Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

I am still around and I check in everyday but feel if I have nothing positive to say then stay quiet until I do. I also like to follow your opinions which I may not sometimes agree with but I do appreciate your passion about cricket & cricket games. Several months ago I came to the assumption that "action is louder than words" so that's what we have been doing and we still need to redeem ourselves by November, 2013.

----------

I hope I never stop learning!

So this is the last post I could find from Mike on 11/09/13

It's what 4/5 weeks since that now?

Absolute disgrace how he has lied and promised things and then disappeared again the moment something goes a bit iffy their end

I know I'm shouting the same old same old, just so frustrating to come on here every few days and just see "nothing"

And again with the other game we still don't know any real release info, instead they now try to fill our minds with this lacrosse crap,

:mad

Eh, take the Lacrosse stuff for what it is... an equally lower-tier sports title that hasn't got any love for a long time, they're giving it a good shot at getting something off the ground, can only benefit any future cricket titles and I applaud them for giving it a good shot for fans of that product.

But yeah, this Ashes... is as dead as... ashes... eh, I got nothing.

Eh, take the Lacrosse stuff for what it is... an equally lower-tier sports title that hasn't got any love for a long time, they're giving it a good shot at getting something off the ground, can only benefit any future cricket titles and I applaud them for giving it a good shot for fans of that product.

But yeah, this Ashes... is as dead as... ashes... eh, I got nothing.

If it's made by an Australian company that's made other successful games, it may generate some interest in people who aren't fans of the sport. Many people got into to American sports via video games. Lacrosse never had a big one though.

One reason I care about Big Ant making other sports games is that the business helps the whole viability of making a bunch of them. Other sports titles help share the development load to get up to the standard that is expected of console games.

As far as I could tell, Trickstar's other games were flight sims - with very little carry over if any to cricket. If they had been making games for other sports in the time between IC2010 and now, they might have been able to pull off a cricket game in the timeframe they had and done a good job of it.

Given the price, and given it's what, a month from the latest "viable" release - if they don't release before the first test what's the point - it would indicate that there won't be a penny of extra promotion or marketing done. They will just announce release and send it out, I guess, no point in wasting more money on it.

I guess they are only releasing it at all because the penalites for not releasing would be higher than the costs in distributing it? Since the price can hardly be profitable?

Or again, since it isn't out yet, would the pre-order prices be accurate?

I don't really care either way, I will not be buying this game. I don't think Big Ant will be cutting and running, they obviously have a passion for cricket and I don't think (yet) they need competition to keep them 'honest' in that regards. It would be much better in the long run for them to set the bar high, be successful and draw competition in by the quality of their game increasing the market. If Ashes releases and gets a modicum of success putting out a p*ss poor game with a big licence, what incentive is there for any future competitor to take on Big Ant on their terms, they'd just follow the 505/Trickstar route. Counterintuitively, at this point cricket gaming is better served by Ashes not releasing, or releasing and failing. Harsh on the individuals there with livelihoods at stake, but I am talking here only as a consumer.

Last edited:
I am a man of my word

You will have screen shots and game play vision in September so hang in there as it will be worth the wait.

picard-facepalm-o.gif

my favourite "Mike Fegan is a liar" fact is he posted about how he checks in here every day, right before he stopped coming in here.

there is a possibility that far from being an incompetent developer, he is in fact a surrealist master.

So don't show up telling everyone how you're going to make things better, then promptly say nothing for two months and then disappear. Talk about burning bridges. I don't for a minute think either 505 or Trickstar know what they're doing, but Chief sure as hell did a better job of faking it... and he's one of us.

EDIT: The analogy here is John Wayne walking into town, telling everyone he's going to rid the place of bandits and robbers, but you have to wait another month because he's busy fixin' a wagon. So he tells you this over and over again for a whole month, while the bandits and robbers keep wrecking stuff, then John Wayne just disappears off into the sunset to a rousing, emotional orchestral score but he forget all about the riddin' the ol' town thing... Mike brought absolutely nothing to the forum, after promising quite a bit, for quite a while...

Last edited:
Question is Biggs, if Mike F came on here tomorrow or soon with a video/screens would most of us forgive him. It's like we are the wife's that live with a husband that hits them but instead of flowers we get promise this and that.

Matt....did mike f visit the forum recently? You guys should know.

Matt....did mike f visit the forum recently? You guys should know.

you can see on his profile page: Last Activity: 12th Sep 2013 07:52 AM

this is is the day after he gave his speech about "I check in every day".

and 79C, no, I wouldn't. nobody should buy this game. anyone who does will contribute to sh*t cricket games in future, because what incentive will anyone have to do better if this game succeeds?

There's also a possibility that exactly what he can say and when is influenced by 505 games.

Try not to constantly lean towards these guys, always speaking slightly in their favour or finding an excuse for them.

Sometimes, people receive criticism that they truly deserve. Fegan said he was a man of his word and then bailed. Using 505 Games as a scapegoat for his behaviour is just a cop-out.

Fegan crowed about how honest and open he is, and that he was going to restore our trust, only to go into hiding without giving anyone the slightest hint as to why.

If he had a death in the family, fair enough. But we don't know that, do we? And it's a long shot. It's much more likely to be something dysfunctional within the company which has led him to slink away in embarrassment.

Not cool, not professional, and completely pathetic.

And I've made several statements saying much of what you've said. I just think that people tend to make assumptions based on limited facts and/or understanding.
I don't think it's been handled at all well but nor do I think we know (or should know) the whole story.

Users who are viewing this thread