Ashes Cricket General Discussion

The state of games in the past - id honestly be staggered if anyone wouldn’t enjoy what I just played.

Aggressiv cleaver AI
Great dismissals
Variety of shots
The videos you posted of those dismissals and that bowled between the bat , cleaning him up..That definitely was awesome...

The state of games in the past - id honestly be staggered if anyone wouldn’t enjoy what I just played.

Aggressiv cleaver AI
Great dismissals
Variety of shots
Great to hear all this positive stuff. Would love a video of human batting in odi..

Jesus, I think I’m going to halt posting stuff for a bit.

Guys honestly, some of the chat is ridiculous for a patch.

Listen, I bowl a good ball and Marsh drove me into the stands. I bowled a bad ball and he flicked me away.

I bowled another good ball and he worked it for a single. I bowled another good ball and he nicked it for four.

It’s a GAME some of it has to be a lil pre determined. All games are. Fifa is crazily scripted.

Why does there need to be an edge slider? You misstime it or have dodgy foot work and sometimes you nick it. Sometimes you don’t. I don’t see why it has to go into so much detail.

People moaning there’s no edges, now people saying if too many tone it done.

To me it’s ideal, I don’t Edge it if my input is perfect across the board and sometimes I edge it if it’s not right. I don’t then analyse it for half an hour after I press X and get on with the next ball. Either counting my lucky stars that it’s gone for four or disgusted with my self that I’m out.

If that Australia innings had been on TV there were maybe 2-3 times were it didnt look realistic.

Good balls have to be punished the AI needs to be able to smash ALL balls. Otherwise you would just keep bowling that same ball to stop them.

It makes no difference HUD on or off for me. Played too many hours constantly bowling my input is normally always ideal. Before update AI couldn’t get over 150.

It’s a fantastic simulation of cricket at the moment. People just need to enjoy it all. Way to much analysing going on.

@Dutch @Llewelynf help a brother out!!

I would like to believe that the Batting Difficulty decides the ideal timing zone and hence the amount of edges. Isn't that the case?

So I don't understand the need for an edge slider.

Is tg
Jesus, I think I’m going to halt posting stuff for a bit.

Guys honestly, some of the chat is ridiculous for a patch.

Listen, I bowl a good ball and Marsh drove me into the stands. I bowled a bad ball and he flicked me away.

I bowled another good ball and he worked it for a single. I bowled another good ball and he nicked it for four.

It’s a GAME some of it has to be a lil pre determined. All games are. Fifa is crazily scripted.

Why does there need to be an edge slider? You misstime it or have dodgy foot work and sometimes you nick it. Sometimes you don’t. I don’t see why it has to go into so much detail.

To me it’s ideal, I don’t Edge it if my input is perfect across the board and sometimes I edge it if it’s not right. I don’t then analyse it for half an hour after I press X and get on with the next ball. Either counting my lucky stars that it’s gone for four or disgusted with my self that I’m out.

If that Australia innings had been on TV there were maybe 2-3 times were it didnt look realistic.

Good balls have to be punished the AI needs to be able to smash ALL balls. Otherwise you would just keep bowling that same ball to stop them.

It makes no difference HUD on or off for me. Played too many hours constantly bowling my input is normally always ideal. Before update AI couldn’t get over 150.

It’s a fantastic simulation of cricket at the moment. People just need to enjoy it all. Way to much analysing going on.

@Dutch @Llewelynf help a brother out!!
Is there any improvement on AI feild placements

Right but if in FIFA a player was facing 90 degrees away from your goal, plays an animation to kick it towards his own half but the ball flies into your top corner you'd call bullshit. That's what the prod shot looks like to me.

I understand it's a game but I'd rather avoid having it shoved in my face.

Also not a fan of this "under siege by the peasant rabble" attitude but whatever. Why I preferred when @blockerdave was on the beta team because at least I never got the sense he was hiding things to make it appear better that it was. Reminds me a bit of when people were furious at me for posting videos/screenshots of the bat-pad smash problem in DBC17, quite bizarre.

There's a good reason why. The AI scored 360/6 off 50 overs in an odi on a good batting track and you were 59/2 with nearly 20 off those as edges. As I've mentioned previously I would be concerned as we might end up going the same way as the "inside edge" (or smashed into the pads) route in DBC 17. Fixing no or less edges shouldn't mean way too many edges and there needs to be a balance in place. That's why I would prefer if we have a better understanding of any sort of co-relation between sliders and edges, coz if there is then users can tailor the gameplay as they deem fit.

Big Ant have really spoiled us and made us too demanding it seems. It is all BA's fault!

Let me see... 5 years and 3 iterations down the road we are still debating how to nail the basic fundamentals in cricket regarding edges and cricketing shots. So I would have to say a big NO to "Big Ant have really spoiled us and made us too demanding".

Expecting a cricket game to have cricket shots to play out the way they do in the sport and to have edges based on cricketing reasons, and not a function of some random generator, is not being "too demanding". I can understand if we were talking DBC 14 but this is the third iteration of the series for crying out loud!

