All-Time Test XIs

Oh I love making these teams...I remember whenever I get together with my friends, we write up our all time XI teams and then argue about whose team would win in a match :P

Ok so here we go

Len Hutton
Sunil Gavaskar
Viv Richards
Donald Bradman
Garfield Sobers
Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist
Imran Khan
Muttiah Muralitharan
Malcom Marshall
Denis Lillee

If I have to pick a team from the players that I have actually seen play...

Mathew Hayden
Graeme Smith
Ricky Ponting
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Inzamam ul Haq
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Allan Donald
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

My AT Test XI

1. J.Hobbs
2. A.Morris
3. D.Bradman (*)
4. A.Border
5. G.Sobers
6. K.Miller
7. A.Gilchrist (+)
8. R.Lindwall
9. R.Hadlee
10. C.Grimmett
11. B.O'Reilly

All time XI with the players I've seen.......

1. Adam Gilchrist
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Brian Lara
4. Michael Hussey
5. Inzamam-ul-Haq
6. Jonty Rhodes
7. Wasim Akram
8. Shane Warne
9. Allan Donald
10. Glenn McGrath
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

1. Matthew Hayden
2. Ricky Ponting
3. Sir Donald Bradman
4. Greg Chappell
5. Steve Waugh
6. Allan Border
7. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
8. Shane Warne (c)
9. Dennis Lillee
10. Jeff Thomson
11. Glenn McGrath

Well here's my All-time Australian XI. Kinda weird but yes, I did put Ricky Ponting as opener. Why? Because there have been many other Australian openers who would deserve to be named along side Hayden but none of them were as credible as Hayden, IMO. I believed that Greg Chappell or Allan Border deserved more of a go in the side then an opener that wasn't as good as them - One of them was going to miss out if I had've decided to use an opener.

I know I might cop allot of slack because I didn't put Ponsford and Trumper in but I honestly don't think they're half as good as what Hayden is. I would rate Taylor, Slater and Langer higher then them. I wasn't too far off putting Langer in the side anyway, solely based on the Hayden-Langer partnership.

I decided to throw Ponting into the opening position because it looks better with Chappell at 4 and Border at 6, as these were their traditional spots in the batting order.

The 4 most farmilar Australian bowlers from my experiences in cricket have been chosen. I wasn't too far off picking Gillespie (he was as good as McGrath in his prime) but I decided to go on reputation with Jeff Thomson. McGrath, Lillee and Warne are obviously 3 best bowlers that Australia have ever produced and picking the 4th best bowler was very difficult. The team also has some handy part-timers in Chappell, Steve Waugh and Allan Border with a combination of spin & medium pace.

Captaincy wise, it goes to Shane Warne. He never captained Australia and I know they're previous captains such as Border, Chappell and Waugh in the side but for me Warne does the trick. He is a true cricketing genius.

I know I might cop allot of slack because I didn't put Ponsford and Trumper in but I honestly don't think they're half as good as what Hayden is. I would rate Taylor, Slater and Langer higher then them.
That statement is enough to not take the side seriously.

Hey, your opinion, fine, but don't bother trying to argue you are right.

Psssh, whatever. I don't really rate your opinion on cricket anyway, Zorax. But I'll justify myself anyway.

Say what you want about him playing on uncovered pitches but I don't buy into it. They used to bowl 8 over spells and used to take days off during Tests matches. They used to play timeless matches aswell so you'd imagine that batsmen would just merely worry about making sure that they aren't dismissed, without worrying about scoring runs. Footwear would've been quite poor in the 1920's aswell so you wouldn't imagine that the batsmen would be facing the quickest bowlers of all time either. The likes of Hayden, Langer, Slater and Taylor have spent days in the field over their careers before they've gone out to bat. They've never had the luxery of having a day off to recuperate and prepare for their 2nd innings in a Test Match.

Ponsford only played against 3 different countries and in 1 other country barring home. Better yet, he only played 29 Tests! Almost half of his innings in Test cricket weren't even opening the batting!

Victor Trumper is more then less a pioneer for Australian cricket. I hold him in the same regard as I hold Sanath Jayasuriya in ODI cricket and how he revolutionized hitting over the top and taking advantage of the fielding restrictions. However, I wouldn't say Jayasuriya is one of the best ODI openers ever (Funnily enough, Hayden's a better ODI opener. Tendulkar's the best ODI opener ever, closely followed by Gilchrist and both played in the same era as Jayasuriya). Like Jayasuriya, Trumper doesn't have a brilliant Test record but a fairly respectable one. I wouldn't consider Trumper to be one of the best batsman to ever play for Australia.

Last edited:
Ben, I had vowed to ignore your ridiculous posts and comments from now on, as trying to discuss something with you is pointless, but this post just oversteps the line. I didn't have a huge problem with you disregarding the talents of the England Cricket Team, that's fair enough, you're an arrogant Aussie after all, it's expected, but this last comment is just beyond ridiculous.

Before you wrote that post did you actually read anything about Victor Trumper? Or did you, as always just look at his stats, realise he averages under 40 and instantly dismiss him? I would love one of the great Aussie commentators or sports writers to read some of the crap you come out with, especially this last post. Victor Trumper is one of the legends of the game. I only read a few articles about him but could instantly tell he was pure class. He was held in the highest regard by his peers, he's well renowned as one of Australia's greatest ever cricketers, and to claim that Justin Langer and Michael Slater are better players is purely laughable.

I'll dig out one quote that should somewhat help to justify my point, not that it's really needed, as I'm sure 99.99% of people on this forum will be on my side. But have a read of this and tell me what you think:

His most remarkable test season was played in England in 1902. It was one of the wettest summers on record, yet Trumper in 53 innings scored 2,570 runs, and without a single not out had an average of 48.49. Harry Altham wrote: "From start to finish of the season, on every sort of wicket, against every sort of bowling, Trumper entranced the eye, inspired his side, demoralized his enemies, and made run-getting appear the easiest thing in the world."

England is a tough enough place to bat for overseas players nowadays, with the swinging conditions and general rubbish weather, imagine how badly some of the modern players would have done on uncovered, wet English pitches. Hayden for example has a pretty average record in England, and that's on covered, looked after pitches, he'd have been destroyed on the 1902 Uncovered England pitches, as would the large majority of current Test players.

Trumper is a FAR more accomplished cricketer than Michael Slater or Justin Langer could ever hope to be. I'm 100% sure that they'd be the first to admit that as well, this is just another example of your pure bias towards the modern era of Australian players. If they don't average close to 50 with the bat they're not good enough, it's a ridiculous method for selecting a team and Trumper should have walked into your team alongside Hayden at the top of the order. Some of your beliefs are purely laughable mate.

To be honest, I don't ever get involved in Cricket arguements because generally, unless statistics prove of a player, generally its personal opinion.

But, from the looks of it Ben, mate, you're just going off the most modern cricketers (IE - those from your time period) and discounting how much past players did for Australia. Get a grip mate, modern cricketers probably wouldn't average 20 with the bat in the early 1900's.

1. Matthew Hayden
2. Ricky Ponting
3. Sir Donald Bradman
4. Greg Chappell
5. Steve Waugh
6. Allan Border
7. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
8. Shane Warne (c)
9. Dennis Lillee
10. Jeff Thomson
11. Glenn McGrath

Top middle order and fine set of bowlers. For the opening spot you forgot to think about Arthur Morris. He had a fine record (46) and played in one of most difficult times for Australian cricket. Another player you missed was the great Neil Harvey. Fantastic player. Averaged 48.76 (and vice-captain) in 79 tests. I've seen some videos and he's the best fielder i've ever seen from that era (although i didn't see the south africans to be honest). Bill Lawry deserves a mention (47 average and captain to boot). Sid Barnes to me is the player who should be openning (63 average but unfortunately didn't get the opportunity to play many matches due to World War 2 and last played in the Invincible tour where he was the best batsman i believe)

As for the bowlers i'd drop Thomson. He was fast but he didn't have the Lilee class (or so i've been told to be honest). Other good pace bowlers include Ray Lindwall (average 23 in 60 matches) and Keith Miller (a very good all-rounder who averaged 23 with the ball and 36 with the bat in 55 tests and he usually batted at 3-5). Can't complain about the others except maybe Lillee.

