Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Anyone know why I can't get custom lineups to stick in career mode? I went through all the county teams altering the starting XI's for each team and format but each time I start a career mode it reverts to something different. Now this isn't a massive issue really...but my pedantic side just really wants to them to more closely reflect more accurate lineups.

Also if I've downloaded and assigned a few bats to England players would I have to restart the whole Ashes series for this to take effect or will they be right when I start the next match?

Thanks in advance.

Please post the stats issue in the "Bug Reporting thread" (link below)...
https://www.planetcricket.org/forum...hread-ps4-xbox-one.109571/page-5#post-3232463

Folks keep on claiming stats are "fixed" when clearly they aren't. Maybe folks' expectations have fallen so low they don't care about incorrect stats but for some of us properly and correctly recorded stats is fundamental to the career mode. I mean what else is there in a career mode as a batsman when the stats (say no. of 100s & 50s) are recorded incorrectly or as a bowler when the best bowling figures shown is wrong? So do post it in the bugs thread.

And I'm tagging @MattW as well to let him know that stats in career mode are still not correct and have not been correct since DBC 14. Surely it's not asking much to have a career mode in a cricket game with correct stats. I mean it has to be the bare minimum for career mode. I've been trying to play a career mode post DBC 14 but can't due to incorrect stats. They were never fixed in DBC 17 and here we are with the same problem in the next iteration of the game as well.

Yea it's not just batting but bowling stats are wrong as well for me after just 1 game. I'm away until Sunday. Will post details when I get back.

Very obvious though that my career stats don't line up after just 1 match. They differ to my earned stats which I reset before starting my career specifically to check stats are working properly.

i wish i knew how you guys were getting decent dismissals. they have disappeared from my game completely. a cut off a spinner caught and deep mid-off! FFS.
Get good. Or get bad.

I just had six caught behind and a caught at gully batting as my England 1993 ODI side. I really think a lot of it comes down to how individuals choose to play. I am constantly looking to play through cover and point and I think this is what cause me to edge so much. They have reduced a little since I've been playing off/on/straight drives a bit more.

I'm hoping the conditions I've picked and my attack of Caddick, Cork, Jarvis, Reeve and Illingworth can produce some interesting dismissals.

Get good. Or get bad.

I just had six caught behind and a caught at gully batting as my England 1993 ODI side. I really think a lot of it comes down to how individuals choose to play. I am constantly looking to play through cover and point and I think this is what cause me to edge so much. They have reduced a little since I've been playing off/on/straight drives a bit more.

I'm hoping the conditions I've picked and my attack of Caddick, Cork, Jarvis, Reeve and Illingworth can produce some interesting dismissals.

Think he meant while bowling!

Get good. Or get bad.

Think he meant while bowling!

@WealeyH / @wasteyouryouth yes i meant bowling.

*** LONG POST KLAXON ***

Here's the thing - let's ignore the pre-release beta: my PC is low-end, i was playing short sessions on low settings etc. and it's not much of a comparison. but i was lucky enough to have early access to ps4, so i had a week of intense playing on "day one" patch v1.03.

it was effing fantastic. really varied dismissals, yes some cheap feeling ones but also plenty of brilliant ones, bowled, lbws, edges, genuine bat pads. most are all will be on my videos. for 8 or 9 days, all was great.

from the moment they pushed out v1.04 (which I never played as I was away that day) and then 1.05 I lost all that immediately. in v1.05 and v1.06 i haven't had a single genuine catch in the keeper / slip / gully area. not a single lbw. not a single bowled. not a single bat pad. EVERY SINGLE DISMISSAL was either a cheap slog to the outfield, a cheap chip to the infield, a catch off the pad, or a catch by a wide slip off a middled cut. not one dismissal where the bowler didn't feel like taking a shower after. within 2 days of 1.05 i had stopped playing. i gave 1.06 a whirl over christmas and it was just as bad. and throughout a terrible AI approach - no accumulation as before, just block or slog.

i've just played another innings after yesterday starting with fresh data - all profile, saves, logos, teams etc. deleted. i downloaded only the 2 teams i'm using in the match. these are 2 teams i played with before doing the data refresh, and got poor results with.

fair to say mixed results. definitely a better AI approach with more accumulation. but still plenty of slogs. on an absolute road in great conditions, the AI (legend, hard) is all out for 219 in 68.1 overs. apart from the tail (8 thru 11 who scored 7,1,0,0*), every batsman scored between 11 and 55.

6 of the cheapest crappest wickets you'd ever wish to see - mindless slogs or chips by set batsman.

i did however get 3 bowled's (1 an inside edge on to off stump by a (low rated) top-order batsman, 1 a well set middle order all rounder having his middle stump taken out driving a full away swinging delivery - a genuinely lovely dismissal, and 1 lower-order bowling all rounder beaten by an inswinger and i think bowled off his pads. I also got a slip catch, not a particularly great one but a reasonable enough top-edged cut by a tailender. also had one genuine lovely edge go to a vacant area, and close one pass the bat and generate the mini-game for a keeper catch but given not out (correctly).

in conclusion - something is not right. it shouldn't be possible to get such a different outcome just by deleting data and starting again.* but putting that aside for a moment, taking this (somewhat better) outcome as the base level of where we are for v1.06 it is still nowhere near as good as 1.03. it's DBC17 with bowled's on legend. 1.03 was so much more.

it is so annoying and dispiriting, that here we are, presumably quite far in to BA's support cycle, and we are not even at square one.

*about the data deletion, different consoles etc. appearing to somehow affect gameplay:

******* CRAZY THEORY KLAXON ********

I wonder if logo or player or save data or something is getting corrupted during the download process when we download and overwrite (e.g. when we get a duplicate player or logo and overwrite). Then during a match the corrupt data is causing some sort of memory issue and the game can't compute a proper value and there's a fallback and it just goes "whatever" and we end up with a slog or something? this could be completely incorrect but i'm scratching my brains for some explanation of why definitely in dbc17 and seemingly in ashes too you'd get bizarre gameplay results and then you'd reset your data and it would be different.

Its good that we are trying to narrow down what is happening. The frustrating thing is that this was the case with dbc17 and the testing phase was rushed and not completed. With Ashes patches were implemented without testing from those they had asked to test the game. There was a magnificent cricket game shortly before release. Somehow someone has allowed it to drift. BA have said they will be focussing on things again soon and that the fact they are selfpublishing means they can get patches out quicker. I still have faith in them and their commitment but in all honesty they need to have a hard hard and honest look at their systems and workstructures because their games are losing quality as series progress instead of gaining. Dbc 14 was an absolute revolution. Two editions later we are left with a feeling of aspects just not being right. A complete overhaul and rethink is needed imo of the undelying mechanics, especially in regard to AI decision making and gameplay implementation. Will it happen? I dont know but i am still keen to help out If i can but they need to take the feedback seriously and communicate more than till now.

This this this x however much you want. Someone at @BigAntStudios needs to take a serious look at how the potential, momentum and enthusiasm this game had has been squandered.

And I repeat what has probably been asked earlier.. Is it as simple as someone flicking a switch back to 1.03? I play many games where you can choose which version you want on Steam. I find the latest version okay though, maybe a flick back to Veteran would get more action for you @blockerdave

Well I had three nice edges to keeper, gully and keeper or first slip from 13 wickets. I had a crash (and lost 2 of the 3 wickets in the first 4 overs) while recording an absolute beauty of a caught behind; David Boon flashy off drive, the ball nipped away and took the edge. I have a side on view if anyone wants to see I can upload it.

Most of the other wickets were stupid lobs up to mid on/off apart from, what I think @blockerdave would describe as an 'oooh moment', when I yorked Matthew Hayden after he'd smashed the previous two balls for sixes. I almost put my fist through the monitor celebrating that one because after getting him out for 6 his second chance he was playing just like the real Hayden. And I'd tried something different with the wicket ball so it at least felt like I'd won the battle.

Apart from Hayden only one of the top 7 get out of double figures and then the Hayden and Julian rallied a little. Can only think this must be maybe to do with balls (there are two new balls at each end in the WC 92 set up I created) getting old or conservative batsmen not being able to function in limited overs matches and just popping up easy catches.

That dig out/block/gobshite shot was played by Batting Style 1/3.

This was the set up I started with.
GTxfyUE.jpg

*Crazy Theory Klaxon* I'm going to start a rival school of thought that it is Sally the Announcer that brings edges.

And I repeat what has probably been asked earlier.. Is it as simple as someone flicking a switch back to 1.03? I play many games where you can choose which version you want on Steam. I find the latest version okay though, maybe a flick back to Veteran would get more action for you @blockerdave

The word from BA is v1.04 thru 1.06 had "essential fixes" and can't be rolled back. My view is that is wrongheaded - an example of the essential fixes is the stumping bug and far from being fixed that was made worse, so a roll back to 1.03 can only improve that.

Re "going back to veteran" I've played all ashes on legend so all the good results I got in v1.03 was legend.

Disappointing to hear the academy has bugged another cricket title. Time for another fresh delete, oh look it's DBC17 all over again. Ground hog day

The word from BA is v1.04 thru 1.06 had "essential fixes" and can't be rolled back. My view is that is wrongheaded - an example of the essential fixes is the stumping bug and far from being fixed that was made worse, so a roll back to 1.03 can only improve that.

Re "going back to veteran" I've played all ashes on legend so all the good results I got in v1.03 was legend.

I don't understand what is going on either to be honest, some matches I get lovely dismissals some I get the same crappy slog shots caught infield or deep. Then a game later the AI are nicking the ball, getting inside edges for 4, nicks going over the slips...I don't understand whats going on. Also when I say I don't get nicks I know in cricket it can happen but not for over a 100+ overs of test cricket.

I also play on Legend only.

Users who are viewing this thread