• Australia

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Draw/Tie

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll have to Agree with Dirtydog......most teams make the mistyake of picking players before the age, so that they are not at their peak and don't value the place in the team as much as they would if they had been picked a few years round the domestic circuit.

Rangeela said:
1st Test Result

New Zealand 1st Inning 433 (H. Marshall 146, Cumming 74, Astle 74) (McGrath 6/115)
Australia 1st Inning 432 (Katich 118, Gilchrist 121) (Vettori 5/106)
New Zealand 2nd Inning 131 (Warne 5/39, Gillespie 3/38)
Australia 2nd Inning 135/1 (Langer 72*)

Result: Australia won by 9 wickets

Man of the Match: AC Gilchrist

Series: Australia leads the 3-Test series 1-0

058799.jpg

Shane Warne took another five-for as Australia raced to a comprehensive victory at Christchurch

superb win there. :hpraise
warne just cant stop taking wickets.

ZoraxDoom said:
I'll have to Agree with Dirtydog......most teams make the mistyake of picking players before the age, so that they are not at their peak and don't value the place in the team as much as they would if they had been picked a few years round the domestic circuit.

Parthiv Patel is a very good example..he was playing tests before any substantial domestic cricket experience. as it stands it was not a good move for him and for the team.
But age alone can not decide as many players especially from India and Pakistan started on intl. scene in their teens and did well. All comes down to talent and may be bit of luck in th end..

m_vaughan said:
superb win there. :hpraise
warne just cant stop taking wickets.

Things going down and down for NZ. I thought they will be able to draw the test and get some positive after a long series of defeats. but with Aussies even one bad session can get you out of the contest.
Warne closing in on 600 now..looks like it will come in the Ashes.

That test was dissapointing :( NZ got pretty good first inngings score, it was a very good pitch, and against the best bowling attack in the world, we scored a decent total. Then our bowling went great, the Australians looked in big trouble, unfontonatly like always the aussies managed to put on an almost 200 partnership between Katich and Gilchrist. I don't know how they do it, whenever theyre in trouble they always have a batsman come in and get 100's+, this time 2 of them came in at like 6 down. When bowling they always manage to take that vital wicket. Theyre an amazing side.

Second innings wise NZ did very poorly with the bat, just wasn't our day. Warne had another great bowling performance, but he had pleanty of assistance from the pitch which had lots in it, along with 2 poor umpiring decisions for LBW off his bowling which diddn't really matter as the batsmen were tailenders, apart from Vettori, who was and certainly is capable of making a very nice score, he has scored over 130 before and has come off 2 centuries opening the batting for his provincial side.

The aussies of course chased the total with ease, it diddn't help that there was a poor 3rd umpire decision for a catch, but it wouldn;t of made much difference.

All in all, it was a pretty good test, the 4th day was terrible though, it ruined a nice set up for a close and exciting test match. Also the umpiring wasn't the greatest and that is also annoying.

NZ had their debuton O'Brien who got 1 wicket but went for 5 runs an over including a good first few overs and then 2 overs in a row costing 10 runs. Along with Franklin who is a very poor bowler and Martin who started poorly due to not playing much cricket lately. The NZ side just wasn't good enough, and when your facing such a powerful test team, they needed to perform at their very best, all 5 days, no favors were made that we have bowlers including one of the fastest and best fast bowlers in the world and good, reliable and experianced batsmen with injuries.

Now for my opinion, you fail to mention Vettori's 5 wicket bag and 1 wicket in the second innings, the only wicket. If it wasn't for Vettori, we would be absolutly skrewed. Even though I am biased, I must say, his bowling performance in that match was better then Warnes. Yeah im a big fan of Vettori, and im biased. Warne has great back up bowlers he can depend on, Vettori was pretty much all we had for a bowling atack, a debuton, a poor medium/fast pace bowler who was bowling 30kmph balls, with no swing and a very average medium fast bowler who did a reasonably good job. Cairns has reitred from tests, Oram is injured, Bond is on his comeback still, styris who can bowl a bit of medium is almost right with his injury. Its just big problem for us, our bowling. Even if we hadn't collapsed during our 2nd innings the Australians would of been able to get it, whatever the total. And of course Flemming failed again, because we have no second opener, Richardson retiring, Papps injured and Sinclair in poor form.

I honestly hope we can put up a better fight in the next test, I just hate to see a game fall to peices when its just starting to get good.

Why did Richardson quit again? Because he did not have the same passion for international cricket or something? Kinda screwed his country over.

I disagree....
Why play when you have no passion?
It would do the team better to have a mediocre player who has passion rather than a good one who has none.

New Zealand vs Australia - 2nd Test

2nd Test starts on 18th March 2005 at Wellington.

Odds:

New Zealand - 14/1
Draw - 5/2
Australia - 2/5

Betting will be open until 17th March at 21:00 GMT. Bets will be settled when the result of the match is known.

man, aussies just play beautifully no matter what the situation is or who the opposition is..

I think Richardson quit mainly because of his body or something, he was getting old, he still would of had a while in him though, I guess he just couldn't be bothered. We really coulda done with him this season for the Australian and Sri Lankan tests, I actually rekon we have a shot at the Sri Lankan tests, can't wait, shame Murili is out however, was looking forward to seeing him bowl.

Users who are viewing this thread