Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

Wouldn't you have things like needing to keep track of ranked matches, accounts, a lobby, etc?

I'm thinking that they'll have removed anything that would possibly require them to spend money with ongoing expenses that aren't built into the price of the game.

Those screenshots are honestly mobile phone game quality. I like in the banner how Warner has clearly played his shot, the bowler has turned around to do something, yet the non-striker is still poised like he was during the bowler runup.

Also very odd to be advertising "Ashes" yet all the Steam screenshots are for ODIs.

----------

If my gaming-capable laptop hadn't gone belly-up I'd be tempted to buy this.

This must be the first game in history that has regressed as it approaches release. Instead of adding features approaching release they are stripping it down. By Friday, this game will be a LEGO set.

Someone's never followed the development of any major RPG!

Someone's never followed the development of any major RPG!

I'll give you that. However, this game had everything just a few weeks ago and everything was simply being 'turned on' prior to release. Now, forget about 'all that and more' it's a case of 'something, anything!'

God knows what happened when they flicked the switch to turn the features on....

The "its all just being turned on!" thing was September though, right? There's nothing on the AC13 twitter since then, and nothing on facebook since August. Its obvious that they are just pushing it out to get the start of the Ashes series to get a few sales while meeting their contract with ECB/CA...

I feel sorry for the club teams included in it - imagine getting all excited because "I'm going to be in the Ashes cricket game!" only for it to be released silently on only PCs because its not good enough...

I'll give you that. However, this game had everything just a few weeks ago and everything was simply being 'turned on' prior to release. Now, forget about 'all that and more' it's a case of 'something, anything!'

God knows what happened when they flicked the switch to turn the features on....

How easy it is to fool people.
Steam does a lot for you. Consoles do it all for you. (Except non-gameplay things like Cricket Academy)

It would be peer - to - peer in any case, no server required.

Ross, are the Cricket Academy servers being hosted at Big Ant's offices?

Last edited:
Absolutely gutted about this. Such a bad name this'll give to cricket games and the worst thing is that it'll sell, Big Ant'll be pushed back and we all lose out.

I haven't posted in a while, but this is terrible news as far as I'm concerned, sad I did come back to this.
Anyone who argues that competition is a good element in this instance is not taking into account that this is a shambolic scrambled together game and for those who aren't as well read on both games as we are here, will perhaps become even more dissolusioned at the lack of progress in cricket games.

So upset, probably just like many others here, the worst thing is and I'll hate myself for it, I'm going to buy it (and after all this, to support the developer in this instance goes against all my values) as I just really want to play a cricket game.

And at this newish Indian poster who did the screenshot, thanks for showing utorrent open, glad to see that you're quick to give your input on games and the like, but obviously much slower to open your wallet for the end result. Fantastic.

I wouldn't bash utorrent out of hand - it makes downloading really large mods for games and similar legal large files much easier and less annoying to deal with than most download sites, its just that a overwhelming amount of its use is illegal. I'm not going to go into it more than that because the piracy discussion is just dull and overdone at this point - just ban anyone who admits to pirating a current release (not for abandonware so much, I'd have to delete my copy of Cricket 97 :spy) and ignore it!

Absolutely gutted about this. Such a bad name this'll give to cricket games and the worst thing is that it'll sell, Big Ant'll be pushed back and we all lose out.

I haven't posted in a while, but this is terrible news as far as I'm concerned, sad I did come back to this.
Anyone who argues that competition is a good element in this instance is not taking into account that this is a shambolic scrambled together game and for those who aren't as well read on both games as we are here, will perhaps become even more dissolusioned at the lack of progress in cricket games.

So upset, probably just like many others here, the worst thing is and I'll hate myself for it, I'm going to buy it (and after all this, to support the developer in this instance goes against all my values) as I just really want to play a cricket game.

And at this newish Indian poster who did the screenshot, thanks for showing utorrent open, glad to see that you're quick to give your input on games and the like, but obviously much slower to open your wallet for the end result. Fantastic.

if you buy this game, you're supporting developers treating cricket gamers badly, end-of. justify it as you wish - it's clearly worse than games already out there, it's a developer/publisher who have treated cricket gamers and this forum's users with contempt, and you're saying "that's fine, here's my money". what possible incentive is there for anyone else to come and do better?

How easy it is to fool people.

How is it fooling people if the end result is a fringe game on Steam that will not cover their development cost over the last 2-3 years??

What do they gain? Substantial losses? Irreparable reputation damage?

I don't understand that logic.

if you buy this game, you're supporting developers treating cricket gamers badly, end-of. justify it as you wish - it's clearly worse than games already out there, it's a developer/publisher who have treated cricket gamers and this forum's users with contempt, and you're saying "that's fine, here's my money". what possible incentive is there for anyone else to come and do better?

I don't think they set out 3 years ago to release a half-baked game on Steam but that is where they are. I presume incompetence and bad management has got them there.

We have a responsibility to move the market forward which means we have to be discerning customers. That means we don't buy a game that is crap. Simple.

Last edited:

Agreed but the stand is made by not buying it; not by pirating it as others are suggesting.

Users who are viewing this thread