well as he could swing it and he had a good bouncer which surprised batsman because Marshall wasn't really a tall bowler. Marshall's stats speak for them self, 1651 first Class wickets at a average of 19 is mind boggling to me. Only man I would consider placing into his spot is Curtly Ambrose.

#11. This one is another no brainier for me. Glen McGrath arguably the greatest modern era bowler and one of the best of all time. His accuracy was as good as anyone's and he had incredible control when he was bowling. He didn't generate allot of pace but his bowling action was just beautiful to watch. Everything seemed easy when he was bowling.

There are 2 men that I feel really bad about leaving out and those are George Headley (black Bradman) and Sir Viv one of my favorite players of all time. Headley was one of the best batsman of his time its just too bad that he couldn't play more matches because that's the only reason I didn't include him. And Sir Viv well that's just self explanatory.

So to sum it up.

Jack Hobbs
Matthew Hayden
Don Bradman
Wally Hammond
Clyde Walcott +
Garfield Sobers
Imran Khan *
Wasim Akram 1
Shane Warne
Malcolm Marshall
Glen McGrath 2

Please comment and leave opinions.

Nice looking side but that's an interesting selection with Walcott!:eek::D Plenty of depth in the bowling stocks with 6 frontline bowlers (7 if you include Hammond). Very similar looking side to mine (6 frontline bowlers, recognised batsman down to number 6 with handy (and some very handy) players to follow) but I just have to say mine is better:D;):p

Weird structure you set out there. Sobers and Khan? A bit of a different selection in Walcott.

I was planning on making an Australian all time XI but because of these being so popular I might try my hand at one of these. I'll probably set mine out in the same structure as Dans.

Team composition has been of much importance. E.g. Mcgrath been placed with Ambrose as both would compliment each other in strangling the opposition for any runs whilst taking wickets. However, the XIs are based on ability. Ie. I would expect the first XI to beat the second XI who'd beat the third XI, more often than not.

Try not to pay attention to the batting ability of 8-11 as I just put the bowlers there rather than order them particularly carefully.

First XI

1. Sir Jack Hobbs
2. Sunil Gavaskar
3. Sir Donald Bradman
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Sir Vivian Richards
6. Sir Garfield Sobers
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Wasim Akram
9. Dennis Lillee
10. Malcolm Marshall
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

Second XI

1. Matthew Hayden
2. Barry Richards
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Brian Lara
5. Graeme Pollock
6. Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
7. Imran Khan
8. Sir Richard Hadlee
9. Shane Warne
10. Curtly Ambrose
11. Glenn Mcgrath

Third XI

1. Len Hutton
2. Victor Trumper
3. Rahul Dravid
4. Mohammad Yousuf
5. Jacques Kallis
6. Sir Ian Botham
7. Alan Knott
8. Bill O'Reilly
9. Waqar Younis
10. Michael Holding
11. Allan Donald

Bolded are positions which are contentious in my opinion.

Last edited:
Napoleon Einstein
Napoleon Einstein
Napoleon Einstein
Napoleon Einstein*
Napoleon Einstein
Napoleon Einstein
Napoleon Einstein (WK)
Napoleon Einstein
Napoleon Einstein
Napoleon Einstein
Napoleon Einstein

Can't beat that.

I think you'll find I thought up of it initially. :siren

Weird structure you set out there. Sobers and Khan? A bit of a different selection in Walcott.

Yea it is a bit of but I was always a fan of a all-rounder at 7. I didn't include Walcott because of his WK but because I felt that he or Weekes deserved to be in the XI but because I was including Imran I didn't have a spot for a WK so it ended up being Walcott.

even tho Pollock is a great fast bowler comparing him and Marshall is in my opinion belittling Marshall accomplishments. Marshall was head and shoulders above Pollock in all aspects of the game.
You're lucky that their aren't many Protea fans on this forum.

Interesting XI. You rate Walcott higher then Lara?!

Interesting XI. You rate Walcott higher then Lara?!

Nop I don't but I felt that either Walcott or Weekes deserved a spot and since the only way for them to make it was for them to play WK and Walcott was actually a WK he got in.
I felt that Walcott and Weekes get omitted allot of times even tho they were some of the best batsman in the world.

Why's that? I'm almost certain that the large majority of people, be them South African or not, would rate Malcolm Marshall as a far better bowler than Shaun Pollock ever was. I'm sure Pollock himself would happily admit it.

I'm sure Protea would defend Pollock with pride. Sort've the same way the English supporters defend Stuart Broad even though his a very mediocre bowler.

I really don't think they would, not in a comparison with Malcolm Marshall anyway. Yes I may defend Stuart Broad, but not if he was compared with a true great of the game. We were comparing Broad with Johnson, neither are going to go down as greats of the game. Pollock may have had a good record, but ask any batsman around the world from any era who they'd rather face, and I'm certain that almost all of them would rather face Pollock. Marshall will go down as one of the great bowlers of all-time, Pollock will just go down as one of the greatest South African bowlers of all-time. You really don't rate Malcolm Marshall very highly do you.......

Nah I think his overrated. Considering the fact that people think that conditions back in Marshall's era were more-then-less bowler friendly and think that batsman back then are better then the batsman of the modern era because of it. And then they come along and say that Marshall is better then McGrath inspite of their initial arguement.

Pollock was pretty sharp back in his hayday; almost matching Allan Donald for pace. His deteriation during the latter half of his career probably cost him in comparison with the all-time greats and was exposed against clinical batsman such as the Greatest Opening Batsman of alltime, Matthew Hayden.

First XI

Jack Hobbs
Barry Richards
Don Bradman (c)
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Gary Sobers
Keith Miller (vc)
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Sydney Barnes

Second XI

Len Hutton (c)
Gordon Greenidge
Wally Hammond
George Headley
Sachin Tendulkar
Imran Khan (vc)
Aubery Faulkner
Alan Knott (wk)
Richard Hadlee
Dennis Lillee
Bill O'Reilly

Third XI

Herbert Sutcliffe
Victor Trumper
Ricky Ponting (vc)
Graeme Pollock
Ken Barrington (c)
Jacques Kallis
Ian Botham
Les Ames (wk)
Jim Laker
Fred Trueman
Glenn McGrath

Last edited:
Nah I think his overrated. Considering the fact that people think that conditions back in Marshall's era were more-then-less bowler friendly and think that batsman back then are better then the batsman of the modern era because of it. And then they come along and say that Marshall is better then McGrath inspite of their initial arguement.

Pitch conditions have only really started to change in the past 5 years, coincidentally the same time period that Pollock started to struggle more and more. Look at Lords for example, in the 1990's there was only 1 Test match that failed to produce a result, and that was heavily rain effected. Yet, in the last 3 years there's been 1 Test match that ended in a result, and that was in 2005, every other Lords Test match since then has been a draw.

How you can claim a bowler to took 374 Test wickets at 20, 1651 FC wickets at 19 and 521 List A Wickets at 23 to be over-rated is beyond me. It's yet again another example of Aussie_Ben tunnel vision. As soon as you get an opinion into your head it stays there, no matter what anyone says. I could chuck statistics and quotes from players at you for years and you'd not even remotely change your tune.

Pollock was pretty sharp back in his hayday; almost matching Allan Donald for pace. His deteriation during the latter half of his career probably cost him in comparison with the all-time greats and was exposed against clinical batsman such as the Greatest Opening Batsman of alltime, Matthew Hayden.

I never denied that Pollock was class, just that he was never as good as Marshall. Pollock had a great career, but he's got nothing on Marshall. Marshall had an 18 year career, and still maintained his average for the entirity. Also, I'm not going to even contemplate replying to the Hayden quote, I'll just say it's another clear example of your clear Tunnel Vision.

Users who are viewing this thread