Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

(By the by, I'm not convinced 2004 is the best example: wasn't that the one that got an award from somewhere for the worst visuals of that entire generation of games?) :)

No i am not saying 2004 was a good game !! but it had cricketers with different body types which made it more realistic !! (Visually) please please at lest give us more realistic AI field settings ( No long on or long off in the first over of a test match please)

I seriously wonder what they've been doing all this time, omitting one feature after the other. They need to get in some seriously good AI, bat-ball physics and general gameplay to make a mark now.
DRS wasn't much of an issue, but this surely is. When they talk of focussing on gameplay & stuff, yes, player height does affect gameplay (that is if your game engine is capable of it). And, even if the game engine isn't capable of it (which would be pretty sad), at least get it onboard as a cosmetic feature. The casual audience aren't gonna complain about the player height not affecting the the ball's bounce, they just want their players to look as real as possible. And, when we'd see say 6'5" M Morkel bowling to 5'5" Tendulkar, both with same height & physique, it doesn't make it appealing.
Getting over the past now, hope you guys do something about this in the patches or the future versions!

You know what will be really worse? If this game indeed has more than 3 commentators. We have been hearing from the beginning about the lack of time, budget, resources etc for the exclusion of so many important features but yet they got enough budget and time for including more commentators than necessary. That'll just show that they were lazy and didn't cared about including new features because they thought they would have got away with this like they did with their previous game. I don't know if this is their true intentions or not but that's how most people will think. But now with competition, they'll realize how wrong they were (assuming If this was their intended approach). So for the sake of Trickstar and all the people, I seriously hope this game only has 3 commentators but delivers exciting and improved gameplay in many fields. That'll make it for lack of features and people will understand their priories (and right one if it indeed happens). In the end it's always about Quality over quantity, right?

I seriously wonder what they've been doing all this time, omitting one feature after the other. They need to get in some seriously good AI, bat-ball physics and general gameplay to make a mark now.
DRS wasn't much of an issue, but this surely is. When they talk of focussing on gameplay & stuff, yes, player height does affect gameplay (that is if your game engine is capable of it). And, even if the game engine isn't capable of it (which would be pretty sad), at least get it onboard as a cosmetic feature. The casual audience aren't gonna complain about the player height not affecting the the ball's bounce, they just want their players to look as real as possible. And, when we'd see say 6'5" M Morkel bowling to 5'5" Tendulkar, both with same height & physique, it doesn't make it appealing.
Getting over the past now, hope you guys do something about this in the patches or the future versions!

I say, I'll explain the technicalities in a podcast... But yes: the game engine is capable of it in future, but it's a substantial body of work (which, without the other work, has absolutely no benefit whatsoever) which won't be in the initial release.

I say, I'll explain the technicalities in a podcast... But yes: the game engine is capable of it in future, but it's a substantial body of work (which, without the other work, has absolutely no benefit whatsoever) which won't be in the initial release.

so what are we getting with the first release !!!

@Chief
Seriously man just hold back the release until December and add some requested to death features like career mode ,online save ,different players body that actually affect gameplay and terrific AI.
Practically I cant see AC13 beating BigAnt cricket in terms of quality (because may be BigAnt cricket has a far more bigger budget than AC13 as it is Ross's pet project) but given that AC13 might sale well because of the Ashes license but because of the inferior quality (and God forbid if it is broken like IC10) it will damage your reputation badly and 505 might cancel your contract for future releases. Take your time mate , increase the budget , Observe BigAnt cricket release and its feature set and then comeback with a bang in December 2013 :)

Competition is brilliant: both can learn from the other and it drives constant improvement. Even better, it rarely comes at the expense of sales: the 2005 and 2007 sales of both titles didn't seem to cannibalise each other, in the same way the PES and FIFA never really did.
Which means they can co-exist very nicely.

Maybe that's why some thought I came across as "not taking the competition seriously" - It's true, not because I am disrespectful of them, or "didn't see it coming", but because I don't see it as a battle of either/or.

Each game will, I'm sure, have its attractions, and hopefully each will be very successful!

Sure chief, but I hope you realise that once a competitor steps up the level then you must too. Okay maybe it wasn't possible this time, but next time you would need add up a bucket full of working features.
Each game needs to be identical and as you have built a new engine I guess you could spend the next year and a half building a beautiful feature rich game around the solid gameplay.
That would be practical right?

@Chief
Seriously man just hold back the release until December and add some requested to death features like career mode ,online save ,different players body that actually affect gameplay and terrific AI.
Practically I cant see AC13 beating BigAnt cricket in terms of quality (because may be BigAnt cricket has a far more bigger budget than AC13 as it is Ross's pet project) but given that AC13 might sale well because of the Ashes license but because of the inferior quality (and God forbid if it is broken like IC10) it will damage your reputation badly and 505 might cancel your contract for future releases. Take your time mate , increase the budget , Observe BigAnt cricket release and its feature set and then comeback with a bang in December 2013 :)

1) I don't anticipate any notion of "inferior quality".
2) The initial release has always been focused on an Ashes release: that's not to say there won't be updates from then onwards to add things. It's getting to be pretty commonplace now - games as a service rather than a one-shot deal. Assuming all goes to plan there will be lots of additions as we go: I'm only ruling out for you what will not be in the actual box on June 21st.

2) The initial release has always been focused on an Ashes release: that's not to say there won't be updates from then onwards to add things. It's getting to be pretty commonplace now - games as a service rather than a one-shot deal. Assuming all goes to plan there will be lots of additions as we go: I'm only ruling out for you what will not be in the actual box on June 21st.
Do you anticipate those to be paid updates?

Do you anticipate those to be paid updates?

I don't.

----------

If 505 is a fan EA, yes. But as long as they cost very less and offer more, maybe I would pay. But lets see where the game stands after some screenshots and trailers.

Yeah, I agree with this. For me personally, it should be a program of periodic free updates for general improvement etc, and occasional paid updates if a significant pack of extra content.

What??? I leave for 24 hours and everyone is trying to take Chief apart. As much as I disliked Ashes 09 I reckon we should give this new one a fair go. At least these guys are giving us a game, another company decided many years ago to marginalise us and that cricket was not important... Now they can't even keep Simcity online... Karma is a bugger!

Users who are viewing this thread