4-Rohit Sharma/Raina/Manoj Tewary
5-Yuvraj
6-Dhoni{Vice-Captain}{WIcket Keeper}
7-Irfan Pathan
8-Piyush Chawla
9-Harbhajan Singh/Powar
10-Zaheer Khan
11-Yomahesh/Ishant sharma/R.P Singh

Put simply...no. I am not sure why Karthik is in the team on the back of poor ODI performances, especially batting three. Robin Uthappa is a sure fire choice for the team, there should be no question of his place. Why are you dropping Ganguly who averaged 55 in the past year? Fielding is good, but dropping your most consistant batsman is crazy. Perhaps he should not open but dropping him all together is a bit strange.

As for the bowlers, the number 11 spot you chose worries me. You would pick Yo Mahesh who was unimpressive in the India A tri series considering he played Kenya in half the games. Ishant Sharma?!? Mr. No Ball problem? You have to be kidding me.

Now for my thoughts on the back of this article.

The article points to good moves by India. They dropped Sehwag in ODIs, this was the right move because it meant that he had to work on his game and even though the work may not have given any tangible differences, it meant that he now concentrates on his batting more on the crease. Due to his natural power, shots will still go for four, but he seems more alert at the crease. Sehwag should come back to the Indian team because big scores will be needed to beat Australia (especially with India's bowling attack) and so someone who will often fail but will also often score quick fifties is the right move.

It is good that Munaf Patel has been made to work on his game too and will likely not be selected. Again, the changes may not be as tangible (as someone like Pathan) but it may mean that he is more intense in future. He now has direction, clearly, management are upset with his fitness and pace and now he knows he must work on the two. I believe that going to the MRF Pace Foundation should be the second thing he does, the first he should do is maybe get a fitness coach and work on stamina of explosive strength.

I am slightly upset about Rohit Sharma potentially being dropped but he is only 20 years old and I have no doubt that consistant performances will earn him another selection.

I would pick Harbhajan Singh in the team because his fielding and batting are better than Ramesh Powar's (at least in one day games). However, I would go with the rather bold tactic of bowling him at the death or in powerplay overs because of his economical rather than wicket taking bowling which has been successful in keeping the runs down in twenty20s.

Now, onto my favourite performer, Irfan Pathan. I think that it is right that he plays against Australia since he seems to have done all the work he can (for now). However, I feel he should be eased into international cricket and not play all seven ODIs. He is on the road to recovery and I feel that simple match fitness is all he needs now, to get into the routine of bowling overs (rather than alternate balls or long periods of consecutive balls like in the nets) and I feel the pace will gradually return. I hope the swing returns too, he got a few to bounce and come back in in the last two twenty20s and I hope it can continue.

Put simply...no. I am not sure why Karthik is in the team on the back of poor ODI performances, especially batting three. Robin Uthappa is a sure fire choice for the team, there should be no question of his place. Why are you dropping Ganguly who averaged 55 in the past year? Fielding is good, but dropping your most consistant batsman is crazy. Perhaps he should not open but dropping him all together is a bit strange.

As for the bowlers, the number 11 spot you chose worries me. You would pick Yo Mahesh who was unimpressive in the India A tri series considering he played Kenya in half the games. Ishant Sharma?!? Mr. No Ball problem? You have to be kidding me.

Now for my thoughts on the back of this article.

The article points to good moves by India. They dropped Sehwag in ODIs, this was the right move because it meant that he had to work on his game and even though the work may not have given any tangible differences, it meant that he now concentrates on his batting more on the crease. Due to his natural power, shots will still go for four, but he seems more alert at the crease. Sehwag should come back to the Indian team because big scores will be needed to beat Australia (especially with India's bowling attack) and so someone who will often fail but will also often score quick fifties is the right move.

It is good that Munaf Patel has been made to work on his game too and will likely not be selected. Again, the changes may not be as tangible (as someone like Pathan) but it may mean that he is more intense in future. He now has direction, clearly, management are upset with his fitness and pace and now he knows he must work on the two. I believe that going to the MRF Pace Foundation should be the second thing he does, the first he should do is maybe get a fitness coach and work on stamina of explosive strength.

I am slightly upset about Rohit Sharma potentially being dropped but he is only 20 years old and I have no doubt that consistant performances will earn him another selection.

I would pick Harbhajan Singh in the team because his fielding and batting are better than Ramesh Powar's (at least in one day games). However, I would go with the rather bold tactic of bowling him at the death or in powerplay overs because of his economical rather than wicket taking bowling which has been successful in keeping the runs down in twenty20s.

Now, onto my favourite performer, Irfan Pathan. I think that it is right that he plays against Australia since he seems to have done all the work he can (for now). However, I feel he should be eased into international cricket and not play all seven ODIs. He is on the road to recovery and I feel that simple match fitness is all he needs now, to get into the routine of bowling overs (rather than alternate balls or long periods of consecutive balls like in the nets) and I feel the pace will gradually return. I hope the swing returns too, he got a few to bounce and come back in in the last two twenty20s and I hope it can continue.

Tell me how many matches has ganguly won in this period he is going to be exposed against the australian attack.we have to start somewhere its better we start now trusting our young players with sachin to lead them.Yomahesh
may not have had a good series against kenya but he is potentially our best
fast bowler. Ishant sharma should have sorted his no ball problem you cant say with one practise match that he has a real problem.

Dinesh karthick is good technically and utthappa is a opener so i kept it as a option.

Spot on though on patel he has to work on stamina and fitness and build some muscles he is our best fast bowler.

If You Want a Team which is going to compete with the aussies they need to
select these players in batting order

1-Shewag
2-Tendulkar{Captain}
3-Karthick/Utthapa
4-Rohit Sharma/Raina/Manoj Tewary
5-Yuvraj
6-Dhoni{Vice-Captain}{WIcket Keeper}
7-Irfan Pathan
8-Piyush Chawla
9-Harbhajan Singh/Powar
10-Zaheer Khan
11-Yomahesh/Ishant sharma/R.P Singh

I Selected this team with out dravid and ganguly as i think they do not make it in odis if we are looking for a good fielding side and we have to look at the future.Ajit Agarkar has been given billion oppurtunities its better to try somebody with hunger like yomahesh or ishant sharma or vrv singh.Shreesanth is too eratic he needs to concentrate on tests than odis
and playing two spinners is must with one alrounder in pathan

You just cant drop Rahul Dravid. He is still a very good ODI batsman. He had a very good ODI series in England where he had some good scores in the ODI's. Added to that, he must be relieved of captaincy and must be focussing even more on his batting which is a deadly sign for us and a dangerous sign for the opposition. Dravid isnt a bad fielder. He was a very good fielder, and now is still an above average fielder. Since I said we need to play only one of the seniors in the final XI, it shouldnt hurt us much in the fielding department.

None of the new guys will be tried for the Australia and Pakistan series. Its tough to expect new players to perform well in big tournaments. You have to go back to the likes of Kaif and Raina if you want youngsters but at the same time guys who have had the international experience. Zaheer, Sreesanth, RP Singh and Irfan Pathan seem to be the bowlers for me. Agarkar being just a mere backup.

Tait, Johnson and Lee could single handedly destroy India but if India use there itelligence they will just guide the ball around and use Johnsons, Taits and Lees pace and just make the new ball old.

You mean being destroyed:p

Its highly foolish of you to think in india these bowlers will be effective I Think Only bracken is a good bowler Australia have In subcontinental conditions. Tait may have had a good world cup but He is still
inexperienced and lee on sub continent is not special .Johnson is a good prospect though He is Fast medium Not Fast As Lee or Tait But he gets bounce his weakness may be inability to get the ball back in.

You just cant drop Rahul Dravid. He is still a very good ODI batsman. He had a very good ODI series in England where he had some good scores in the ODI's. Added to that, he must be relieved of captaincy and must be focussing even more on his batting which is a deadly sign for us and a dangerous sign for the opposition. Dravid isnt a bad fielder. He was a very good fielder, and now is still an above average fielder. Since I said we need to play only one of the seniors in the final XI, it shouldnt hurt us much in the fielding department.

None of the new guys will be tried for the Australia and Pakistan series. Its tough to expect new players to perform well in big tournaments. You have to go back to the likes of Kaif and Raina if you want youngsters but at the same time guys who have had the international experience. Zaheer, Sreesanth, RP Singh and Irfan Pathan seem to be the bowlers for me. Agarkar being just a mere backup.

Dravid Could walk in to any indian team but i wanted the selectors to try some younsters as they are not getting any chance and just rest him or play him at 3 coming at 5 he is wasting himself.Ajit Agarkar doesnot deserve to be back up also .

Last edited:
Tell me how many matches has ganguly won in this period he is going to be exposed against the australian attack.we have to start somewhere its better we start now trusting our young players with sachin to lead them.

First series back was the West Indies Vs India series. He scored 98 in the first match, that won India the match. Fourth match he scored 68 and put on a hundred partnership for the second wicket. India won that match. Scored 48 in the third ODI against Sri Lanka which was critical in chasing 230.

Against Ireland he scored 73* which was important in chasing Ireland's 171 when Tendulkar fell for 4. 5th ODI against England he put on 116 for the first wicket with Tendulkar which won India the match. Sixth ODI, him and Tendulkar put on 150 for the first wicket which practically won the game for India. Is that enough games?

Yomahesh may not have had a good series against kenya but he is potentially our best fast bowler. Ishant sharma should have sorted his no ball problem you cant say with one practise match that he has a real problem.

What are you basing the rating of Yomahesh on? Ishant Sharma bowled approx. 11 no balls in the first innings against South Africa A.