Personally:
1) Sid Barnes
2) Ricky Ponting
3) Sir Don Bradman (c)
4) Neil Harvey
5) Allan Border
6) Steve Waugh
7) Adam Gilchrist (Wk)
8) Shane Warne
9) Dennis Lillee
10) Ray Lindwall
11) Glenn Mcgrath
12)Richie Benaud (swap with Lilee when going to the sub-continent)

I found it very difficult to include Hayden and i'd hate to not have Keith Miller in this side. Miller could've come in for Lillee but its a wast to keep him in that position. He should be at 4-6 and to me Harvey was needed to bring a Pietersen like brilliance to the middle order. Hayden missed out because i'd rather have Ponting in the team than Hayden. Barnes couldn't be discluded like Border, Waugh and the great don couldn't be.

Ben, I had vowed to ignore your ridiculous posts and comments from now on, as trying to discuss something with you is pointless, but this post just oversteps the line. I didn't have a huge problem with you disregarding the talents of the England Cricket Team, that's fair enough, you're an arrogant Aussie after all, it's expected, but this last comment is just beyond ridiculous.

Before you wrote that post did you actually read anything about Victor Trumper? Or did you, as always just look at his stats, realise he averages under 40 and instantly dismiss him? I would love one of the great Aussie commentators or sports writers to read some of the crap you come out with, especially this last post. Victor Trumper is one of the legends of the game. I only read a few articles about him but could instantly tell he was pure class. He was held in the highest regard by his peers, he's well renowned as one of Australia's greatest ever cricketers, and to claim that Justin Langer and Michael Slater are better players is purely laughable.

I'll dig out one quote that should somewhat help to justify my point, not that it's really needed, as I'm sure 99.99% of people on this forum will be on my side. But have a read of this and tell me what you think:

England is a tough enough place to bat for overseas players nowadays, with the swinging conditions and general rubbish weather, imagine how badly some of the modern players would have done on uncovered, wet English pitches. Hayden for example has a pretty average record in England, and that's on covered, looked after pitches, he'd have been destroyed on the 1902 Uncovered England pitches, as would the large majority of current Test players.

Trumper is a FAR more accomplished cricketer than Michael Slater or Justin Langer could ever hope to be. I'm 100% sure that they'd be the first to admit that as well, this is just another example of your pure bias towards the modern era of Australian players. If they don't average close to 50 with the bat they're not good enough, it's a ridiculous method for selecting a team and Trumper should have walked into your team alongside Hayden at the top of the order. Some of your beliefs are purely laughable mate.
LOL, journalists. Journalist's and people from the same era as Victor Trumper believe an Englishmen called Albert Trott hit a six over the pavillion at Lords in 1899. The strongest man to ever live wouldn't be able to hit a 6 over the Lord's pavillion, even with the bats of the modern age.

I'm sure Trumper did acchieve everything you say his acchieved but I wouldn't be overally surprised if the majority of it is overeggerated. You read too much into things and the majority of the things you believe aren't realistic - You've been brainwashed.

What you fail to realise is that half of the cricket techniques that are used today weren't used in the 1890's and 1900's. Bowlers wouldn't of bowled anywhere near as fast as what you think they would've due to bad footwear, illness and injury. He wouldn't of ever faced reserve swing either. The standards of fielding would've been pretty poor aswell. Spinners wouldn't have 2 or 3 fielders standing round the bat and you wouldn't see fielders like AB de Villiers, Jonty Rhodes, etc diving around the field and stopping runs on a consistant basis. If pitches were as bad as you make out then slip catches off pace bowlers would've almost been impossible.

Cricketers would've been brought up, being taught defence or they would've self-taught themselves to be patient and basically defend 80% of delieveries. The last 30 years have changed immensely. Batsman now have evolved with everything that has been passed down from generations and they are now able to attack the bowling. As time has gone on, batsmen have evolved as the game of cricket has evolved - You don't seem to understand this concept.

I'm sure if batsman of the modern age had've been brought up being told to defend the majority of delieveries and had've had the practice on the sort've wickets which Trumper claims to have played on then the likes of Ponting and Tendulkar would've matched Trumper, if not bettered him. Whether Trumper could've acchieved what any batsman of the modern age has acchieved is another question.

Many things that are said in the modern day are overeggerated. Such as people saying that Dale Steyn always bowls 150kph outswingers or that batsman can hit bowlers bowling over 150kph over their heads for six. Neither are of these are true. The fastest ball that Brett Lee's ever bowled that's been hit over his head for 6 was 146kph by Shahid Afridi in 2004. Matthew Hayden has walked down the wicket and smashed Shoaib Akhtar out of a Sri Lankan ground in 2002 but obviously Akhtar wasn't bowling 150kph+ there, was he? Dale Steyn rarely ever bowls 150kph, let alone swings the ball at 150kph. There are many myths within' the game of cricket.

