Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

Previous Cricket games, no matter what the license, have shown very similar patterns in terms of where the game sells...

The editor in 2013 is a big improvement offering more customisation options (you can play around with various bits you couldn't before: no longer are you just picking from a few generic heads!) AND THERE'S SOME SLIDERS INVOLVED.
I know you guys love a slider or two... :yes

A hight slider chief and weight slider, I want to be
6 feet 8 and 130kg.:thumbs

The English squad is out, well it's called the performance squad.

1. Alastair Cook (Essex) Test and One-Day Captain
2. Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire) T20 Captain
3. James Anderson (Lancashire)
4. Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)
5. Ian Bell (Warwickshire)
6. Ravi Bopara (Essex)
7. Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire)
8. Danny Briggs (Hampshire)
9. Jos Buttler (Somerset)
10. Nick Compton (Somerset)
11. Jade Dernbach (Surrey)
12. Steven Finn (Middlesex)
13. Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire)
14. James Harris (Middlesex)
15. Craig Kieswetter (Somerset)
16. Michael Lumb (Nottinghamshire)
17. Stuart Meaker (Surrey)
18. Eoin Morgan (Middlesex)
19. Graham Onions (Durham)
20. Monty Panesar (Sussex)
21. Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire)
22. Kevin Pietersen (Surrey)
23. Matt Prior (Sussex)
24. Joe Root (Yorkshire)
25. Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire)
26. James Tredwell (Kent)
27. Chris Tremlett (Surrey)
28. Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire)
29. Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
30. Luke Wright (Sussex)

When you compare that team to the Australian one, you just can't see anything but a 5-0 ashes victory! Ok I'll be fair....................4-0!!!

When you compare that team to the Australian one, you just can't see anything but a 5-0 ashes victory! Ok I'll be fair....................4-0!!!

Yeah cause they just did so well against New Zealand and all, false confidence I think. Aussie will go a LOT better in English conditions than Indian. Bit of a joke when you just bowl 90% spin in a test match sorry... sure, play to your strengths, but when India go overseas they will struggle just as much as what Aussie did. Indian seam attack is pretty weak.

Last edited:

I would love them ever more if they had markers on. Do you know how much experimenting it took me to find out how far I needed to fill the speed bar in order to get the correct speeds? To long is the answer. (Fill the bar and subtract 14 points for an 85-88mph bowler if anyone's interested)!

That actually brings up a relevant point - Chief - if you simulate the Ashes series using the squads announced, who wins? Are you confident enough in the realism of the match engine to put a bet on that outcome?

Yeah cause they just did so well against New Zealand and all, false confidence I think. Aussie will go a LOT better in English conditions than Indian. Bit of a joke when you just bowl 90% spin in a test match sorry... sure, play to your strengths, but when India go overseas they will struggle just as much as what Aussie did.

Woooow somebody's on the defensive! :p
I'm a windies fan mate, I don't care who wins the ashes as long as its entertaining. Just couldn't resist but make an Aussie fan bite. And bite you did!

I'm a windies fan mate, I don't care who wins the ashes as long as its entertaining. Just couldn't resist but make an Aussie fan bite. And bite you did!

Lol, I'm a NZer, I like to see the Aussies lose, but also like to see England lose :) I wasn't defensive, just stating the facts :P Aussie did well at home this summer and pushed South Africa close. Hussey was a huge loss though.

That actually brings up a relevant point - Chief - if you simulate the Ashes series using the squads announced, who wins? Are you confident enough in the realism of the match engine to put a bet on that outcome?

We're still tweaking the players stats at the moment, so I can't say exactly what result it would actually produce...
But based on the amount of work gone into getting the simulate to better reflect real-world scorecards I'd be confident it would be in the right ballpark...

I wouldn't bet on The Ashes though: there's enough at stake already without piling my personal finances on top of it. :-)

How are you liking the wi team of late, getting strong
But not like the 80s.

This ashes will be close, 3 to 2 going to the pommies.:facepalm

Previous Cricket games, no matter what the license, have shown very similar patterns in terms of where the game sells...

The editor in 2013 is a big improvement offering more customisation options (you can play around with various bits you couldn't before: no longer are you just picking from a few generic heads!) AND THERE'S SOME SLIDERS INVOLVED.

I like the sound of this Chief, very encouraging, can I ask though whilst I understand we probably won't be able to edit licensed players from Eng and Aus, will we at least be able to add created players to their squads like we could in IC2010, in order to keep the squad fairly current after the ashes series have been and gone.

How are you liking the wi team of late, getting strong
But not like the 80s.

I don't think any team will ever be the WINDIES of the 80's again.
I could go on for ages about the windies but I will just be deleted for being "off topic".

----------

will we at least be able to add created players to their squads like we could in IC2010, in order to keep the squad fairly current after the ashes series have been and gone.

I have high hopes that this game will get after release support. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some roster updates. Maybe in the form of dlc around the ashes in Australia time. Perhaps a new stadium or two or three............

I take this point, but there's a counter argument that says that giving players TOO much ability to update the game themselves might mean that they don't buy future versions from you. Commercially it's a big risk: one might speculate (and clearly I *am* speculating) that some of the previous efforts of building Cricket franchises might have been derailed because people were happy to just keep editing an old version (which of course the publishers see absolutely no return on their investment for)... (Point of interest: there's 5 times the amount of people looking at a mod thread about a 6 or 7 year old game as I type this than there is looking at the Ashes 2013 thread).

The counter argument is clearly "well, if they ignored a new version of a game and were happy to edit the old one, then clearly you didn't make enough improvements in other areas", but that all costs money and with the market for Cricket games being a fraction of some of the other big sports I could see why they wouldn't want to take the risk: when considering a long-term commitment to making cricket games it would have to be a consideration if you worried your core fanbase might just buy the first one and not any subsequent ones.

Again, this is all just my individual opinion: I'm just saying I can see both sides and it's not that simple an issue. I'm the devil's avocado.

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish, and he might never buy another fish off you. :D

In EA 07 even AI settings and shot directions were changed. Yes, here I agree with 'your' argument. But then, all we ask for is to allow us create our heros and enjoy them with authentic jerseys (stats updates too maybe). What else do we need? You keep updating the gameplay, we keep watch for the licencing problems. Its a good deal, no statement of future sales holds here.
Even if it were, such a strict code would only bring more frowns to your desk than smiles, from your fans.

I take this point, but there's a counter argument that says that giving players TOO much ability to update the game themselves might mean that they don't buy future versions from you. Commercially it's a big risk: one might speculate (and clearly I *am* speculating) that some of the previous efforts of building Cricket franchises might have been derailed because people were happy to just keep editing an old version (which of course the publishers see absolutely no return on their investment for)... (Point of interest: there's 5 times the amount of people looking at a mod thread about a 6 or 7 year old game as I type this than there is looking at the Ashes 2013 thread).

The counter argument is clearly "well, if they ignored a new version of a game and were happy to edit the old one, then clearly you didn't make enough improvements in other areas", but that all costs money and with the market for Cricket games being a fraction of some of the other big sports I could see why they wouldn't want to take the risk: when considering a long-term commitment to making cricket games it would have to be a consideration if you worried your core fanbase might just buy the first one and not any subsequent ones.

Again, this is all just my individual opinion: I'm just saying I can see both sides and it's not that simple an issue. I'm the devil's avocado.

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish, and he might never buy another fish off you. :D

I strongly feel that this is a very negative approach by a trickstar. Transmission/Trickstar created 3 games which were well below average and did not have any depth, and that is the very main reason why people go back to the older versions of the games. I still play BLIC99 only due to the fact that no cricket game has matched it.

If the game is strong enough it will sell, quality, depth, innovation is what lacked in previous games from trickstar/transmission. The basics of cricket is just not there. Therefore people go and fall back and mod the older versions.

From a commercial point of view fair enough thinking but for a cricket fan this post of yours is a major turn off (atleast for me) well all I can say to you is to make intelligent AI otherwise I have pretty much given up on this game, I am pratically seeing Big Ant Cricket superceeding Cricket 07 downloads thread section in next 6 months.

I don't think any team will ever be the WINDIES of the 80's again.
I could go on for ages about the windies but I will just be deleted for being "off topic".

----------

I have high hopes that this game will get after release support. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some roster updates. Maybe in the form of dlc around the ashes in Australia time. Perhaps a new stadium or two or three............

Support after the game is release, now codemaster i would say never.:mad
Let's hope 505 games are different in this way.:thumbs

1. Patches for the games problems(all games have them)
2. DLC if they can but chief has said he does not like DLC, still that's
up to sony,microsoft and 505 games.
3. Ashes 2013 needs to sell well to have any chance of improvements.:D

Users who are viewing this thread