Australia Team Discussion

sportzcraazy

Banned
Australian team is not strong now. Batting becomes so so weak after the ban of Smith and Warner. Bowling attack is also not impressive as Australian was known for there bowling attack. And as per there current performance they can not think of ICC World Cup 2019.

Prequel

User Title Purchaser
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
I think Australia will be quite competitive this upcoming Ashes. Paine is been doing a splendid job as captain, and has really grew into the role after it being given to him out of nowhere.

The Australians will take quite the confidence out of the Sri Lankan series, and they should. I think it's a solid line up.
England have a terrific bowling attack, with a very handy lower order. England may take some concern with their top order not really firing, but it isn't to be underestimated either.

My Ashes XI -
1. Joe Burns
2. David Warner
3. Usman Khawaja
4. Steve Smith
5. Travis Head
6. Kurtis Patterson
7. Tim Paine (C) (WK)
8. Pat Cummins
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Josh Hazlewood

Reserves -
Will Pucovski
Marcus Harris
Matt Renshaw
Jhye Richardson
Marcus Stoinis

Spickery

PlanetCricket Writing Team
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I think Australia will be quite competitive this upcoming Ashes. Paine is been doing a splendid job as captain, and has really grew into the role after it being given to him out of nowhere.

The Australians will take quite the confidence out of the Sri Lankan series, and they should. I think it's a solid line up.
England have a terrific bowling attack, with a very handy lower order. England may take some concern with their top order not really firing, but it isn't to be underestimated either.

My Ashes XI -
1. Joe Burns
2. David Warner
3. Usman Khawaja
4. Steve Smith
5. Travis Head
6. Kurtis Patterson
7. Tim Paine (C) (WK)
8. Pat Cummins
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Josh Hazlewood

Reserves -
Will Pucovski
Marcus Harris
Matt Renshaw
Jhye Richardson
Marcus Stoinis
I think a lot of people will have the same Ashes XI you have listed. I would have the same team.

I wouldn't have Matt Renshaw in the squad. He can't buy a run at the moment. Probably not a good idea to have Will make his possible debut in an Ashes test. Think I would leave him in Australia and get more shield games into him next season. Glenn Maxwell and Matthew Wade would be my two additions to the squad.

Prequel

User Title Purchaser
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
I think a lot of people will have the same Ashes XI you have listed. I would have the same team.

I wouldn't have Matt Renshaw in the squad. He can't buy a run at the moment. Probably not a good idea to have Will make his possible debut in an Ashes test. Think I would leave him in Australia and get more shield games into him next season. Glenn Maxwell and Matthew Wade would be my two additions to the squad.
Matt Renshaw has proven he can play, and play very well in English conditions, if he gets some form for Kent in county cricket, he'd be a absolute weapon.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Anyone feel Australia truly turned the corner from a likeability perspective, with their recent ODI series win against India? It was probably the first time that I truly felt like "this opposition team deserved their victory". It did not feel like "oh, why the hell did we lose to this team".

I believe this team definitely seem to be turning things around as far as likeability and warmth is concerned. Yet, they fought really hard and kept throwing punches back and eventually won the bout. Wonder what the return of Warner is going to do to them. Let's see! If this likeability trend continues, Australia can capture back their mojo and in fact herald a new era of "winning with respect".

Mitchell

Panel of Selectors
AUS..
Profile Flag
Australia
The Aus A Series will play a massive part in the selection according to coaching stuff

Spickery

PlanetCricket Writing Team
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Matt Renshaw has proven he can play, and play very well in English conditions, if he gets some form for Kent in county cricket, he'd be a absolute weapon.
The key part here being if and even then he may have left it too late.

Marcus Harris is likely to be in the squad. Cameron Bancroft has also been in better form in the Sheffield Shield than Renshaw and Justin Langer is big fan of Bancroft. Renshaw has fallen behind in the logjam of opening batsman we have and he hasn't picked a good time to have a run of terrible scores with the bat.

One reserve opening batsman is all we really need in the squad. I would be very surprised if Renshaw manages to jump the queue to be that one batsman.

Jamie Hunter

School Cricketer
The key part here being if and even then he may have left it too late.

Marcus Harris is likely to be in the squad. Cameron Bancroft has also been in better form in the Sheffield Shield than Renshaw and Justin Langer is big fan of Bancroft. Renshaw has fallen behind in the logjam of opening batsman we have and he hasn't picked a good time to have a run of terrible scores with the bat.

