Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

I think this should be fairly easy to implement as well. They could have a parameter called as `active playing time`. For example, the active playing time for a genuine fast bowler till he drops down in stamina would be far lower than that for a spinner or a batsman. For example, it would be lower in general for fielders but would still have an effect, say a team fielding for a day and a half before coming out to bat would have their openers coming up with

Good suggestion... Also, consider the stamina picking up when the player is off strike for a while ( and not doing too much running) and/or after drinks/lunch/tea break. :-)
And i agree that this should be easy to implement and its not new, as they already have these for the bowlers in AC09

More on fielding -

I am trying to make fielding more manual so here is my idea - When fielder gets the ball, there should be a power meter popup and the amount of power, distance and accuracy of a player should decide where the throw should go or either it should be direct hit or not. Overpowering may result in overthrows. Similar to the system like PES or Fifa, where the amount of power you apply, distance where you're standing and accuracy of a player before taking a shot decides the outcome.

I really enjoy fielding in real life too. But previous games always had fielding on automatic where once you releases ball from bowler's hand, everything is done by AI. I want to take as much control as we can. Fielding is really important part of cricketand should be (or at least have a option to) manual IMO.

Fielding is really important part of cricketand should be (or at least have a option to) manual IMO.

great idea - as long as its an option so people can play with usual automatic fielding then everyone's happy :thumbs

I am really interested in the gameplay, especially the physics of the ball. I regard Cricket 2000 highly in this regard because of the unexpected ways the ball behaves in the game. Used to play the hell out of that game.

I just hope the ball physics is more dynamic than the previous games. Hope the variations of the pitch and weather make more of a difference. And I want shot selection to matter. Hitting yorkers for a six should be a rarity(0.1%) and not a normality :p

One thing I found was that the sweet spot for timing a ball was pretty constant throughout most games. (Cricket 2007 mods kinda varied it) In IC 2010, once I found the timing spot, the game became a piece of cake.

I am really interested in the gameplay, especially the physics of the ball. I regard Cricket 2000 highly in this regard because of the unexpected ways the ball behaves in the game. Used to play the hell out of that game.

I just hope the ball physics is more dynamic than the previous games. Hope the variations of the pitch and weather make more of a difference. And I want shot selection to matter. Hitting yorkers for a six should be a rarity(0.1%) and not a normality :p

One thing I found was that the sweet spot for timing a ball was pretty constant throughout most games. (Cricket 2007 mods kinda varied it) In IC 2010, once I found the timing spot, the game became a piece of cake.

Hitting an over-pitched ball for 6 should be ok but a Yorker should never be able to be hit for 6. By definition Yorker is a delivery which jams the batsman and the ball ends up just below the bat. At most batsman should be able to dig it out to mid on/mid off or edge it to 3rd man/fine leg but not hit it for 6. And worst part is seeing a Yorker being pulled for a 6 :noway

Chief, I know you had said the effects of the pitch are more clear in this game. Relating to that, as we hear a lot of captains say it was harder for us to chase as the pitch had got slower as the game progressed or the openers found it hard as the moisture was there and stuff like that, are such effects prominent in the game too?
Im more concerned because it affects the timing a lot. Even for a whole single match the 'right' timing defers from time to time depending on the weather and the pitch.

Chief, I know you had said the effects of the pitch are more clear in this game. Relating to that, as we hear a lot of captains say it was harder for us to chase as the pitch had got slower as the game progressed or the openers found it hard as the moisture was there and stuff like that, are such effects prominent in the game too?
Im more concerned because it affects the timing a lot. Even for a whole single match the 'right' timing defers from time to time depending on the weather and the pitch.

Yep - Although, as I've said before, this is more an effect on the outfield rather than affecting the timing surely?

Yep - Although, as I've said before, this is more an effect on the outfield rather than affecting the timing surely?

Effect on outfield only? So is it more like a cosmetic change then? What impact does it have on the gameplay? I though impact on timing would be the most obvious thing as if the pitch is assisting movement of ball, playing the ball late would be beneficial, but obviously then you cant hit the ball hard etc.

Effect on outfield only? So is it more like a cosmetic change then? What impact does it have on the gameplay? I though impact on timing would be the most obvious thing as if the pitch is assisting movement of ball, playing the ball late would be beneficial, but obviously then you cant hit the ball hard etc.

Sorry - misunderstood. I read it as referring to dew, which slows the outfield.

Yeah, the later you commit to a ball generally the less chance you have of scoring, but it's safer and more controlled (although by no means safe!). It's also tied into your shape/positioning as well as timing.

How much attention have you paid to edges in the game, Chief? It's such an important part of cricket but no game has ever got it right. The thing is, in Ashes 2009 on the rare occasion that there was an edge the camera would jerk and it would look very unnatural. It's not easy, but maybe there's a way of getting a nice smooth angle on the edge?

How much attention have you paid to edges in the game, Chief? It's such an important part of cricket but no game has ever got it right. The thing is, in Ashes 2009 on the rare occasion that there was an edge the camera would jerk and it would look very unnatural. It's not easy, but maybe there's a way of getting a nice smooth angle on the edge?

The unpredictability of the physics is something we've worked very hard on, trying to ensure different varieties of edges from wispy-thin brushes to dirty thick audible edges. And yes: I think mainly because they didn't happen so often in 09 we didn't notice how distracting the camera being tightly attached to the ball was when deviating: we're using more dampening on it this time to avoid that.

Sorry - misunderstood. I read it as referring to dew, which slows the outfield.

Yeah, the later you commit to a ball generally the less chance you have of scoring, but it's safer and more controlled (although by no means safe!). It's also tied into your shape/positioning as well as timing.

That prompts me to ask if the batsman can stand half a feet outside the crease to try and negate the swing and escape the lbws?

----------

The unpredictability of the physics is something we've worked very hard on, trying to ensure different varieties of edges from wispy-thin brushes to dirty thick audible edges. And yes: I think mainly because they didn't happen so often in 09 we didn't notice how distracting the camera being tightly attached to the ball was when deviating: we're using more dampening on it this time to avoid that.

You talked about weather playing a big factor too. So humidity helps a lot of swing bowling right? And did you implement both the swing in the air as well as the swing after pitching or just one?

The unpredictability of the physics is something we've worked very hard on, trying to ensure different varieties of edges from wispy-thin brushes to dirty thick audible edges.
How are you handling audio on that? Especially if a DRS system is in the game, it would be great if there were varying degrees of edge sounds as well as sounds to throw people off.

I'd love to play the game and have a situation where I've got genuine doubt as to whether the batsman hit it or not - and really have to consider the tactical impacts.

How are you handling audio on that? Especially if a DRS system is in the game, it would be great if there were varying degrees of edge sounds as well as sounds to throw people off.

I'd love to play the game and have a situation where I've got genuine doubt as to whether the batsman hit it or not - and really have to consider the tactical impacts.

That's the idea. I've refused the idea of DRS in previous titles simply because you really couldn't tell: there wasn't enough indication. You should also get the commentators offering you hints as well of their first impressions before you exceed the appeal-time.

Users who are viewing this thread