Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

A great read mate, it's great to see your passion for both these games.
Still don't forget licenses also, ashes is a big license and will give good sale figures while the ashes is on. In the long run I also feel ashes will be overtaken say after 8 months or so.
Going to be a interesting year for cricket in general.:)

Well, after reading your post and thinking about all this stuff, I just feel that building this game is like a double edged sword for trickstar, specially since now they have a strong competition (which I sincerely feel trickstar either did not know about earlier or they just underestimated). Whether to go for enhanced gameplay or whether to add in more features while keeping the same gameplay as IC10, with a few tweaks here and there to iron out the issues faced with IC10. If they go with the second option, the core audience gets miffed at them, however if they go with the first option 'and' have a serious competitor who is dishing out the 'most requested features by the core user community', then their sales mike take a hit.

Let's be realistic here.....cricket gamers on this forum (based on the posts made so far in these forums) hardly form a nano sized percentage of the overall cricket gaming community. And it's not too hard to believe that the remaining population will more or less buy either of these games based on the feature list they have on the back.

An excellent gameplay actually does not cater too well to the feature list printed on the back cover. See AC3's prospective back cover for example. Stating gameplay enhancements like dynamic weather, pitch variation, realistic authentic gameplay.......all these Headings sound like cliches to the gaming community and not some groundbreaking features (even though they are ground breaking in their own right if implemented well). Now compare that to a feature list that states full career mode, manual appeals, drs, the best player creator in cricket game history, share your creations with community, new bowling and batting experience etc. Which game do you think people would buy?

Now why I feel that trickstar did not see such strong competition coming is because if they did, I am pretty sure they would have concentrated on adding a bigger feature list than mere gameplay enhancements. Specially a feature list that people have been requesting for since a looooooooooong time.

Now, I do have a strong gut feeling that the gameplay that we might get in AC13 would be somewhat similar to IC10, but obviously an enhanced version of that. I would be surprised (pleasantly of course) if that is not the case as for trickstar to make this game in the time they did, they had to build upon the knowledge base (plus the programming codes) that they had with IC10. And common sense would state that even if they are using the same code, they cannot say it in public as it would obviously cause copyright issues since some of that intellectual property belonged to the publishers as well.

If they did build everything from scratch, then why did they not factor in the most requested features like manual appeal, career mode etc? Or maybe they did factor it in, but due to strategic reasons, did not implement it in this game so as to keep it for the future versions.

Chief, based on his comments posted in this forum, does seem to be more of a marketing strategy kinda guy (nothing wrong with that)....while Ross (from Bigant) seemed more of a Passionate kinda guy. Now this perception of mine is based only on the posts made by these two gentlemen. Chief always seems to be interested in the marketing strategies etc.,while Ross has been more interested in showing off the game features, telling us about small details in the game, creating and showing off some player cards from his player creator etc. And both these personalities have been consistent with the game design + approach that they have taken in their respective games.

Bigant did have some advantage of having developed a sport based game in RLL2, however trickstar had an even bigger advantage of having developed a cricket game itself. Still one chose to add in all the most requested features in its first game itself (passion), while the other chose to develop just the core gameplay and keep all the requested features for future (marketing strategy).

I really do feel that it is important that both games do well,as then we would have good competition for the next version. But just based on the features list, it does seem like Big Ant would be calling all the shots at least in the casual market out there. This is also just based on the assumption that trickstar would have a way better gameplay than big ant. If that is not the case as well, and if big ant does turn up with an equally detailed or better gameplay, then it does seem like the approach taken by trickstar would dent them bad.

To add what has been said here, I am far more convinced by bigant having better gameplay just by playing a sports game created by them. Whereas playing two cricket title from trickstar I am unable to convince myself to buy ac13.

Chief, based on his comments posted in this forum, does seem to be more of a marketing strategy kinda guy (nothing wrong with that)....while Ross (from Bigant) seemed more of a Passionate kinda guy. Now this perception of mine is based only on the posts made by these two gentlemen. Chief always seems to be interested in the marketing strategies etc.,while Ross has been more interested in showing off the game features, telling us about small details in the game, creating and showing off some player cards from his player creator etc. And both these personalities have been consistent with the game design + approach that they have taken in their respective games.

QUOTE]

This quote sums up my feelings exactly and is why I hope Big Ant's game succeeds massively, because although Chief will probably deny it I think a lot of things have been held back in the past trickstar games (player, kit editors, etc)and some things will also be in AC2013. He has already said it is a marketing strategy to do so in order to ensure future sales on the next edition.

I think Big Ant have said to hell with that lets give these cricket game fans everything they have always wanted in one game and I whole heartedly applaud them for that.

although Chief will probably deny it I think a lot of things have been held back in the past trickstar games (player, kit editors, etc)and some things will also be in AC2013. He has already said it is a marketing strategy to do so in order to ensure future sales on the next edition.

Yeah, I'm probably going to go ahead and deny that: both that I ever said that, and that it's what I think. :D

It's not a question of holding stuff back as some sort of marketing strategy: it's getting maximum value out of what you can achieve with a budget, one that is usually given to you consistent with how many sales an investor think you are able to get. That's not strategy, it's common sense surely?

Yes we have features we'd like to implement if we get to make future versions, but they aren't "held back" in the way you are suggesting.

And the reason I concentrate on those things, btw, is because as the core loyal cricket games fanbase I *want* to try and explain those things, because you might be interested. From experience I know that you won't really be interested in me promising the earth: we can discuss that feedback when you've all played the game!

Yeah, I'm probably going to go ahead and deny that: both that I ever said that, and that it's what I think. :D

It's not a question of holding stuff back as some sort of marketing strategy: it's getting maximum value out of what you can achieve with a budget, one that is usually given to you consistent with how many sales an investor think you are able to get. That's not strategy, it's common sense surely?

Yes we have features we'd like to implement if we get to make future versions, but they aren't "held back" in the way you are suggesting.

And the reason I concentrate on those things, btw, is because as the core loyal cricket games fanbase I *want* to try and explain those things, because you might be interested. From experience I know that you won't really be interested in me promising the earth: we can discuss that feedback when you've all played the game!

I understand the constraints here and as any other fan, I only wish to be proved wrong when we criticize a game. Competition would be great, its natural that one would end up looking better than the other but the real champions would know that this is not the end of the road. If AC13 falls behind BigAnts, they must beat them the next time, with innovation.

I would love to quote a phrase commonly used by commentators, "Fortune favours the brave". All the best Chief. I am waiting for the visuals, and we can start round 2.;)

Chief, come on dude, how many times i need to ask this mate!!! is the cricketers in the game going to have the same body type? i mean its a simple thing to answer!!!!! :(

I understand the constraints here and as any other fan, I only wish to be proved wrong when we criticize a game. Competition would be great, its natural that one would end up looking better than the other but the real champions would know that this is not the end of the road. If AC13 falls behind BigAnts, they must beat them the next time, with innovation.

I would love to quote a phrase commonly used by commentators, "Fortune favours the brave". All the best Chief. I am waiting for the visuals, and we can start round 2.;)

Competition is brilliant: both can learn from the other and it drives constant improvement. Even better, it rarely comes at the expense of sales: the 2005 and 2007 sales of both titles didn't seem to cannibalise each other, in the same way the PES and FIFA never really did.
Which means they can co-exist very nicely.

Maybe that's why some thought I came across as "not taking the competition seriously" - It's true, not because I am disrespectful of them, or "didn't see it coming", but because I don't see it as a battle of either/or.

Each game will, I'm sure, have its attractions, and hopefully each will be very successful!

----------

Chief, come on dude, how many times i need to ask this mate!!! is the cricketers in the game going to have the same body type? i mean its a simple thing to answer!!!!! :(

I do apologise: there's a lot of questions to go through, and I'd been answering a similar one on the other forums so thought I'd dealt with that. No need for *quite* so many exclamation marks though. :)

Currently they all have the same body type, yes. I'm putting together a more detailed explanation of why this is for an upcoming podcast as it's something lots of people have been asking about (in particular player height, which has actual important gameplay implications... and therefore its own set of problems.)

Competition is brilliant: both can learn from the other and it drives constant improvement. Even better, it rarely comes at the expense of sales: the 2005 and 2007 sales of both titles didn't seem to cannibalise each other, in the same way the PES and FIFA never really did.
Which means they can co-exist very nicely.

Maybe that's why some thought I came across as "not taking the competition seriously" - It's true, not because I am disrespectful of them, or "didn't see it coming", but because I don't see it as a battle of either/or.

Each game will, I'm sure, have its attractions, and hopefully each will be very successful!

----------

I do apologise: there's a lot of questions to go through, and I'd been answering a similar one on the other forums so thought I'd dealt with that. No need for *quite* so many exclamation marks though. :)

Currently they all have the same body type, yes. I'm putting together a more detailed explanation of why this is for an upcoming podcast as it's something lots of people have been asking about (in particular player height, which has actual important gameplay implications... and therefore its own set of problems.)

oh dear !!! that's a BIG letdown for me!! sorry to say ! if sachin tendulkar and a 6.4 fast bowler going to look the same!! i don't get it !! we had this in 2004 cricket !! it was so much better visually!! why are we going backwards ??? :mad

Well another feature gone. For the sake of your game Chief, you guys better start showing your good. Too many things missing so far and the good ones are not being revealed. I would hate to see Muhammad Irfan get the same bounce as kumar.

But Chief it shouldn't have been the case for licensed players atleast.
A Joe Root and a James Pattinson having same height , or basically same physical attributes ,except the face. </3

Well not a big deal for me. I guess the change in heights will cause animation issues regarding movement, fielding and gameplay issues regadring bowling (taller bowler throws the ball from higher and hence gets more bounce). All this can cause loads of bugs and glitches. Honestly speaking i would be glad if you can fix the batting and bowling animations with excellent AI, sound and graphics. Getting these spot on is the job half done. Then you can keep adding stuffs in the future versions.

Well not a big deal for me. I guess the change in heights will cause animation issues regarding movement, fielding and gameplay issues regadring bowling (taller bowler throws the ball from higher and hence gets more bounce). All this can cause loads of bugs and glitches. Honestly speaking i would be glad if you can fix the batting and bowling animations with excellent AI, sound and graphics. Getting these spot on is the job half done. Then you can keep adding stuffs in the future versions.

looks like everything's for future !! so what are we getting this time !! lol!! old game with a new cover ?? :D

oh dear !!! that's a BIG letdown for me!! sorry to say ! if sachin tendulkar and a 6.4 fast bowler going to look the same!! i don't get it !! we had this in 2004 cricket !! it was so much better visually!! why are we going backwards ??? :mad

The problem is actually that visuals have moved SO far forwards that where it was possible to fudge things (particularly animation things, which is what this boils down to) in the past, you just can't any more. Fixing these things is expensive, and when you consider that since 2004 development costs have sky-rocketted, whilst the cricket gaming audience hasn't and neither has the RRP... It's tough.
I say, I'll get more technical when I do the podcast.

(By the by, I'm not convinced 2004 is the best example: wasn't that the one that got an award from somewhere for the worst visuals of that entire generation of games?) :)

Users who are viewing this thread