I maintain that I think Sir Donald Bradman, Ponting, Border, Waugh, Chappell and Hayden are all better then Trumper. You want to go criticise selections like Matthew Hayden in my side? Go ask Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne, Ricky Ponting and Steve Waugh how good Matthew Hayden they think Matthew Hayden is. 4 of the finest Australia have ever produced. It's funny because McGrath even said yesterday on FoxSports News that Hayden would be in any team he had the choice of selecting.

I have a realistic view on cricket. You just read over a bunch farsical myths from people that lived in the same era that completely overeggerate things to the point where it seems unrealistic.

Top middle order and fine set of bowlers. For the opening spot you forgot to think about Arthur Morris. He had a fine record (46) and played in one of most difficult times for Australian cricket. Another player you missed was the great Neil Harvey. Fantastic player. Averaged 48.76 (and vice-captain) in 79 tests. I've seen some videos and he's the best fielder i've ever seen from that era (although i didn't see the south africans to be honest). Bill Lawry deserves a mention (47 average and captain to boot). Sid Barnes to me is the player who should be openning (63 average but unfortunately didn't get the opportunity to play many matches due to World War 2 and last played in the Invincible tour where he was the best batsman i believe)

As for the bowlers i'd drop Thomson. He was fast but he didn't have the Lilee class (or so i've been told to be honest). Other good pace bowlers include Ray Lindwall (average 23 in 60 matches) and Keith Miller (a very good all-rounder who averaged 23 with the ball and 36 with the bat in 55 tests and he usually batted at 3-5). Can't complain about the others except maybe Lillee.

Personally:
1) Sid Barnes
2) Ricky Ponting
3) Sir Don Bradman (c)
4) Neil Harvey
5) Allan Border
6) Steve Waugh
7) Adam Gilchrist (Wk)
8) Shane Warne
9) Dennis Lillee
10) Ray Lindwall
11) Glenn Mcgrath
12)Richie Benaud (swap with Lilee when going to the sub-continent)

I found it very difficult to include Hayden and i'd hate to not have Keith Miller in this side. Miller could've come in for Lillee but its a wast to keep him in that position. He should be at 4-6 and to me Harvey was needed to bring a Pietersen like brilliance to the middle order. Hayden missed out because i'd rather have Ponting in the team than Hayden. Barnes couldn't be discluded like Border, Waugh and the great don couldn't be.
That's a fair team and no I didn't forget Neil Harvey, Arthur Morris or Sid Barnes. I just felt the need for Greg Chappell to be in the side was greater then adding another Opening Batsman to partner Matthew Hayden.

Chappell is a very underrated Australia batsman. Averaged 56 in Tests against the West Indies of the 1970's and 1980's. He also averaged over 50 against every country he played against barring England. The only countries he didn't average 50+ in were the West Indies and England but he still managed to average 49 in the West Indies. He also averaged 69 from 5 unauthorised "SuperTests" in the Carribbean in 1979.

By opening with Ponting, you are discounting the importance of one well versed to face the new ball. I understand that many openers are converted openers, but Ponting has never even once had the privledge of opening in a Test match - how can you say that he, who's one weakness is early in his innings, is fit to open for an All Time Australian Test XI? I know you have picked the best batsmen and hoped they'd fit into an order, but I'm sure you can agree that a team is more than the sum of its individuals.

By opening with Ponting, you are discounting the importance of one well versed to face the new ball. I understand that many openers are converted openers, but Ponting has never even once had the privledge of opening in a Test match - how can you say that he, who's one weakness is early in his innings, is fit to open for an All Time Australian Test XI? I know you have picked the best batsmen and hoped they'd fit into an order, but I'm sure you can agree that a team is more than the sum of its individuals.
I'm sure if you asked Ricky Ponting then he'd say that batting at number 3 isn't much different to Opening.

If it was a real team then I'd probably open with Bradman (he could probably bat anywhere if he wanted) and then bat Ponting at 3. I could also open with either Border or Chappell as they would be used to facing quality fast-bowling against the Windies. Techically, Ponting is better off facing the pace-bowlers with the new ball anyway because his much more effective against pace then he is against spin.

I just thought it would be disrespectful to deny Bradman the spot at number 3.

Users who are viewing this thread