Australia in England - 2009 Ashes Tour

What will be the result of The Ashes?

• Total voters
5-0 Aussies with 4 test ending in 3 days.

The two teams are the closest they have been for years. Maybe the Australia that had been ravaged by World Series Cricket was the last time England have been so close. Being bowled out for 51 yesterday is not the end of the world. It will mean some necessary changes are finally made. Besides, anyone would have been skittled by the West Indies in that form. I think Shah will come in for Bell definitely. I can't see Cook being dropped although there have been calls for his head. So for the Ashes, 2-1 either way for me. Hopefully England's way!

I also found out the other day I have a ticket for the second day at Edgbaston, as well as the first. :happy

It is not fair to predict the outcome of the whole series based on 51 all out. That was against a West Indies team who were absolutely on fire. Even Australia, certainly with their current crop, would have been destroyed like that if they were out there then. The team will also look different in the Cardiff Test.

It is not fair to predict the outcome of the whole series based on 51 all out. That was against a West Indies team who were absolutely on fire. Even Australia, certainly with their current crop, would have been destroyed like that if they were out there then. The team will also look different in the Cardiff Test.

Don't be silly Lee. No it won't. ;)

The Problem is the men running english cricket are fools the team that faces australia in the ashes will be very similiar to the current one

Australia will win for sure Look at Englands latest result! only 51 in the second innings! pathetic
You cannot base the Ashes verdict on one match surely.
Last time England was were bowled out for 44(?) against the Windies we won the next match. Based on the one match theory you would be saying we will win the Ashes etc

Only England are capable of such collapses. Sadly...

Don't forget we bowled out the Windies for 47 in 2004

Can't really read too much into the 51 against WI, June/July and still a bit away and things can change hugely between now and then, especially when both teams have big series coming up.

Sure be an interesting matchup though, although I'd probably be a scrappy contest between two equally 'poor' sides. The Aussie batting is at its lowest in a long time and especially with the middle order if the likes of Symonds or McDonald play. Any type of swing bowling can run through it. But on the other hand, I really don't rate England's bowling attack. You've only go Panesar (who's a bit out of it at the moment), Sidebottom and Flintoff at international standard. Broad seems to be a sort of a nothing bowler really, can't get lateral movement in the air or off the pitch and doesn't have enough pace to make up for that. He seems pretty innocuous. Anderson from what I've heard and seen seems to a have a bit of ability to swing the rock, but just can't getting any control over it.

Bowling for the Aussies is the same, vastly inexperienced, if Lee plays he'll be woefully out of touch coming off a 6 month layoff, ditto with Clark, so basically our two best bowlers down. Then you have Bollinger who's yet unproven, as with Hilfenhaus and Siddle who needs to get his fitness up before he can cement his spot. Pit this against a misfiring England batting lineup with passengers such as Collingwood, Bell and Strauss and you have an close 2005-esque series.

You're kidding yourself if you honestly believe that. The West Indians were absolutely on fire because you were playing like absolute 'expletive' (no other way to put it really without breaking swearing rules). Australia lost to India and South Africa but don't kid yourself into thinking that we'd lose to the West Indies. We played them over there less than a year ago and won 2-0.

In fact I wouldn't be too confident about you guys changing your team around either, you seem to just recycle the same players over and over again.

People can call this an isolated incident but it's not. Excluding Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, England's batting lineup has been less successful than every test nation bar New Zealand over the past 18 months. They are averaging 35.7 per top 7 batsman at the moment. Moreover, their performance against top 8 test nations in the past 18 months has been the 3rd worst, ahead of NZ and the West Indies, who they were just obliterated by.

Somehow I just can't see their team improving so dramatically in the next few months.

Last edited:
I really believe Australia would have been obliterated by the West Indies if they were batting on Saturday. The Australian team is very poor at the moment, last June they weren't that bad and were reduced to 17 for 5 by the West Indies. Telling you, the Ashes is going to be close again.

I look forward to buying the dvds, like I did for the 2005 Ashes and the 2006/07 Ashes series :D

Edit - I wish they'd release em on blu ray as well lol err I mean the 09 Ahses on blu ray, the older series on dvd is fine lol :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread