West Indies in England

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Tbh, Harmison wasn't all that bad a ODI bowler, most judge his ODI career on the last games where he was out of form and technically wrong.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
You will notice that it took Dravid quite a bit to adjust to ODI cricket. And Dravid is a pretty good international cricketer--better than most. I think it is unfair on your part to expect any good test cricketer to be able to adjust into a good ODI cricketer and then label them a 'not good international cricketer' if they fail in the process.

Are Hoggard and Harmison not good international cricketers? How about Vaughan? And Langer?
Langer was a good one-dayer player though. He just really never got a good enough opportunity.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I agree with sohum here. Believe it or not there is a considerable difference in the application and mentality needed for test and one day cricket. In test cricket, patience is the key and usually the more "talented" players succeed in this form of the game. But the one day game doesnt give you as much time to think and choose. You need to be in pace with the game.

West Indies would do well to score between 250-300 in a 50 over game but struggle to make totals above 500 if they were asked to play on. England on the other hand would take their time and get to a high total, but at the same time arent able to maintain a good enough run rate, which is needed in one day internationals.

The West Indies have a lot of these perfect one day players, especially in Bravo and Smith. They might not be the most talented players but are able to do the small things needed in their bowling spells and are get quick runs with the bat, irrespective of how they get them.
I think you miss the mark here, because the Windies were able to defeat England without maintaining a consistently high run rate. In fact at the 40 over mark in both their wins, they were barely over 4 runs an over. They won because they kept wickets in hand and only risked them in the last ten overs, where they were rewarded with more than 100 runs and still had wickets in hand. I felt Runako Morton's innings of 82 n.o. was proof any old stickler can move up into top gear with the backing of a good start and lots of spare wickets to give him confidence. Morton isn't a perfect anything and yet he had his day in the sun.

England consistently collapse under the weight of the pressure they create for themselves. They become too frustrated and it saps their confidence, making them play undisciplined. England don't know if they have a Bravo because there are never any wickets left at the end of the innings for their batsmen to mess around with.

On the other topic, I agree with kersnort, in that good international players should be able to adapt. It's not a proviso of being an international player, but it really shouldn't be impossible. Still, gun to my head, I'd rather have Jayasuriya at the crease than Vaughan. Being able to dominate under different conditions is what makes players great in international cricket, so by extension the player with a greater ability to adapt between long and short games is more useful in my book.

thomasson

School Cricketer
Hello Everyone!

i've just made a compilation about England new hero,
Alastair Cook playing against the west indies(3rd test)!
if you are interested, here are the links:

**LINKS REMOVED - DO NOT POST LINKS TO ILLEGALLY UPLOADED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL**

sammy

Club Cricketer
west indies is just the better team.

England got lucky in the test series ;)

sammy

Club Cricketer
Never was, and never will england have a better team than the west indies.

;)

West indies have so much potential right now, and all the players are young ;)

It won't be pretty in the coming months.

Remember who beat SA in the finals 3 years ago.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
What do you mean England will never have a better team than the West Indies?

What final are you talking about?

pest

School Cricketer
You will notice that it took Dravid quite a bit to adjust to ODI cricket. And Dravid is a pretty good international cricketer--better than most. I think it is unfair on your part to expect any good test cricketer to be able to adjust into a good ODI cricketer and then label them a 'not good international cricketer' if they fail in the process.

Are Hoggard and Harmison not good international cricketers? How about Vaughan? And Langer?

Bit confused with your reply who said anyone was not good. Most top class players can adjust to both forms of the game. Jayasuriya takes to it like a duck to water. Whats with the Harmison Hoggard bit??????????

Oneday cricket is a gimmick even the minnows can win on a given day. Put them in a test side and as you can see with the Bangas absolute rubbish.

Dravid better than most ...hmmm! maybe in your little world. In the bigger picture there are many that can challenge that argument.

Users who are viewing this thread