Australia tour of England June-August 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sahil 7

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
wow england they can do really well without kp to :eek: dint thought that aussie will go down in this series that to quiet badly 4-0 :D

Owzat

International Coach
The bowling was the difference in this series. We need a new bowling coach.

I'd agree. Also I think Pietersen's absence helped England as they couldn't look to him for runs, the rest of the order dealing well enough with the aussie bowlers. Bell also had a lot to prove.

It also backed up my belief on pinchhitters, we didn't use one and won the series. We made more of our openers not maybe 10-15 extra and quick runs that might be gained at the cost of an early wicket and risking the opening partnership.

Still that's what now, 10 non-consecutive wins in a row? :D:p

When I heard it had been reduced initially I said (not anywhere to prove, but I know I said it) that they hadn't taken enough overs off and there'd probably be more rain somewhere about the halfway stage - I was not wrong. It would have been better if they'd played 25-27 overs each and not had to muck the game up with artificial targets via D/L. 36 overs off for the loss of 3.5 hours was not nearly enough, but the organisers were probably more worried about having to pay refunds than a good and even game and making sure both sides got 20 overs :mad

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
4-0, England!! Didn't see that coming. Even though, Australia haven't really looked convincing from the last few years, overseas that is and they haven't done too well at home either (ashes 10/11 ;)). Even with all this, I didn't see a white-wash coming. Well done to England though, really well played. However, the real test now starts against South Africa.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
11 wins on the trot at home (neglecting abandoned/tied matches), and 10 overall. :D To hell with the rain though! :|

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
I'm gutted. Right about the weather though.

Ah well, chin up fella. It's not all doom and gloom.

The one positive that I can take from this series is that it gives England momentum to thrash the only other team that I enjoy seeing lose more than the poms :p

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
The one positive that I can take from this series is that it gives England momentum to thrash the only other team that I enjoy seeing lose more than the poms :p

I thought South Africa were the common favorites.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Yeah, that surprises me. Maybe it's just my neck of the woods where they're not so popular, something to do with the unsportsmanlike rugby team perhaps :p

Not to mention the cricket match-fixing.

and providing England with a team capable of winning the Ashes

Last edited:

nelson111

School Cricketer
As a result of the media interest, the ACB privately launched an investigation to determine if any Australian players had been involved with bookmakers.[12] Journalists told officials about speculation that an Australian player was having financial dealings with bookmakers,[11] after Mark Ray of the Sunday Age received an anonymous letter alleging that Waugh and Warne were being paid by a bookmaker for information.[13] Following a private investigation opened by team manager Ian McDonald, Waugh and Warne wrote unsigned handwritten statements on 20 February 1995, acknowledging their involvement.[11] The statements were faxed and sent to Graham Halbish, the CEO of the ACB. Warne and Waugh were called to Sydney for an interview with ACB chairman Alan Crompton at the team hotel, where the Australians had assembled before departing for a tour of the West Indies. The pair admitted their involvement with the bookmaker and were fined A$10,000 and A$8,000 respectively;[11] at the time, these were the highest fines ever imposed on Australian cricketers.[13]

Don't worry, we don't like you either. At least we didn't sweep our little indicretion under the carpet like you. Waugh and Warne were just as guilty as Cronje.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Not guilty enough to be rubbed out though it seems ;) A conversation with a random that turned out to be a bookmaker compared to someone accepting and handing out money over a few years for poor performances. Didn't stop him from being voted the 11th greatest South African of all-time though, a true role model for the nation :thumbs

Owzat

International Coach
Pretty good series for England in terms of performances as well as results...

Bell : 189 runs @ 47.25
Bopara : 182 runs @ 91.00
Trott : 145 runs @ 48.33
Cook : 145 runs @ 36.25
Morgan : 141 runs @ n/a
Kieswetter : 25 runs @ 25.00

noone else batted!

Finn : 8 wkts @ 19.38
Bresnan : 6 wkts @ 25.00
Anderson : 4 wkts @ 27.75
Tredwell : 2 wkts @ 11.50

Bopara : 4 wkts @ 14.25

The only two underachievers were usual stalwarts in..............

Broad : 3 wkts @ 56.00
Swann : 1 wkt @ 74.00

and.........

Dernbach : 0/59
Patel : 0/36

Bell, Cook and Trott make a decent top three and provide a decent platform. If Bopara and Morgan can continue with decent form and maybe we find an all-rounder who can bat 6-7 and be a bit more consistent than Patel we might have a stab at the World Cup. If we insist on picking Test players then a side containing Bell, Cook, Trott, Bopara, Morgan, wicket-keeper, ?, Broad, Swann, Bresnan and Anderson is capable enough, batting more than deep enough and having 3-4 decent bowlers.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Derbyshire today

Pattinson out of the squad due to the injury he sustained in the 5th ODI. He will train with Victoria for the next month and hopefully be fit in time for the UAE. His replacement is Nathan Coulter-Nile.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Klinger's out for 25, and Cowan and Forrest are starting to form a partnership.

I wonder if the selectors are thinking they should have had Hughes or Khawaja in this team. They've had a few chances I know, but a top 4 of Cowan, Klinger, Forrest and Bailey seems like a fairly, uh, talentless group? That's VERY harsh, but I can't see any of those 4 becoming stars in Test cricket. Could be solid contributors, but Australia needs a little more than that I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread