Sri Lanka in England/Netherlands

anakwalajinn

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
OH MY GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING DOWN THERE IN AMSTERDAM???????? :eek: :eek:
Jeez, I am starting to worry that OD cricket will loose the grip if all teams start scoring 400 runs... :(

pal

International Coach
79/2 from 10 overs. If they hadn't lost two wickets already, I would have allowed them a 1.2% chance of winning the game.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Netherlands 184/6 (32.3 ov)

I think they will be able to avoid the highest loss in runs. Only five more runs needed to that to happen.

cricket doctor

International Cricketer
Srilankans have got their record back. They are really doing well in ODIs now. They can be a threat in next WC if they continue this form. Specially with the kind of pitches that we have seen in WI recently.

Thurya said:
I told you guys, Our people are hunting records.
Congrats to your people then. :D

s2sschan

Club Cricketer
anakwalajinn said:
OH MY GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING DOWN THERE IN AMSTERDAM???????? :eek: :eek:
Jeez, I am starting to worry that OD cricket will loose the grip if all teams start scoring 400 runs... :(

What is happenning??? Oh Please!
A quality International team thrashed the living daylights out of a bunch of Part-Time Sunday Cricketers. Does that surprise anybody?

Thurya said:
I told you guys, Our people are hunting records.

Sri Lanka deserves 100% Credit.
I am tired of hearing the "usual English excuses".

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
cricket doctor said:
I'm still wondering why this series has to be an INTERNATIONAL series? :(
Because the Netherlands have ODI status.

Let's give them credit though, they have scored almost 250 against a test playing nation. Not that long ago they would have been rolled over for under 200. Plus the 16 year old Kervezee, who will have had nowhere near the amount of training a 16 year old in a test playing country would have had, has fallen just short of a half century. Imagine what he'll be able to do in a few years time.

Give them time, this is only their 14th ODI, and their first in more than three years. They need games against the test playing nations, otherwise, how do you think they'll get better? If they keep ODI status at the 2009 ICC Trophy, and they play Sri Lanka again the next time they tour England, the result could well be different.

cricket doctor

International Cricketer
andrew_nixon said:
Because the Netherlands have ODI status.

Let's give them credit though, they have scored almost 250 against a test playing nation. Not that long ago they would have been rolled over for under 200. Plus the 16 year old Kervezee, who will have had nowhere near the amount of training a 16 year old in a test playing country would have had, has fallen just short of a half century. Imagine what he'll be able to do in a few years time.

Give them time, this is only their 14th ODI, and their first in more than three years. They need games against the test playing nations, otherwise, how do you think they'll get better? If they keep ODI status at the 2009 ICC Trophy, and they play Sri Lanka again the next time they tour England, the result could well be different.

Ok that's an encouraging result for them.
but again the point is if they really want to think seriously about their cricket, is their domestic structure competitive enough for that?

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
cricket doctor said:
Ok that's an encouraging result for them.
but again the point is if they really want to think seriously about their cricket, is their domestic structure competitive enough for that?
The Netherlands probably have the best domestic structure in the non-test world after Scotland. One problem they're going to have is that any top player is probably going to end up playing county cricket.

Sureshot

Executive member
s2sschan said:
What is happenning??? Oh Please!
A quality International team thrashed the living daylights out of a bunch of Part-Time Sunday Cricketers. Does that surprise anybody?

Sri Lanka deserves 100% Credit.
I am tired of hearing the "usual English excuses".

I'd hardly call Ten Doeschate a part time sunday cricketer.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
andrew_nixon said:
The Netherlands probably have the best domestic structure in the non-test world after Scotland. One problem they're going to have is that any top player is probably going to end up playing county cricket.

With all these great domestic systems but poor test playing nations due to players leaving for the nearest major country. People must wonder why the minor countries dont still play among themselves, keep their domestic systems but play major nations together in minor continents.

Minor Europe
Minor Asia
Minor Africa
etc...

I know venues will be an issue, but this is just a raw idea

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
manee said:
With all these great domestic systems but poor test playing nations due to players leaving for the nearest major country. People must wonder why the minor countries dont still play among themselves, keep their domestic systems but play major nations together in minor continents.

Minor Europe
Minor Asia
Minor Africa
etc...

I know venues will be an issue, but this is just a raw idea
Ain't gonna work. East Africa/East & Central Africa and West Africa pretty much fell apart due to squabbling about which country gets the most players on the team. The West Indies are the only multi-country team to have remained stable, and even then just barely at times.

Combined teams are fine for one off games, such as the recent Europe v MCC match played in the Netherlands, where the European team featured players from Denmark, Guernsey, Ireland, Netherlands and Scotland, but I can't see them working on a permanant basis. As well as the aforementioned squabbles over selection, you're also going to have linguistic problems. If players can't understand each other, which they won't be able to if there are several languages on the team, they're not going to play well as a team.

Users who are viewing this thread