4. Hussey
5. Clarke
6. Haddin
7. Watson
8. Johnson
9. Lee
10. Siddle
11. Clark

Not a bad team, would only play Lee is he has his outswing back and that would be pushing it. He probably will have the tour match to prove himself as the IPL doesn't show much.

If McGain plays tomorrow and goes well then I would go

1. Katich
2. Hughes
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Watson
6. Hussey
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Siddle
10. Clark
11. McGain

If we don't play a spinner then as mentioned we need North in the side as Clarke shouldn't be bowling with his back problems and Katich doesn't like bowling. The reason I put Watson at 5 was to see what he can do batting higher and Hussey looks like he has too much pressure on him. Obviously won't happen but that is what I would go with.

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Roy/Dussey
Haddin
Lee
Johnson
Clark
Siddle

:)

I feel aussie team againest england will be:-

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Watson/Norton
Haddin
Lee
Johnson
Clarke
Siddle

Some ground in England, aussie need spin bowler and north can good job spin bowler

Hughes better than Chanderpaul?

Chanderpaul has faced bowlers like Warne, McGrath, Gillespie, Donald, Bond, Clark, Murali, Caddick, Gough, Lee, Kumble, Pollock, Akram, Younis, MacGill, Srinath. The standard of bowlers Hughes will face aren't in the same class.

Chanderpaul has faced bowlers like Warne, McGrath, Gillespie, Donald, Bond, Clark, Murali, Caddick, Gough, Lee, Kumble, Pollock, Akram, Younis, MacGill, Srinath. The standard of bowlers Hughes will face aren't in the same class.

well said Jetty.

Well not only have Kent foisted Amjad Khan on us they're now giving Stuart Clark the perfect preperation for the Ashes and a chance to acclimatise to English conditions.
Thanks lads...

*runs to hide from Kev*

Yeah that's when Chanderpaul averaged in the low 40's. Since they all left world cricket, his average has risen to 50.

Chanderpaul deliberately bats down the order and lets batsman that he is better then bat ahead of him, whilst Hughes opens the batting and does it tough. More credit to Hughes.

Bowlers not in the same class? What about Steyn? Sharma? Southee? Mendis?

Hughes scored twin-hundreds on a dodgy pitch where both Kallis & Smith got cleaned up on, and that was in his 2nd Test Match, as a 20 year old. Not to mention that he was facing a worldclass bowling attack and that he was replacing one of the greatest opening batsman to have played the game.

But anyways, this is what my starting XI would be for the 1st Test in England.

Phillip Hughes
Simon Katich
Ricky Ponting (c)
Michael Hussey
Michael Clarke
Shane Watson
Brad Haddin (wk)
Mitchell Johnson
Peter Siddle
Stuart Clark
Ben Hilfenhaus

Yeah that's when Chanderpaul averaged in the low 40's. Since they all left world cricket, his average has risen to 50.

Chanderpaul deliberately bats down the order and lets batsman that he is better then bat ahead of him, whilst Hughes opens the batting and does it tough. More credit to Hughes.

Bowlers not in the same class? What about Steyn? Sharma? Southee? Mendis?

Sharma?Southee? even for Mendis its too early. not even close to the guys he named.

Chanderpauls average went up after he had a loose bone removed from his foot, not because the bowlers retired. He did fine against all those.

And its no up to Chanderpaul where he bats, since the WI had a weak lower order he was put there to protect from a collapse and because he is good at batting with the tail.

In his career Hughes will never face as much pressure as Chanders did or does atm.

Didn't know there was already an Ashes thread here. Anyway I enjoyed the Ashes 2005 and also the next Ashes, which happened in Australia. McGrath got it right there with his predictions.

Also I've been reading today about the Australian players' issue of playing in counties, especially of Clark. From some point I can understand that ECB's point that they want Australia's main players to be underprepared as much as possible, but on the other hand I want to see the best players facing each other. So there won't be references be made, be like if some certain player wouldn't be injured that would happen.

In that way, of course I am hoping that Lee, Symonds and Clark will play in the Ashes. Maybe Watson and Jaques will come back too. I don't know if Marsh will be selected then if Jaques comes back. The same goes for Hughes. Personally I would to see Bracken playing in a Test team, but I don't think that's going to happen.

England has at least something to cheer about: they will be facing Australia for the first time without Warne and McGrath.

Sharma?Southee? even for Mendis its too early. not even close to the guys he named.
They will be equally as good as the majority of the names listed and they are already better then some of them. IMO, bowling attacks will be allot stronger in the future then what they have been over the past decade.

Dare said:
Chanderpauls average went up after he had a loose bone removed from his foot, not because the bowlers retired. He did fine against all those.
Opening the batting is the hardest position to bat and South Africa is the most difficult country to open the batting in. Really, Hughes couldn't of done it much harder and he not only succeeded by dominated one of the best bowling attacks in world cricket in bowler-friendly conditions.

Dare said:
And its no up to Chanderpaul where he bats, since the WI had a weak lower order he was put there to protect from a collapse and because he is good at batting with the tail.
It's no coicindence that Chanderpaul only started succeeding after all of the quality bowlers in world cricket retired. The fact that he also bats so far down the order only helps his cause.

Dare said:
In his career Hughes will never face as much pressure as Chanders did or does atm.
He already has. The pressure of replacing one of the greatest Opening Batsman ever is more pressure then Chanderpaul has ever faced. Being targetted by the best bowler in the world before your maiden Test match is allot more pressure then Chanderpaul has ever faced.

I could potentially see Hughes overtaking Hayden by the end of his career and Hayden was a way better batsmen then Chanderpaul, so we'll just have to wait and see.

ROFL at Southee being better than Warne, McGrath, Gillespie, Donald, Bond, Clark, Murali, Caddick, Gough, Lee, Kumble, Pollock, Akram, Younis, MacGill and Srinath. He's not even seen as good enough to be picked for his countries XI, with Kyle Mills being picked ahead of him, surely that says enough? Southee had 1 good innings against Australia, getting Hayden out a couple of times, and I'm guessing thats what you're basing that on? Get Hayden out and you're automatically a class bowler.

Also, this is the biggest over-rating of a young player I've ever seen. He's had 2 Tests, and yeh he may have performed remarkably well, but to be rating him higher than Chanderpaul after such a short period of time is just purely laughable. Hughes has made runs against a South African attack that looks a good distance worse than they did in Australia. Steyn's not really found his proper form, Ntini's bowling well today but hasn't really been brilliant so far, Morkel's been completely off his game and Harris is just Harris. I'd say only Kallis is bowling better than he did in Australia, the rest have dropped their game.

Also, New Zealand and England is a far harder place to bat for players from Australia. The tracks in South Africa are very similar to those in Australia. Hughes' test will come in England when it's swinging, then reverse swinging plus the possibility of some seam movement as well. Luckily Middlesex are giving him 6 weeks to get used to the conditions. Twats. I don't think we'd ever see New South Wales giving Kevin Pietersen 6 weeks of practise in Australia before an Ashes series, so why are we letting Clark and Hughes get some form? =/

Users who are viewing this thread