Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

Obliged...

attachment.php

Is that what is meant by 'Memory leakage'.. looks like they've forgotten that they are supposed to be playing cricket and just having a game of catch! Lol

So anyone I played the game for the first time this afternoon (shortly after it was cancelled) and I have some first impressions...

Bowling - oh dear. Every single run the opposition made was from overthrows and nearly every wicket was a runout (in a test match). It was way too hard to beat the bat. No matter how far outside off I bowled the computer shuffled across the stumps with lightening speed and blocked it (usually to leg).
Changing deliveries is a total faff involving about 6 button clicks and I couldn't see any difference in the alternate deliveries anyway. I finally worked out the key seemed to be moving the bowling column sideways after pressing A which helped me to get a hit top of off bowled with Swann (then again it was probably chance).
Batting is hard. With the quick bowlers you appear to have to select your shot before they decide on the speed. Found it a lot easier with the broadcast cam rather than batsman cam to time it. Couldn't beat the field with either unless there was a gap you could drive a bus into. Without any spider/wagon wheel etc impossible to know how much shot variation there was but judging by how I constantly picked out the same fielders I'd say not much.
Good thing (!): they know the lbw law. Ball pitched outside leg, hitting middle. Umpire said not out and hawkeye confirmed. Wow.
Both batting and bowling were frustrating rather than fun. I was getting lag too despite my reasonably high end system which made batting timing even harder.
All the "licensed items" looked nice but looked a lot of credits were needed to unlock so won't be bothering with that.
Aside from overthrows and runouts I didn't get any of the glitches I've seen on youtube. Most runs they got in one go was 9 which is normal right?

No replays is annoying as half the time you've got no idea how you got out or what just happened. Ditto the timing feedback system seems to work very intermittently making it very hard to improve timing.

Features: none
Redeeming features: none
Verdict: not even worth pirating

So here's a bit of history about this company. They used to originally be called Transmission, and the way they would treat their staff was very ea_spouse-like. Like, more and more mandatory overtime, you know the drill. Eventually (after reams of overtime and not getting paid on time) the staff starts leaving and the company goes bust. Many of the programmers escape to a rival games company I worked for at the time, which is how I know this by first hand account.

Next, Transmission pull a phoenix trick where you declare bankruptcy, jettison all your debt (including salary obligations) yet somehow manage to retain all assets and start again. This time as... Trickstar games! I no longer know anyone that works there, and wouldn't be surprised if they were unable to hire enough competent programmers given their previous conduct. The results speak for themselves.
tomlu709 comments on Ashes Cricket 2013 Cancelled AFTER Release

Interesting comment from someone who seems in the know about Trickstar on reddit.

Sounds like management are not only internet shitty, but proper human shitty.

I used to work for a company where we were we often outsourced in to clients offices. Was in one once when they didn't get their salaries on the expected day... There were people in tears over paying their mortgage/rent how much they'd be charged for going overdrawn etc. was absolutely a terrible place to be (and I was so glad my salary wasn't paid by them...)

I am a capitalist at heart at philosophical about working conditions - nobody forces you to work for a particular company - but bloody hell pay your staff on time.

The idea that they struggled to attract enough competent staff in their new guise is highly possible and would explain a lot

I have heard they had some really good talent involved but some of them walked. I don't have specific names though, but I think it's harsh to suggest it was a lack of talent as Ross has also said some of the staff there are great guys. Think it's total mis-management...

MattW the hero the world needed right now. Biggs you should do some artwork with matt in a superman outfit.:D

MattW the hero the world needed right now. Biggs you should do some artwork with matt in a superman outfit.:D

Matt has always been the Superman to my Batman...

Users who are viewing this thread