Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

good point

Wasn't really trying to make a point, was just an honest question. Been out of the PC loop for a while.

Seems like an odd thing for the guy to lie about though but we don't know many details. Maybe it was a mobile game for all we know.

Regarding EA Cricket 2009, do we have any other proof of its existence aside from the commentary stuff form Hasha Bogli? (It was him yeah? Probably flinged up the spelling)

We had a load of info on it pre-release that was posted on the forums. I think it may have gone through the age rating systems etc too.
The Bhogle stuff was confirmation of what we had been saying as EA kept denying that the game existed! That was quite a while after though; maybe 2 years.

We had a load of info on it pre-release that was posted on the forums. I think it may have gone through the age rating systems etc too.
The Bhogle stuff was confirmation of what we had been saying as EA kept denying that the game existed! That was quite a while after though; maybe 2 years.

How was it looking as a game then? Did any features stand out?

I'm trying to find the feature list we had.

Edit: here you go: (from March 2009)

Planetcricket.net Exclusive Cricket09 News

Day 1

ICC Champions Trophy will be included in the game with real player names and likenesses.

Classic matches will be taken from the ICC archives to celebrate their centenary. As usual completing the challenges will unlock video content.

EA?s cricket series will get its first Indian commentator, Harsha Bogle, who was recently voted favourite TV cricket commentator by Cricinfo users. He will be a part of the C09 commentary team.

Day 2

Twenty20 World Cup, taking place in England, will be included in the game with licenses for the 20 teams competing..

Day 3

Bowling has been geared towards PC users with new mouse-based controls.
The ideal timing window will be larger for more skilful bowlers and decrease as the bowler starts to get tired.
Fielders can throw to both ends.

Day 4

There is now a visual reminder for batsmen telling them how long they have to set themselves before the ball is delivered. Once the metre has emptied batsman position is locked
Direction of mouse movement will now equal direction of shot.
There are more than 20 different shots available to the batman dependant on where the ball pitches.
Tutorial feedback will now include not only the timing of the shot but what the ideal shot for the delivery would have been.

Day 5

In an exciting new feature EA will include their own version of the IPL. There will be teams from the 8 largest cities playing a Twenty20 league.

There was a powerpoint which had info on control systems but I can't find it atm.

I'm trying to find the feature list we had.

Edit: here you go: (from March 2009)

There was a powerpoint which had info on control systems but I can't find it atm.

Thanks heaps for that, very interesting!

Sounds like an odd route to take, focusing on the PC market. Perhaps that caused its ultimate death.

Doesn't sound amazing having 20 shots available. Sounds like the animation system hadn't really improved. At least Codemasters/Transmission were doing good animation blending of shots back to BLIC 2005.

Code:
Mike Fegan: Hang in there screen shots are very close.
Like ? Reply ? 10 hours ago

I was also surprised when my mobile had this alert during my sleep for my post that I had earlier this month.

I really do not get it - if it is planned vacation, why do they even come back and said 'Early September' when you know very well(as it was planned a year back) that you won't be on the field to communicate in so and so date. :rolleyes

Looks like these people are going backward on every step they take. Good luck.

Talking about ea sports cricket 09, yeah I think it's time for a new holiday right mike.;)

Which makes it all the more amusing that Peter Moores flatly denied it existed or ever had existed (May 2009).

There was also a cricket game rumoured?

[Laughs]

?which was heavily tipped. Cricket?s a worldwide sport, Peter.

Yeah. I was watching County cricket last night, wondering how it survives as a business.

I think there are some big backers.

Is that what it is? OK. I was watching Glamorgan and Leicestershire, and there was, like, four men and a dog. Anyway. Go ahead.

Are you making a cricket game?

No. I don?t know what I have to say. It?s amazing. I love cricket myself. I?m a huge cricket fan, and I go back before all of you were born, watching test cricket and sitting out at Old Trafford as a kid watching Lancashire play. I mock County cricket, but in the old days it used to be a big deal. Today, I don?t know why it survives.

EA?s done cricket, but it goes back to the original issue we talked about. These are different times right now, and you can?t afford to do things that aren?t generating the right amount of return, that can?t keep your staff employed? Unfortunately cricket fits into that. While you say it?s a global sport, it is a regional sport where the sun has set on the British Empire.

And so I have to respond to rumours all the time.

Well, we?ll consider that rumour killed.

Yeah.

His passion for the sport really comes through in that interview.

And that is one of the many reasons I will continue to back Trickstar over EA.

I was at Surrey/Yorkshire earlier this week. There were maybe 200 people there.
But I also got to see (Holly) Ballance play a sublime innings, and will hopefully see him do the same in front of 84,000 overseas come December. :-)

I agree with Peter to an extent, but citing country cricket figures to prove the point is wrong: do EA also claim then that football is not a big enough market because he saw Accrington vs Stockport midweek and only 300 showed up?

I see where he was going, but very bad examples.

I agree chief years ago there was only first class or tests, so grounds would be packed, these days with one day and in the last 10yrs 20/20, people won't pay to see the longer form of the game, also first class game are on week days when people are at work, and its not cheap! With tv and Internet nowadays people want action and they want it now!!! They don't want to sit for 4 days for a drawn game, to me it IS cricket, yes the 20/20 stuffs good for entertainment but its not real cricket, and its not goin to bring on future test players, sure I can understand counties need the one day stuff and tv etc to keep goin, and in some ways without it, many counties wouldn't survive without it, but test cricket is the pinnacle of the sport and things need to be put in place to save the four day game and thus ensure the future if test cricket. People in the sub continent aren't that bothered about the ashes, so a game just focusing on that, especially with a competitor offering so much more, isn't goin to be economically viable, no matter how good it is. And as its looking like it isn't very good, what's the point of releasing?

Last edited:
Subcontinent sales are just a small fraction of the total sales AC13 is expected to have in Eng/Aus (if at all it releases, that is). Obviously no one's 'not releasing' the game just because the subcontinent ppl don't care about the Ashes.

Subcontinent sales are just a small fraction of the total sales AC13 is expected to have in Eng/Aus (if at all it releases, that is). Obviously no one's 'not releasing' the game just because the subcontinent ppl don't care about the Ashes.

There are many reasons not just sub continent, really whose goin to buy a game with only two teams, when they can create, share etc with DB14. Personally I think trickster realise they haven't got it right, if Db14 didn't exist we'd hav AC13 now!!! They realise they've dropped a bollock, with their budget it could've been better than DB14 but they went with ashes license etc and now they're in too deep!

There are many reasons not just sub continent, really whose goin to buy a game with only two teams, when they can create, share etc with DB14. Personally I think trickster realise they haven't got it right, if Db14 didn't exist we'd hav AC13 now!!! They realise they've dropped a bollock, with their budget it could've been better than DB14 but they went with ashes license etc and now they're in too deep!

I know there are some serious flaws with the game on paper, and it not passing the submissions back in June does validate our speculations. But then making a game that focuses on just a single series and two teams, and does nothing for the wider appeal or longevity, is always a cash grab. And, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually sold decently on the licenses alone, after all there are tons of ppl out there who don't know either of the two games as of yet, and hence wouldn't know about the release fiasco, early September reveal, "all that and more". It's pretty sad but we here at PC.net and even the 30K odd ppl on fb (and I bet a good portion of it must have liked the game page mistaking it for the actual Investec Ashes Series) are still a small part of the potential customers. The bulk still doesn't know of this game, and its ups and downs.

Users who are viewing this thread