Last edited:
@WealeyH if I were you I would come back to the beta cave man
People here will never be content that its actually a video game

Right but if in FIFA a player was facing 90 degrees away from your goal, plays an animation to kick it towards his own half but the ball flies into your top corner you'd call bullshit. That's what the prod shot looks like to me.

I understand it's a game but I'd rather avoid having it shoved in my face.

Also not a fan of this "under siege by the peasant rabble" attitude but whatever. Why I preferred when @blockerdave was on the beta team because at least I never got the sense he was hiding things to make it appear better that it was. Reminds me a bit of when people were furious at me for posting videos/screenshots of the bat-pad smash problem in DBC17, quite bizarre.

I think that's unfair on the beta guys. I don't think any of them would hide anything. I understand where they come from in trying to focus on improvements and getting frustrated when people jump to conclusions without having seen what they have seen.

but i think @BigAntStudios are putting the beta guys in an impossible position. it seems apparent that they are taking a "one big patch" approach and it's so wrong-headed as to be depressing. I am as certain as I can be they will be saying "there's so much negativity if we release a patch that hasn't fixed everything we will get trashed". what a load of bollocks. they've created the negativity by turning their back on a community that has generally supported them.

let's take that bat pad smash from dbc17. i made a comment in beta that I was getting bat pad chances missing because the physics of the pad were wrong - the ball died when it hit the pads. Fix that and we'd get bat pads. they did. in the beta, there were some of the smash dismissals, but they were rare and the majority were genuine, excellent bat pads. but there is so much variation here based on player ability, approach etc. that when they released it to the wider community it was a huge, game breaking bug for a number of people. but the process had finished, and it could never be fixed.

as great a job as the beta guys are doing, there will be something they have missed, or something that looks good at the moment but a greater number of play hours from a greater number of people will throw up an issue. it won't be fixed and people will say "how beta team missed that?". @WealeyH @Dutch @Llewelynf @grkrama and @T.J.Hooker deserve much better than that.

the community deserves better than that too, but we won't get it until we stop buying their games. planning on buying la crosse or ao to "support" BA? don't - fearsome tweak em.

we've seen the incremental improvement / feedback in tennis and there's no reason not to do that with cricket beyond appetite. we're low hanging fruit with nowhere to go, so they think we'll just take it, and are broadly right in that assessment, unfortunately. but it won't make a better game.

I think that's unfair on the beta guys. I don't think any of them would hide anything. I understand where they come from in trying to focus on improvements and getting frustrated when people jump to conclusions without having seen what they have seen.

but i think @BigAntStudios are putting the beta guys in an impossible position. it seems apparent that they are taking a "one big patch" approach and it's so wrong-headed as to be depressing. I am as certain as I can be they will be saying "there's so much negativity if we release a patch that hasn't fixed everything we will get trashed". what a load of bollocks. they've created the negativity by turning their back on a community that has generally supported them.

let's take that bat pad smash from dbc17. i made a comment in beta that I was getting bat pad chances missing because the physics of the pad were wrong - the ball died when it hit the pads. Fix that and we'd get bat pads. they did. in the beta, there were some of the smash dismissals, but they were rare and the majority were genuine, excellent bat pads. but there is so much variation here based on player ability, approach etc. that when they released it to the wider community it was a huge, game breaking bug for a number of people. but the process had finished, and it could never be fixed.

as great a job as the beta guys are doing, there will be something they have missed, or something that looks good at the moment but a greater number of play hours from a greater number of people will throw up an issue. it won't be fixed and people will say "how beta team missed that?". @WealeyH @Dutch @Llewelynf @grkrama and @T.J.Hooker deserve much better than that.

the community deserves better than that too, but we won't get it until we stop buying their games. planning on buying la crosse or ao to "support" BA? don't - fearsome tweak em.
Don't say that Ross would be angry ha.Close to 3 months without patch and still we have separate teams for different games.

we've seen the incremental improvement / feedback in tennis and there's no reason not to do that with cricket beyond appetite. we're low hanging fruit with nowhere to go, so they think we'll just take it, and are broadly right in that assessment, unfortunately. but it won't make a better game.

Complete agreement from me that multiple incremental patches would be ideal, although didn't you say in the past that often a new build would fudge up something that had been fixed previously?

Also the reason I wanted to ask @WealeyH some questions is that nothing he posted about his ODI innings looked any different from my experience playing them on the current build (of course people like @wasteyouryouth have had a way worse time than me). I've seen totals/scorecards/dismissals exactly like the ones he posted, so I thought I'd ask about some peeves I had and if they were present. He's perfectly within his rights to blank me, but it just doesn't exactly fill me with confidence is all I'm saying.

Don't say that Ross would be angry ha.Close to 3 months without patch and still we have separate teams for different games.

yeah, i've seen the credits on a number of their games (not AO to be fair), and let's just say there's a lot of overlap between say cricket and rugby.

i've no intention of making ross angry, but equally if my honest opinion did so you you literally couldn't count the number of f-units i don't give about that.

Users who are viewing this thread