Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

^ TGGI

I definitely don't think we've scared him off but we should remember that:
a) he doesn't have to post here
b) there are sometimes things beyond his control which means he can't share information

I'm certainly not defending making promises you can't keep but there is still no reason to attack someone personally.

True that he doesnt have to post here. Nobody forced him to. This is exactly the point. He CHOSE himself to post here and make the statements he did.

There is nothing, nothing, nothing stopping him saying: look guys, I thought I could reveal this or that then or then but because of this or that I cant.

Because he says nothing, nothing, nothing he becomes unbelievable and untrustworthy.

WE did not create that. HE did.

That does not give anyone the right to be abusive but certainly gives the right to ask simple questions: why did you say this but not come through and why couldnt you tell us you couldnt come through?

If you treat people like five year olds you are going to have to accept that some five year olds will react in a manner appropriate for how they are being treated.

As I said on the previous page it's hard to believe that after all the apologies for poor communication and promises to do better we're seeing the exact same again.

Like you've said, he doesn't have to come on here, and even if he has something to announce, he'll probably do it somewhere else. AC13 does have its own forum, albeit very quiet!! Lets just hope bigant/trublu take this as its not a threat any more and move into marketing/release mode. Could understand why Ross wanted to wait and see what trickster were doin but they've done nothing and a few ads in the right places could make this a big success. Lets hope so.

lots of people saying he doesn't have to post here.

it's literally true, in that he doesn't have a contract with pc.net, but no product goes to market without some sort of social engagement these days, and posting here is a part of that. now their engagement may have been rubbish, borderline mendacious, but it would have been a part of the product strategy to engage socially and pc.net is a pretty logical place especially when there is a games section. and consumers expect* that engagement to be professional, open and honest as far as possible, which trickstar have not been. nothing vindicates wishing unemployment (or worse) on people, but that sort of thing represents a very small minority of comments here - most have been of the variety of "this is a terrible way to treat potential customers"/"this game is gonna be rubbish"... one of those is empirically true, and the other is a reasonable assumption based on the past few months: if they had anything they were proud to show us, they'd have shown us.

*BIGGS watch - I am using expect to mean "to consider likely or certain to happen"/"to suppose".

I understand that he doesn't have to come on here, but he did. In fact he said everything would be revealed in September, which was a stock answer given to about 75% of valid, answerable questions at the time. He chose to come on here, and ask people to have faith and stick with the product until the window for answering those questions was open... it's come and gone, nobody is the wiser. It's indefensible, really. I understand he's clearly in a situation where the game is a disaster at worst, or miles behind schedule at best... so it's clearly being hidden by either 505 or Trickstar (or both). Good majority of us are smart enough to smell a rat here, we were months ago when they missed July, but the benefit of the doubt was given when we were told it was to produce a better product... Now they've missed a self-imposed deadline of Mike's own volition, which is totally and utterly ridiculous. That kinda conduct in a public forum, pretty much destroys any kind of trust or goodwill and basically, it's pointless to get interested (or be excited) about anything he turns up with now because trust-wise, there's no basis we can believe anything he says (or shows) because it's nothing but smoke and mirrors and deceit.

Again; Prolly a lovely guy, no disrespect intended... but at this point, this games public perception is a irreversible disaster.

Blocker, at the LORDS press day both 505 and Trickstar made a point of namedropping PlanetCricket and the community interaction here as an important part of both engaging with the fans and the games development. One of their BIGGEST failures, in my opinion, was Chief being removed from the team as a go-between because he comes with good pedigree here as a forum member and when he was able to have freedom here, we were able to have a decent level of trust in what was being said as well as feel like our thoughts and feedback was being considered. When Chief got neutered, there's a HUGE amount of trust lost, there was a good guy, actually one of US that got hung out to dry and copped a good chunk of the blame for the release date stuff (when, basically, that was out of his wheelhouse at that point) ...then Mike turns up, wanting to make amends, given the benefit of the doubt then pisses all over that again and does a terrible job of getting back that respect and trust.

It's just a really sh#tty way to treat fans of your product, basically. I feel let down, in a personal sense (however silly that is) because I defend to this day how good AC09 is but it's honestly been harder and harder to start that game up knowing this is how we're viewed and treated by the people that make these products, or at least, made that one. It's going to make it so much easier to go buy DBC14 knowing that each of us played a small role in that game, however minor... but even moreso because the people that made that title genuinely valued our feedback here and, are just good f#cking people.

Last edited:
In the end we as members of pc and well cricket are very forgiving lot, god I still want to buy this game if released. No one with a half a brain wants jobs to be lost and as we all know trickstar can make cricket games, 6 months ago there future was so bright and now the clouds will not go away.

PS Mike Fegan, is the game on track, not asking for screens/video just a simple yes or no.:spy

Actually, 79... Matt said it best on twitter:

@MattWhitehorn said:
I would rather one company making cricket games that can respect customers than two where one is just cynically cashing in on licences... I can't care about @ashescricket13 anymore - it doesn't matter what/if they deliver - it's not an approach to customers I can support.

Sums up my position, perfectly*

Rest assured, it won't be end of September

We will releasing actual in game screen shots and game play videos next month.

Sorry, the song remains the same "all will be revealed next month".

Songs over, Mike.

*which it should, since I run the MattW Official Twitter Account

Last edited:
couldn't agree with Matt's tweet / Biggs' sentiments more.

Like 79C, I don't wish unemplyment on anyone. But at the same time, there is simply not a single positive reason to purchase this game (you might all have guessed I don't give the proverbial hot s##t about kit items) and i already give to charity.

and the end of the day, while not wishing ill to anyone, I am also a supporter of capitalism. the best way to avoid unemployment/failure is to produce a good product and treat your customers with respect. 505/trickstar have done neither.

Irony is at this stage, in this thread alone we've been given more reasons not to buy it than reasons to... Licenses aside, nothing we have really seen since the early Q&A stuff with Chief, has really given us any insight into what the game is about... yet by comparison, we're down to asking questions about button-combinations and run-rates with the other title. It's hilarious, when you step back and look at it. With Ashes, we still DO NOT KNOW exactly how we're editing players, for example. If we can at all! We've seen no evidence to show that's even possible, other than "you can edit x but not y but it's a player creator community just like the other game"

What?

I'm paraphrasing, but that's the jist.

EDIT:

Eh, I'm kinda done, I don't think I need to beat the horse anymore. It's the respect thing that pisses me off the most, feel like we're a nuisance for asking these reasonably valid and easy questions.

Last edited:
No one with a half a brain wants jobs to be lost and as we all know trickstar can make cricket games, 6 months ago there future was so bright and now the clouds will not go away.
I would dare speculate that after how far the game blew out the release date by, 505 might be continuing the development on this title with them, but can you really see them choosing Trickstar to develop the next cricket title after this experience?

It looks like primarily Trickstar now do mobile games - smaller, low investment games that if one of them takes off can probably be more profitable than the big console games like this one.

True I do agree with you Biggs/BD and MattW but at the same time I just want to try the game, if it does get released and is a bomb then ok back to the shops. Just like Duke and that alien game early this year, I just want to see what went wrong.

PS They never had a chance against DB14 but they are making it easy for Ross, I hope Ross just acts like they are not there and we get a ace cricket game soon. So SAD.:(

There is a case to be made that good things are worth waiting for, however I am starting to question whether they're worth waiting this long... it's certainly been a long road for BOTH titles from announcement to release...

One missed, one a mystery.

But no, I won't be buying Ashes 13 for the reasons Matt raised in his tweet.

I would dare speculate that after how far the game blew out the release date by, 505 might be continuing the development on this title with them, but can you really see them choosing Trickstar to develop the next cricket title after this experience?

It looks like primarily Trickstar now do mobile games - smaller, low investment games that if one of them takes off can probably be more profitable than the big console games like this one.

Don Bradman Cricket 14 the special Ashes Edition maybe, the ashes is still a good licence and maybe one day the licence will go to someone that will use it right.:D

----------

There is a case to be made that good things are worth waiting for, however I am starting to question whether they're worth waiting this long... it's certainly been a long road for BOTH titles from announcement to release...

One missed, one a mystery.

But no, I won't be buying Ashes 13 for the reasons Matt raised in his tweet.

What no photoshop Edition if the game is a bomb Biggs. PS EB games have a 7 day return so no problem for me about buying it but keeping it that is a different story. PS If we do see a release, I feel we will hear that the game has been dropped by 505 games soon.

PS Mobile phone version of ashes 201- MattW, want to play.

Only two things can save this game now.
1. Ravi Shastri's legendary commentary.
And, 2. Dhoni on cover with his helicopter shot.

Users who are viewing this thread