Spot on though on patel he has to work on stamina and fitness and build some muscles he is our best fast bowler.

Yes. But I don't think he has to build muscles because he showed that he can already bowl 90mph with his frame as it is as he did against England in 2006.

Only thing Munaf has to do is improve his fitness and fielding. His bowling is linked to his fitness, and will improve if he improves his fitness.

But I doubt if he can come back. Lets see. I have lost hope on him.

Tell me how many matches has ganguly won in this period he is going to be exposed against the australian attack.we have to start somewhere its better we start now trusting our young players with sachin to lead them.

I want Ganguly not to be played because we cant have all three seniors playing. But not because he will be exposed or all that. he has had a very good ODI record in the last few matches (in fact ever since he made his fairytale comeback). I know ur anti-Ganguly but its a fact that Ganguly has batting very very well ever since he came back. His technique facing short deliveries has changed (even though he occasionally gets back to his usual ugly style of facing short balls). On Indian subcontinental wickets where the ball doesnt bounce much, Ganguly could be a big asset BUT not really needed.

Last edited:
Only thing Munaf has to do is improve his fitness and fielding. His bowling is linked to his fitness, and will improve if he improves his fitness.

He hasn't bowled one quick ball in a year. This is due to lack of ability not fitness. Surely if he was unfit, he would at least bowl quick for an over or two.

i think that india need to try some of the new guys in twenty20 world cup otherwise what was the point of selecting them. like pathan he was selected in the world cup, he never played.

He hasn't bowled one quick ball in a year. This is due to lack of ability not fitness. Surely if he was unfit, he would at least bowl quick for an over or two.

He has been struggling with injuries he can bowl quick as he has done it he has play more in domestic cricket and get his fitness back and up his stamina levels

First series back was the West Indies Vs India series. He scored 98 in the first match, that won India the match. Fourth match he scored 68 and put on a hundred partnership for the second wicket. India won that match. Scored 48 in the third ODI against Sri Lanka which was critical in chasing 230.

Against Ireland he scored 73* which was important in chasing Ireland's 171 when Tendulkar fell for 4. 5th ODI against England he put on 116 for the first wicket with Tendulkar which won India the match. Sixth ODI, him and Tendulkar put on 150 for the first wicket which practically won the game for India. Is that enough games?

What are you basing the rating of Yomahesh on? Ishant Sharma bowled approx. 11 no balls in the first innings against South Africa A.

Yes. But I don't think he has to build muscles because he showed that he can already bowl 90mph with his frame as it is as he did against England in 2006.

These performances do not make him a certainity in the team he is a poor runner,bad fielder and we have gambhir and utthapa to replace him .He is better for test cricket where he needs to cencentrate.I am also a big fan of him but we have to move on .

Yomahesh and ishant sharma are tall and hit the deck and are sharp about 88miles so its odis they should be able to bowl back of length stuff we have enough swing bowlers.

As munaf grows olders his muscles will develop as with zaheer he will get quicker.

Last edited:
india squad for first three odi's has been selcetd. dhoni is captain

India one-day squad
Mahendra Singh Dhoni (capt) ,Yuvraj Singh (vice-captain), Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, Dinesh Karthik, Gautam Gambhir, Robin Uthappa, Irfan Pathan, Ramesh Powar, Piyush Chawla, RP Singh, Zaheer Khan, Sreesanth, Harbhajan Singh

Courtasy of Cricinfo

Munaf will not grow muscles as he gets older. He's older than 21, he's not longer developing physcially just naturally. It's up to him now to put the hard yards in if he wants to get his fitness sorted.

Dhoni is India's new ODI captain

Dhoni has been selected as captain for both the Australia and Pakistan series. In my opinion, the best decision considering that they were contemplating giving captaincy to Sachin or Saurav. Dhoni is a youngster as far as experience goes, and its a positive move for sure. But Indian captaincy is a bed of thorns and Dhoni has to be very careful. He must not be too aggressive, nor be too mellowed down like Dravid. He has to get the balance right.

Good that Pathan and Bhajji are back. Sehwag should get a chance in the remaining ODi's if he scores in the next two 20-20 games. I again say, the seniors should be rotated and no more than 1 senior (max: 2) should play all the games. Our fielding is very important and it should be considered.

Seeing Australia's recent performance, it gives me optimism that india can beat Australia in this upcoming ODI series provided they perform the same way they did in England (barring the fielding which needs a lift).

this looks like a very good squad for india, lots of toung talent. i will be happy as an indian if irfan pathan manages to rip through the aussies top order at least once with the new ball with deadly swing like he's done magnificently before

It will be a great series.Looking forward to it.7 one dayers and one 20-20 match thats really good.Every series in India is worth watching.

i would like to see some of the new guys also get a chance. like yousuf pathan and rohit sharma etc..

Users who are viewing this thread