Australia in England

What will be outcome of the AshesTest series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Briggsey said:
Couldnt agree more, spot on there mate!

Congrats to the lads for a fantastic effort against the best team in the world, brilliant stuff and surely a stepping stone for greater things in the future! :cheers

One can only hope about that final comment :D

ODI we need to improve though. I would try keep the same squad as tests for ODI, just minor adjustments, maybe bell out for collingwood, thats it for me

Jarryd said:
Series Result Australia 3-1
Man of the Series Shane Warne
General Notes England will be humbled after the first test, Strauss will show himself to be very very good, Warnie will take 25+ wickets, Flintoff will take <10 wickets and <200 runs, McGraths 500th wicket will be Trescothick in the first 10 overs, Harmison will take <15 wickets.

Right on Straussy there, and McGrath, everything else is completely wrong
Flintoff 402 runs, 24 wickets.

Jarryd said:
No arrogance in what I said, realism.

For the past 3-4 series I've heard "We'll win the ashes, this is the best team we've had in years, you'll win but it won't be easy". This is my pre-Ashes comment, my reputation (whats left of it lol) on the line:

England will NOT come within a Bulls Roar of Australia. They'll win the 5th Test, one will be washed out and we'll win the other 3.

Not so close there. Bulls roar? Sorry mate but i think our boys heard it!!

Great stuff, really great!! Top scenes all over the place, must have been incredible to be there! :happy :cheers
I could write so much here rubbing it into the Aussies, but there is such a thing as a bad winner...... ;)

Last edited:
I can remember at the start of the ashes Ian Healy said on the aussie media' england wont even win a test-match in the ashes,' they wont even win the ashes not now or in the next few years, not even close'.

I'd like to see what he as to see now.

WOW
What a rollercoaster this series has been.
I couldnt be happier to see us win back the ashes.
Commiserations to Australia, it took two teams to make this series such a magnificent specatacle.
Great series played in great spirit.

Annihilation66 said:
lol enjoy it m8.

Just wait till you come to India. If u beat us u can have a go at me and i will say that England are the best team in the world.
If beating the best team in the world doesnt make England the best, how does beating a team rated lower than England make us the best?

Reider84 said:
Overall this has probably been the greatest test series I have ever had the chance to see. There has been some great cricket played by both teams and overall it's been played in a good spirit and in a sporting way. Being an englishman I'm obviously pleased w've finally regained it but credit to Australia for how they took defeat.

England:

Marcus Trescothick:
Was highlighted as a big target for the australian bowlers, Mcgrath, Warne etc felt they would be able to get him out easily. Proved critics wrong with some good innings opening the batting against the new ball. Caught well at slip. 8/10

Andrew Strauss:
The way Andrew Strauss has started test cricket is no secret and I feel he's only increased his reputation during this series. A brilliant century and some fantastic catches were the highlights of a succesful series for Andrew. 8/10

Michael Vaughan:
His batting struggled a bit at times but hit a wonderful century. His captaincy has never been doubted, his bowling changes and field placings although unorthadox have been fantastic. 7/10

Ian Bell:
Probably the man that has impressed the least for England, had one good match where he picked up a 50 in both innings. Struggled against Warne and the other Australian bowlers although he did have a few bad decisions. Took some good catches though and I feel is definetly one for the future. 5/10

Kevin Pietersen:
He was the difference in the final test and got us over the finish line with a fantastic maiden test century. Three earlier fifites have showed us his promise and then he went slightly off the boil but made the runs when it really mattered. Catching is a worry which needs to be worked on. Overalla very good series with the bat. 8/10

Andrew Flintoff:
There is little to say that has not been already said. People were aware of his explosive batting which has matured over time. His shot selection is now a lot better and he can time his innings well. Produced some great innings with the bat, highlighted by his century. What has improved in the last year is his bowling. He has the ability to move the ball both ways and is comfortable bowling around the wicket. He troubled all of the Australian batsmen who are some of the best in the world. Was bowling at over 90 miles an hour throughout the series. He caught and fielded well, we'll forget the drop he had yesterday :) 10/10

Geraint Jones:
Had some good knocks with the bat and produced a wonderful partnership with Flintoff. Took some good catches but dropped some very simple ones which suggests to me that it's nerves and not lack of ability. His stumping needs to improve as he is to slow to react but I don't see any one better at the moment and am happy with his contribution. 6/10

Ashley Giles:
Probably England's least glamorous player but we English have been aware for a while of the contribution to the side. His bowling can be frustrating even if is not dangerous at times and has shown food form with the bat. Has dismissed all of Australia's top 8 at some time in the series. 7/10

Matthew Hoggard:
Not required very often earlier on in the series but when the conditions are there for swing then Hoggard is the one they turn to. The slowest of the English seamers so accuracy and swing is important. He didn't disappoint and produced some fine displays and caused a few frustations for Australia with his defensive batting. 7/10

Simon Jones:
Before the series began he was probably the bowler for England you would choose to drop if you had to drop one. He has improved dramatically since he returned from injury and has bowled superbly. His reverse swing caused Australia numerous problems. 9/10

Steve Harmison:
Harmison has been Englands main strike bowler in recent times and tore apart Australia in the first test. However, he has struggled a bit since then with consistency which has seen the rise of some of England's other bowlers. Still a threat and had a decent series with a few useful runs down the order. 7/10

Paul Collingwood:
One of the reasons for Englands success is there consistency in selection. This only changed when Colly was brought in for the injured Simon Jones. Unlucky with the decision in the first innings and held up an end well in the second before being dismissed by the master. 6/10

Australia:

Matthew Hayden:
It's no secret that the openers have struggled. Hayden has been struggling for a year or so, he saved his best for the last test but unfortunately it was all to late and may be nervous about his place in the side. 6/10

Justin Langer:
Like Hayden he has struggled at times but I feel he has battled superbly. He is a short man which England used to their advantage, peppering him with short stuff. I feel he has done okay though and had a great knock in the last test. Still sure of his place in my opinion. 7/10

Ricky Ponting:
Due to the pressure and the struggle his batsmen have faced, Ricky probably produce the innings of the series. However the rest of the time he has struggled and his captaincy has not been brilliant. Warne was probably over bowled despite his brilliance and Ponting seemed to be out of ideas. His highlight will probably be dismissing Vaughan. 6/10

Damien Martyn:
The unluckiest man in the series in my opinion as he was wrongly dismissed a few times. Despite this though he seemed short of form and never seemed like he was going to make a big innings, never saw much of him in the field and is another who may be struggling to keep his place with the likes of Hussey and Symonds around.

Michael Clarke:
Michael has been Australia's best batsmen in the series, producing some good innings and playing the bowling quite well compared to his team mates. He shows good spirit and is a fantastic fielder. I think Michael can be sure of his place of years to come. 8/10

Adam Gilchrist:
The most devastating batsmen in world cricket. He bats at number 7, keeps wicket and averages over 50 at test level. Despite all that he never made a contribution to Australia throughout the tour. This put extra pressure on his wicket keeping and made a few mistakes. This was not a series for wicket keepers. Produced a fantastic catch though in the final test. Due to his own ability and though he has probably been one of the most dissapointing. In my opinion I think he is a fantastic. player and a very good wicked keeper who is just going through a rough patch at the wrong time. Gilchrist will bounce back and his place is not in threat. 5/10

Shane Warne:
The greatest bowler of all time in my opinion and the greatest spin bowler without question. He had caused England constant problems and earns such respect from them as well as the England fans. He plays the game in the right spirit and is a wonderful guy. His batting has been impressive as well during this series and has put some of the top order to shame. It's a pity it's his last test in England and it will be a sad day for cricket when he spins that final ball. I don't think that'll be for a few years yet though! 10/10

Brett Lee:
If the rest of the team had shown the guts, heart and determination of this guy then Australia would probably have been celebrating retaining the ashes a few tests ago. I have great admiration for Brett Lee who has really earnt my respect as well as the English players. His bowling has been fiery and his batting explosive. Everything he dishes out he takes back without complaint. His attitude is faultless and for that he stands out as a true great. Bowling figures could have been slightly better but you can't do everything. 9/10

Glenn McGrath:
Caused England some great problems but I don't feel he was ever at his best after his injury. He will have to eat his words after predicting a 5-0 win for Austrlia. Glenn has bowled well as expected but has not really produced anything out of the ordinary. This however is probably only because of the high standards he has set him self. Who knows what may have happened if he was fully fit for the entire series. Glenn will need to be replace, not yet of course but in a few years where will they find another McGrath?? 7.5/10

Jason Gillespie:
Has really struggled since the start of the tour and there does not seem to be a clear indication as to why. He is a great character and perhaps he can get back to somewhere he was before but at his age he has to be worried. 5/10

Michael Kasprowicz:
I thought he bowled quite well in his rare appearances but is another who is near the end of his career and may struggle to keep his place. 6/10

Shaun Tait:
I think Shaun shows potential and produces some cracking deliveries but at times he will bowl short and wide to often. He needs to develop his line and length stop ball and could be a threat in the next series. Bowled quite well and can be a danger with his reverse swing. Fielding however looked shambolic at times. 6/10

So the end to a wonderful series, without doubt Flintoff being the man of the series for England and Warne for Australia.

Is the tide turning in test cricket? What do you think guys??

Thanks for the comments on this, I agree with your ratings angryangy, you're just a little harsher than me! What does everyone else think about my ratings and comments?

I think England have proved they are one of the best teams in the world without a doubt but I agree they have to retain the ashes in Australia and travel to the sub continent and win there to prove they are the greatest team in the world.

Overall though I feel the standard of test cricket is vastly improving,

kevmead said:
If beating the best team in the world doesnt make England the best, how does beating a team rated lower than England make us the best?

Best team in the world is a big claim.
It takes time to build such a reputation and i think England have a few more hurdles yet before they can claim such a title.
The next few months will give us a big indication with England in Pakistan and India and the Aussies facing a decent South Africa side at home.

JamesyJames3 said:
Im going to say this one more time annihilation....ur a FOOL!

God im ashamed to know ur even a cricket fan.

Well said JamesyJames3, he is a fool, as i said in a previous post lets see what happens by september 12th, and look what has happaned annihilation, we have won.
Just keep on doing the same when we play your true side India and we surly roll u over in that test, just like the aussies. :D

angryangy said:
9: Lee
7: Pietersen
Lee - average of 40. I really don't think he deserves a 9 (irrespective of his batting, which was useful, but nothing more and not what he was selected for).

Pietersen - scored more runs than anybody else. Yeah yeah, dropped catches and that, and I can see where you're coming from but a batting average nearly 10 runs better than anybody else - the only player to average 50.

MagicHat said:
Lee - average of 40. I really don't think he deserves a 9 (irrespective of his batting, which was useful, but nothing more and not what he was selected for).

Pietersen - scored more runs than anybody else. Yeah yeah, dropped catches and that, and I can see where you're coming from but a batting average nearly 10 runs better than anybody else - the only player to average 50.

Lee deserves a 9 magic, he showed heart, and for me had a superb series. He and Warne were the only players that really showed pride throught the series. I dont think his bowling figures show how well he really bowled.

But I agree about Pieterson, angryangy has got that one wrong.

kevmead said:

Probably, he said that due to the fact that beating India in India is a lot more tougher.. but I dont agree with that too! India have given up their 'Tigers at home' status after their defeat to Australia in the 2004 series. They're beatable at home too (being true even though I am an Indian cricket fanatic!).

India away is a very tough series for anyone. As I said earlier, we'll need to beat them, Pakistan twice, SL and Aus away before we can be considered the best.
Don't agree with AA's rating on Collingwood. I thought he got a stinker in the first innings, bowled pretty well without much luck, and batted extremely well during a very difficult period today.

Good on England for winning the Ashes,
it took 16-18 years to do it, now they have to make sure to
not fall into a rut again now that they've got it, it's something
they've tended to do in the past. Even me being an Aussie, I'd like them
to keep it for a couple of more tests, Australia will become better for it,
just like has happened in the past when we've lost it.

I can still take pride in the fact that we are still the World Champions
and therefor #1 in Cricket, we've dominated for over a decade,
this Ashes win for England doesn't make them #1 automatically,
they'll have to beat us next Ashes test and in the World Championships
to take that from us, that is, if India or another country doesn't beat us
both in the next World Champ's, and that may just happen... :o

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread