Sri Lanka in England/Netherlands

anakwalajinn

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
s2sschan said:
What is happenning??? Oh Please!
A quality International team thrashed the living daylights out of a bunch of Part-Time Sunday Cricketers. Does that surprise anybody?

Sri Lanka deserves 100% Credit.
I am tired of hearing the "usual English excuses".

Maybe I did overreact a little bit, but I was totally in shock after seing that news on cricinfo!
But Netherlands are not "that bad" team, they have some cool achievements and should not be taken lightly by any team. Tell me the last time a test playing team made 320-350++ against a team like Netherland, Ireland, Bermuda, Scotland yadayada..?
Remember Ireland scoring 292 against Windies and beating them a couple of years back ago...? :rolleyes:

So don't call The Netherlands a "part time sunday cricketer"...! ;)

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Who said 400 wasn't going to be reached again :)
I suspect a few more 400 in the World Cup especially given Zimbabwe would have conceded it against the Kiwis last year.
Congrats to Sri Lanka on getting back the World Record for most runs in an ODI inns.

irottev

School Cricketer
It's a bit silly making this and other matches involving these teams official ODI's. Congrats to Sri Lanka, wow Jaysuria is in the form of his life at 37 years old. What a thrashing. They did bat well though the Dutch, thats a batting performance they can take some pride out of.

anakwalajinn

Club Cricketer
Yeah, especially "Kerzeeve".
WoW, I am starting to get a big fan of him! :D
The same age as me and making 47 in his debut for Holland against Sri Lanka? :):)

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
anakwalajinn said:
Yeah, especially "Kerzeeve".
WoW, I am starting to get a big fan of him! :D
The same age as me and making 47 in his debut for Holland against Sri Lanka? :):)
He was playing for the Netherlands, not for Holland.

That's my pedantic comment for the day.

Sureshot

Executive member
:D

I can be even more pedantic, he was playing for the Nederlands ;)

Or doesn't that count?

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Sureshot said:
:D

I can be even more pedantic, he was playing for the Nederlands ;)

Or doesn't that count?
I was speaking English, in which Netherlands is the correct name for the country.

Just to point out to people that Holland is actually a region in the Netherlands. Using Holland to refer to the whole of the Netherlands is a bit like using England to refer to the whole of the United Kingdom, but I digress.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
andrew_nixon said:
I was speaking English, in which Netherlands is the correct name for the country.

Just to point out to people that Holland is actually a region in the Netherlands. Using Holland to refer to the whole of the Netherlands is a bit like using England to refer to the whole of the United Kingdom, but I digress.

Is there anything you don't know?

wolf

International Cricketer
andrew_nixon said:
Of course they should. They won it fair and square after a series of tournaments involving almost 50 other countries.
But they are not good enough.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
wolf said:
But they are not good enough.
You miss the point of the awarding of temporary ODI status. If they're not good enough to have it, they wouldn't have won it. They have clearly shown that they are one of the top 6 non-test nations, therefore under the rules of the ICC, they get ODI status. If they aren't good enough in 2009, they'll lose it.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Just out of interest, do you really think it's fair to judge a team on the strength of one performance when you consider the following three points:

1. They were playing their first ODI in more than three years.
2. More than half the team had never played an ODI.
3. Their only game against test playing opposition since their last ODI was a rain-abandoned game against Pakistan.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I agree with Andrew, teams like these need more exposure to the international scene, by which I mean playing against test nations. Just last year many people were against Bangladesh keeping their test status on the basis they were terrible. They went on beat Australia and Sri Lanka in ODIs and gave the former a run for their money in a test match.

You can't expect any team to come out and start kicking ass, they need more experience to be able to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread