Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

Oversight implies something un-intentional.
It's actually been designed, prototyped and ultimately omitted in order to improve our game.

I didn't know that. My impression was that DRS was indeed an oversight and something you would rather add in future iteration. But again I would defer to your better judgment about the features in the game coz you are the one close to it, not us. As long as you nail the gameplay I don't think folks will care about the left out features.

Last edited:
People need to let the DRS problem go but one last question chief from me on DRS, what made you let it go. Please don't say to improve the game, maybe a balance problem or you guys could not get it working 100%.

We didn't have enough resource to get it into this version the way we wanted it. I'm hopeful we will be able to add it via an update.

Lol: No, not "news"... before everyone gets really excited! I'm "hopeful"... but there's nothing I can confirm right now.

It's ok chief we understand, also the other problem you have now is time and it's running out fast, with just 9 weeks to go the game should be near finished right chief:thumbs. Any idea when the next boardcast or news is coming...:spy

It's ok chief we understand, also the other problem you have now is time and it's running out fast, with just 9 weeks to go the game should be near finished right chief:thumbs. Any idea when the next boardcast or news is coming...:spy

Time is always a part of the "resource" available.

Yep: we're in final bug-fixing at the moment ahead of platform submissions.

Lol: No, not "news"... before everyone gets really excited! I'm "hopeful"... but there's nothing I can confirm right now.

I'm willing to bet there will be a post on the lines of "Chief promised DRS will be added via a patch/update/DLC" pretty soon :lol

----------

Chief, what is the turn-around time for approvals after the submissions? Also, what specifically do Microsoft and Sony look for before they approve the game?

I never like to say exactly, as I'm never sure if it's public knowledge or a secret or anything.

I did find some public stuff though: Requirements for XBox Certified Games | eHow.co.uk

Isn't it risky to disclose the game release date and then go ahead with the platform approval process? What if Microsoft or Sony turn around with a laundry list of things to do before the game can be approved?

Isn't it risky to disclose the game release date and then go ahead with the platform approval process? What if Microsoft or Sony turn around with a laundry list of things to do before the game can be approved?

Yeah I see your point but remember this is not there first game or cricket game for these consoles or pc.maybe 2 months is always enough time.
Still a excellent question cricketonline.:yes

----------

I never like to say exactly, as I'm never sure if it's public knowledge or a secret or anything.

I did find some public stuff though: Requirements for XBox Certified Games | eHow.co.uk

Should have no problem with the rating chief, I don't see your game getting a R rating unless you get your pet project off the ground, Mr killer botham with a cricket bat.:p

Bear in mind that you already have conceptual approval a long way in advance, so they know what to expect: by that stage (which follows your own extensive testing) there shouldn't be too many surprises. So yes it's a risk but, like all matters of games development, it's a calculated one.

Hi cheif.

This is not a dig, but you say you are bug fixing, I was wondering if special attention is being paid to online disconnect bugs the likes of which blighted IC2010. I really enjoyed AC09 online and hope this game doesn't suffer the IC2010 online farce.

Thanks

Hi cheif.

This is not a dig, but you say you are bug fixing, I was wondering if special attention is being paid to online disconnect bugs the likes of which blighted IC2010. I really enjoyed AC09 online and hope this game doesn't suffer the IC2010 online farce.

Thanks

++++

We do know that it won't take longer than 9 weeks for PSN or Xbox approval.

What about the PC version - will it have greater visual options???
Resolution, textures, etc... :D

My point is to get you to think about how a seemingly simple feature has deep implications to overall gameplay, the potential for bugs and imbalance.

So implement a partially complete portion of a wider feature just to say you have it? Instead of looking good it would be the opposite, you inevitably would compare the implementation, not the dot point on the box.

If AC13 does what it does do well, it will overshadow not doing many things. Perhaps the list of things it does do is too short for many*, but if they tried to rush in semi complete features to try and 'compete' they are destined to fail.

Perhaps Big Ant have thought of everything and will get it right the first time - then by all means vote with your wallet and avoid - but both games would have gone through their own development process and their own attempts to find answers to the gameplay mechanic questions that can make or break a game. 'We don't have time to do it right' is just as valid of an answer to a feature question as 'Yes'.

* For what it's worth I agree - I think it's inevitable that AC13 will lack the longevity that EA's games had through domestic cricket/long tours or that Big Ant's will have with the Career mode. Having the better gameplay could make up for some of that - but it may not be enough.

As someone who has followed things closely over the years I can understand how they've gotten to this point, I can understand how much work they will have put in to get this far - but as a consumer I certainly can see why people would look at AC09 vs AC13 and expect 4 years of improvement and feature gains that won't be there.

Something will need to wow here.

Well, after reading your post and thinking about all this stuff, I just feel that building this game is like a double edged sword for trickstar, specially since now they have a strong competition (which I sincerely feel trickstar either did not know about earlier or they just underestimated). Whether to go for enhanced gameplay or whether to add in more features while keeping the same gameplay as IC10, with a few tweaks here and there to iron out the issues faced with IC10. If they go with the second option, the core audience gets miffed at them, however if they go with the first option 'and' have a serious competitor who is dishing out the 'most requested features by the core user community', then their sales mike take a hit.

Let's be realistic here.....cricket gamers on this forum (based on the posts made so far in these forums) hardly form a nano sized percentage of the overall cricket gaming community. And it's not too hard to believe that the remaining population will more or less buy either of these games based on the feature list they have on the back.

An excellent gameplay actually does not cater too well to the feature list printed on the back cover. See AC3's prospective back cover for example. Stating gameplay enhancements like dynamic weather, pitch variation, realistic authentic gameplay.......all these Headings sound like cliches to the gaming community and not some groundbreaking features (even though they are ground breaking in their own right if implemented well). Now compare that to a feature list that states full career mode, manual appeals, drs, the best player creator in cricket game history, share your creations with community, new bowling and batting experience etc. Which game do you think people would buy?

Now why I feel that trickstar did not see such strong competition coming is because if they did, I am pretty sure they would have concentrated on adding a bigger feature list than mere gameplay enhancements. Specially a feature list that people have been requesting for since a looooooooooong time.

Now, I do have a strong gut feeling that the gameplay that we might get in AC13 would be somewhat similar to IC10, but obviously an enhanced version of that. I would be surprised (pleasantly of course) if that is not the case as for trickstar to make this game in the time they did, they had to build upon the knowledge base (plus the programming codes) that they had with IC10. And common sense would state that even if they are using the same code, they cannot say it in public as it would obviously cause copyright issues since some of that intellectual property belonged to the publishers as well.

If they did build everything from scratch, then why did they not factor in the most requested features like manual appeal, career mode etc? Or maybe they did factor it in, but due to strategic reasons, did not implement it in this game so as to keep it for the future versions.

Chief, based on his comments posted in this forum, does seem to be more of a marketing strategy kinda guy (nothing wrong with that)....while Ross (from Bigant) seemed more of a Passionate kinda guy. Now this perception of mine is based only on the posts made by these two gentlemen. Chief always seems to be interested in the marketing strategies etc.,while Ross has been more interested in showing off the game features, telling us about small details in the game, creating and showing off some player cards from his player creator etc. And both these personalities have been consistent with the game design + approach that they have taken in their respective games.

Bigant did have some advantage of having developed a sport based game in RLL2, however trickstar had an even bigger advantage of having developed a cricket game itself. Still one chose to add in all the most requested features in its first game itself (passion), while the other chose to develop just the core gameplay and keep all the requested features for future (marketing strategy).

I really do feel that it is important that both games do well,as then we would have good competition for the next version. But just based on the features list, it does seem like Big Ant would be calling all the shots at least in the casual market out there. This is also just based on the assumption that trickstar would have a way better gameplay than big ant. If that is not the case as well, and if big ant does turn up with an equally detailed or better gameplay, then it does seem like the approach taken by trickstar would dent them bad.

Users who are viewing this thread