One reserve opening batsman is all we really need in the squad. I would be very surprised if Renshaw manages to jump the queue to be that one batsman.

Agree. No way does Renshaw get the pick.

***Wiljoy

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
Up to the time date on the last letter ( 18/3/19 ) there has been many many letters picking players in their opinions who should be picked to represent Australia in the top six batting order.......THEN...ALL OF A SUDDEN WITH AN ENORMOUS FLASH O LIGHTNING, a miracle happened....LOBU was discovered.
I hope this wont be another flash of lightning we have been given. to me from what I have seen so far,this LOBU finds it very hard to loose his wicket. I have enjoyed every moment he has been at the crease against the Kiwis

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
I am a huge devotee of Australia's baggy greens the unofficial name of the Australian Test cricket team. My first ever live match was at the SCG when we Aussies.. inspired by the legendary Dennis Lillee and his firebrand partner Jeff Thomson annihilated England 4-1 on their 1974/5 tour. I was hooked from the very first ball. That series had so much. Tension, intrique, brutality, ugly sledging and some outstanding cricket. Doug Walters scoring a century in a session at Perth. Only the second batsman after The Don to do so. England captain Mike Deness dropping himself. It also had courage a plenty. No helmets in those days and with Thomson hurlling his javelin like missiles to all parts of the body it was no place for the faint hearted. This was borne out when a portly 41 year old Englishman Colin Cowdrey stood up to the ferocious Aussie assault without any match practice..and actually scored valuable runs. A young Tony Greig playing several lone hands with the ball and the willow.
This was an Ashes for the ages.

Richie

Last edited:

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Can we take a moment to appreciate how absolutely stacked the Aussie Test team is about to be?

On the batting front, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith and Cameron Green (who's basically a baby Kallis) will be the core of that line-up for the best part of the rest of the decade, while Warner can also be there for some time and whichever one of Pucovski, Head and Patterson becomes the long-term option in the remaining batting slot will be more than competent.

Then you've got a bowling attack that has a pace battery of Cummins, Hazlewood, Starc, Pattinson and Richardson, as well as Lyon as spinner. Green can finally be that fourth seamer and take on the 10-20 overs per match workload rather than being a front-line option.

Honestly, it's a good time to be an Aussie fan. Or even just a neutral cricket fan.

:aus: :bat: David Warner
:aus: :bat: Joe Burns (or replacement)
:aus: :bat: Marnus Labuschagne
:aus: :bat: Steve Smith
:aus: :ar: Cameron Green
:aus: :bat: Travis Head (or replacement)
:aus: :wk: Tim Paine :c: (or replacement)
:aus: :bwl: Pat Cummins
:aus: :bwl: Mitchell Starc
:aus: :bwl: Nathan Lyon
:aus: :bwl: Josh Hazlewood

That's a serious team

Bevab

Staff Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Can we take a moment to appreciate how absolutely stacked the Aussie Test team is about to be?

On the batting front, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith and Cameron Green (who's basically a baby Kallis) will be the core of that line-up for the best part of the rest of the decade, while Warner can also be there for some time and whichever one of Pucovski, Head and Patterson becomes the long-term option in the remaining batting slot will be more than competent.

Then you've got a bowling attack that has a pace battery of Cummins, Hazlewood, Starc, Pattinson and Richardson, as well as Lyon as spinner. Green can finally be that fourth seamer and take on the 10-20 overs per match workload rather than being a front-line option.

Honestly, it's a good time to be an Aussie fan. Or even just a neutral cricket fan.

:aus: :bat: David Warner
:aus: :bat: Joe Burns (or replacement)
:aus: :bat: Marnus Labuschagne
:aus: :bat: Steve Smith
:aus: :ar: Cameron Green
:aus: :bat: Travis Head (or replacement)
:aus: :wk: Tim Paine :c: (or replacement)
:aus: :bwl: Pat Cummins
:aus: :bwl: Mitchell Starc
:aus: :bwl: Nathan Lyon
:aus: :bwl: Josh Hazlewood

That's a serious team

I'm expecting Patterson to become an important player in that middle order, he was slightly unfortunate to get injured right after that debut and has ever since watched Wade and Head become regulars. Green's fitness is the biggest issue in that lineup. Burns should be the long term option for the opening slot, has never really got a long run of chances and backing that inferior options like Bancroft and Harris did. This lineup has the potential to be the most dominant side of the next half decade if everyone stays fit.

Users who are viewing this thread