Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Complete agreement from me that multiple incremental patches would be ideal, although didn't you say in the past that often a new build would fudge up something that had been fixed previously?

Also the reason I wanted to ask @WealeyH some questions is that nothing he posted about his ODI innings looked different from my experience playing them on the current build (of course people like @wasteyouryouth have had a way worse time than me). I've seen totals/scorecards/dismissals exactly like that ones he posted, so I thought I'd ask about some peeves I had and if they were present. He's perfectly within his right to blank me, but it just doesn't fill me with confidence is all I'm saying.

yes it can, but it doesn't mean every build = patch. they know when they've got a stable build and when they haven't. and as tennis shows, incremental patches can be done.

i can almost predict the exact comments from the exact people regarding "negativity" and why not to push incremental patches

yes it can, but it doesn't mean every build = patch. they know when they've got a stable build and when they haven't. and as tennis shows, incremental patches can be done.

i can almost predict the exact comments from the exact people regarding "negativity" and why not to push incremental patches

If I'm not wrong they did push incremental patches for DBC 14 similar to AO and the final build was fantastic considering the context.

I don't see why they can't do it again.

as great a job as the beta guys are doing, there will be something they have missed, or something that looks good at the moment but a greater number of play hours from a greater number of people will throw up an issue. it won't be fixed and people will say "how beta team missed that?". @WealeyH @Dutch @Llewelynf @grkrama and @T.J.Hooker deserve much better than that.

the community deserves better than that too, but we won't get it until we stop buying their games. planning on buying la crosse or ao to "support" BA? don't - fearsome tweak em.

And that's exactly the reason I'm raising the potential concerns I see, coz there's only so much beta folks can do or see and sometimes they simply might miss a few things. We were burnt by the "one big patch to fix all" approach to DBC 17 leading to broken stats and the bat-pad smash. I don't want the same fate to befall Ashes Cricket in terms of edges.

Big Ant aren't taking the incremental patching approach to Ashes cricket similar to AO tennis whereby we can wait for the patch and then highlight the issues we see for them to be fixed. If we don't point out some of the concerns, things will not be addressed in the patch and based on DBC 17 experience may never be addressed at all. My biggest fear is that this patch will be the final patch for Ashes cricket and Big Ant will move to Lacrosse and the AO global launch, and I wouldn't want Ashes Cricket to be left in the worse state than it is now.

Last edited:
If I'm not wrong they did push incremental patches for DBC 14 similar to AO and the final build was fantastic considering the context.

I don't see why they can't do it again.

They pushed incremental on steam. At that point there was a significantly higher cost to console patching than now.

People have a rose-tinted view of dbc14. Without Franco's hack it had major issues - it was just much better than what came before.

They pushed incremental on steam. At that point there was a significantly higher cost to console patching than now.

People have a rose-tinted view of dbc14. Without Franco's hack it had major issues - it was just much better than what came before.

Of course. It was a great achievement when compared to say, Cricket 07. And like I said, considering the context the final build was very decent.

But 4-5 years down the line and 3 iterations into the series, currently Ashes is just an ordinary effort.

But I'm still hoping the patch can lift it to at least Above average state.

There's a good reason why. The AI scored 360/6 off 50 overs in an odi on a good batting track and you were 59/2 with nearly 20 off those as edges. As I've mentioned previously I would be concerned as we might end up going the same way as the "inside edge" (or smashed into the pads) route in DBC 17. Fixing no or less edges shouldn't mean way too many edges and there needs to be a balance in place. That's why I would prefer if we have a better understanding of any sort of co-relation between sliders and edges, coz if there is then users can tailor the gameplay as they deem fit.

Yeah but like I said on my first effort I scored 315.

Edges occur when you play a bad shot?

I don’t get what the issue with that is?

It’s nothing remotely like the inside edge in anyway shape or form??

Complete agreement from me that multiple incremental patches would be ideal, although didn't you say in the past that often a new build would fudge up something that had been fixed previously?

Also the reason I wanted to ask @WealeyH some questions is that nothing he posted about his ODI innings looked any different from my experience playing them on the current build (of course people like @wasteyouryouth have had a way worse time than me). I've seen totals/scorecards/dismissals exactly like the ones he posted, so I thought I'd ask about some peeves I had and if they were present. He's perfectly within his rights to blank me, but it just doesn't exactly fill me with confidence is all I'm saying.

I’m not blanking nor is there any peasant, we better than you mentality...

The prod is still there, if I’m honest I hate the look of it. It was played in levitate fashion enough for me to look past it. I’m already on way to see if it can be taken out.

I can’t say much more than I’m really enjoying what I’m playing and it’s an improvement.

But clearly a lot of other things bug various people, therefore I have no idea what people will like!!

I don't have any issue whatsoever. I simply want to better understand how the modifiers impact the edges. My point is that the batting modifiers (3 or 4) impact the batting difficulty. Thus my initial request was to better understand how that relates to edge frequency coz surely batting difficulty (modifiers/sliders) has to have an impact else what's the point of batting difficulty sliders?

I also explained the rationale for the request, i.e. to tailor the gameplay as per user preference coz my or other users' gameplay experience may not align with OOB one. That's why I would love to understand how the sliders/modifiers affect the edges so I can tweak them post patch if I don't like the gameplay experience. I repeat i didn't ask for an "edge slider" that was made out to be - just a better understanding how the batting sliders work with respect to edges in the patch as I would assume we need to understand it to tweak the sliders.

The prod is still there, if I’m honest I hate the look of it. It was played in levitate fashion enough for me to look past it. I’m already on way to see if it can be taken out.

I can’t say much more than I’m really enjoying what I’m playing and it’s an improvement.

But clearly a lot of other things bug various people, therefore I have no idea what people will like!!

Thanks mate.

Honestly the prod shot and the final ball smash are all I want gone (or at least minimised). I think the only time I have ragequit the game was when I got a final ball prod shot for six lol.

I don't have any issue whatsoever. I simply want to better understand how the modifiers impact the edges. My point is that the batting modifiers (3 or 4) impact the batting difficulty. Thus my initial request was to better understand how that relates to edge frequency coz surely batting difficulty (modifiers/sliders) has to have an impact else what's the point of batting difficulty sliders?

I also explained the rationale for the request, i.e. to tailor the gameplay as per user preference coz my or other users' gameplay experience may not align with OOB one. That's why I would love to understand how the sliders/modifiers affect the edges so I can tweak them post patch if I don't like the gameplay experience. I repeat i didn't ask for an "edge slider" that was made out to be - just a better understanding how the batting sliders work with respect to edges in the patch as I would assume we need to understand it to tweak the sliders.

It’s simple though...

The less window you give your self to time it. The greater chance your edge it?

The small the window for correct footwork the greater chance your edge it?

Want less edges? Make it easier?

Also the reason I wanted to ask @WealeyH some questions is that nothing he posted about his ODI innings looked any different from my experience playing them on the current build (of course people like @wasteyouryouth have had a way worse time than me). I've seen totals/scorecards/dismissals exactly like the ones he posted, so I thought I'd ask about some peeves I had and if they were present. He's perfectly within his rights to blank me, but it just doesn't exactly fill me with confidence is all I'm saying.

If I'm able to take fewer than four wickets in a powerplay it'll be a massive improvement.

Sorry if you mentioned this already @WealeyH, but when batting to make 315, I presume the AI field placements have been fixed (given how this was on top of everyone's list), as are the weird bowling changes (start the innings with a spinner, or give the last over to a spinner)? Extra bonus if the AI didn't keep bowling bowlers who got whacked earlier :)

Let's just get aggressive and brute and conservative mentalities sorted first.

i think it's obvious by now BA will never explain those modifiers. i think its best to ignore them and hammer the default

Users who are viewing this thread