Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Wow! Congratulations to BigAnt and the whole PC community. It's wonderful to see the rights being given to a company that actually understands and loves the game.

I really hope the issues with DBC 17 are fixed with this version. The biggest problem for me with DBC 17 was it's inability to save earned stats. You really can't ignore this aspect of the game as there is no other sport I can think of that relies so heavily on statistics.

Can't wait for November.
All other sports?

Baseball!!

All sports require stats, otherwise why play sport ;) without proper stats no commentator would have anything to talk about!

It all sounds too familiar though. DBC had the same "all new ground breaking this" "never seen before this" and was released in beta state. Sorry for being skeptic but DBC17 burnt so hard
Genuine question - what else would you expect a PR piece to say? It's naturally going to promote the game and hype things up.

I think Kulch makes a valid point for the purpose of managing peoples expectations. I would expect that there will be a lot of 'new' visitors to this forum with the exciting PR campaign that is planned for this game and I think it's fair and constructive to let them know about the issues that previous BigAnt cricket games have launched with.

Personally i think BigAnt have made 2 very good cricket games which have both been let down by very disappointing bugs. At launch i agree that both felt like 'beta' games and it took several patches before I felt like I could enjoy them and get my £50 worth.

I am excited about this game and I think a whole new audience are going to be introduced to the truly excellent things that Bigant have done with their cricket games. I just hope Ross and his team are spending as much on QA as they are on PR.

It all sounds too familiar though. DBC had the same "all new ground breaking this" "never seen before this" and was released in beta state. Sorry for being skeptic but DBC17 burnt so hard

One of the reasons DBC17 suffered from many setbacks is they spent a lot of development resources overhauling the engine from DBC14; it unfortunately took a lot of player feedback to get this big change right - this happens in software development sometimes. I am going to make a guess that they're using the patched up version of DBC17 so you can expect how current DBC17 plays to be the benchmark for this release, plus whatever addition features are added. There will be tweaks to the core gameplay that people won't like by virtue of it being different, and maybe tweaks that are unecessary. Of course, if you're still not happy with DBC17 then fair enough, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it to be more stable and mature due to the fact they've had to do less 'ground-work' this time around and can focus on the hindsight and feedback from DBC17 with the development budget to refine or develop new features.

In short I can understand everyone not wanting to jump on the hype train due to the patchy release of DBC17, but if you currently enjoy DBC17 in its current state, you should expect the same product with general improvements and a handful of new features with a risk that some things might be tweaked against your liking or even removed (but we'll find out more about if that is the case as the press comes through over the coming months).

Let's show some love and support for BA and reserve judgement for the reviews & general consensus once the game is released - if in Novemeber you're not comfortable buying on day one, you don't have to.

Finally I also agree it would be great to have a thread that collates all the media and information around this release without having to pick through lots of pages of replies, maybe a stickied thread with an updated OP would be ace (provided someone is happy to take on that task!)

Does the data also means animations too? would that means brand new animation for this game?

I'm sure that's not what that means. Considering there's only been 10 months since, I'm sure that they have the rights to all the code/engine: it will just be the licensing elements that are no longer there, plus the business stuff behind the scenes. Tru Blu would stay as publishers of DBC and do what they like with the game itself, but the codebase and technology would be reused.

* That DOES mean that here could be brand new animations in the game btw - I'm sure there's loads of additional stuff. Just that they can use DBC as a starting point and would not have had to start from scratch!

Reactions: DAP
That DOES mean that here could be brand new animations in the game btw - I'm sure there's loads of additional stuff. Just that they can use DBC as a starting point and would not have had to start from scratch!

That's (new animations) what I am most excited about. DBC17 had its problems but there were a 'lot' of things that were right in it. Bowling, for example, was a lot more fun than DBC14.

I did feel however that the animations felt a little outdated. I am very excited reading about how there would be new animations and how star players have been mo-capped and will have their own animations. It will take the game to just another level all together!

That's (new animations) what I am most excited about. DBC17 had its problems but there were a 'lot' of things that were right in it. Bowling, for example, was a lot more fun than DBC14.

I did feel however that the animations felt a little outdated. I am very excited reading about how there would be new animations and how star players have been mo-capped and will have their own animations. It will take the game to just another level all together!
Yesterday was watching the England version of Teaser and was playing it slow-mo so many times [because I am crazy] and could see Steve Smith's batting stance animation [That high bat raise, bending knees, taking stump stance and shot played]..

Yesterday was watching the England version of Teaser and was playing it slow-mo so many times [because I am crazy] and could see Steve Smith's batting stance animation [That high bat raise, bending knees, taking stump stance and shot played]..
Yeh saw that myself...looks really promising!

I have one wish and that's to feel dangerous as a fast bowler. DBC 17 lost me as the bowling felt a bit floaty, there was no real carry through to the keeper and very rarely would I feel like I was bowling an unplayable spell as the batsman very rarely played and missed or got out trapped in front LBW.

Even though there were far less edges in DBC14 it still felt a bit more like fast bowling, I'm not sure quite why though.

Another thing which was interesting and which got me interested as well was in that Maxwell mo cap video, you could see the hundred celebration where he was "supposedly" removing helmet and also kissing it.. So that request which we had for long might actually come true..

that there were edges from the AI helped the bowling for DBC17. But DBC14 had that length variation based on release timing, and I always felt the bounce variation based on height was better in 14 too.

they were both good but had big issues that let them down... which is pretty much true of both games to be honest.

Another thing which was interesting and which got me interested as well was in that Maxwell mo cap video, you could see the hundred celebration where he was "supposedly" removing helmet and also kissing it.. So that request which we had for long might actually come true..

You could actually hear the co-ordinator/producer telling Maxwell about the fan favourite most requested animations. So Yeh. ..they Big Ant listened to their fans for sure :)

that there were edges from the AI helped the bowling for DBC17. But DBC14 had that length variation based on release timing, and I always felt the bounce variation based on height was better in 14 too.

they were both good but had big issues that let them down... which is pretty much true of both games to be honest.

The adjustment of length based on the release timing is something I missed too in dbc17. But I can understand how they had to let it go to incorporate the bowling indicator. I personally never had much problem batting in DBC14 without any markers...I always felt if you were watching the ball carefully you knew its line and could play shots without premeditation, so personally I felt a little disappointed with the elimination of the release timing feature....but then it seems the majority of the community felt there should be some kind of a indicator for line and length before the delivery is bowled and thus BA had to listen to them

The adjustment of length based on the release timing is something I missed too in dbc17. But I can understand how they had to let it go to incorporate the bowling indicator. I personally never had much problem batting in DBC14 without any markers...I always felt if you were watching the ball carefully you knew its line and could play shots without premeditation, so personally I felt a little disappointed with the elimination of the release timing feature....but then it seems the majority of the community felt there should be some kind of a indicator for line and length before the delivery is bowled and thus BA had to listen to them
Yeah that wasnt the case with 17 though..

Users who are viewing this thread