Australia tour of New Zealand 2010

I remember an ODI back a while at Eden Park where Tuffey had a shocker of a first over. I think he only ended up bowling 2 overs in the game.

I remember that haha. He's a much more accurate bowler now. I think even then he was pretty accurate, just had a real off day.

Sucks for McKay that he's injured. Arnel I guess might get a run.

Sometimes i wonder if NZ fast-bowlers are cursed with some injury demon. From Simon Doull to McKay it always the same thing, must be a headache being a NZ supporter.

Sometimes i wonder if NZ fast-bowlers are cursed with some injury demon. From Simon Doull to McKay it always the same thing, must be a headache being a NZ supporter.

One wonders if they should look to study why this seems to be happening. You could make a lot of money if you found the answer.

Howsie added 0 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

Has NZ ever put their best fast bowling attack on the park in the last 20 years?

Not for a sustained period, that's for sure.

Howsie added 4 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

Probably managed it when Bond was fit. McKay plus Bond would have been an awesome site for Kiwi fans.

Nah, would of been an awesome site for Australian fans, McKay is average. He's never done anything of note in domestic cricket, heck he couldn't even make the Auckland team last year. What would be an awesome site for Kiwi fans is Mitchell McClenaghan, Trent Boult and Hamish Bennett all fit and ready to go. If anyone one of them was fit this season they would of got the nod over McKay as they're all quicker then him, with McClenaghan and Boult both being left armers to.

Has NZ ever put their best fast bowling attack on the park in the last 20 years?

For test off my head i remember the NZ attack that won in England 1999 was full-strenght.

Plus as poster aussie1st said, also when Bond was playing.

War added 4 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

One wonders if they should look to study why this seems to be happening. You could make a lot of money if you found the answer.

I once heard, that i has something to do with the fact that NZ bowlers (fast bowlers especially) train on concrete surfaces or something for long periods during the off-season?. So when the cricket season comes around & they have to play on turf, the body tends to react poorly to the transition.

But im not sure about this..

For test off my head i remember the NZ attack that won in England 1999 was full-strenght.

Plus as poster aussie1st said, also when Bond was playing.

I'm pretty sure Simon Doull got injured some point during that tour, after the second test I believe. Geoff Allott may have also.

Howsie added 5 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

I once heard, that i has something to do with the fact that NZ bowlers (fast bowlers especially) train on concrete surfaces or something for long periods during the off-season?. So when the cricket season comes around & they have to play on turf, the body tends to react poorly to the transition.

But im not sure about this..

That's the theory, although not everyone agrees with it. Personally I do agree with it in some respects, but I also think playing 17/18/19 year olds in FC cricket and running them into the dirt has played apart in the past. I know ND's current coach Grant Bradburn is very weary of doing that and is giving the young bowlers in his squad time to develop before throwing them into domestic cricket.

Yeah, unless they're physically exceptional, it would be tough for a young player to jump from 1 and 2 day matches straight into 4 day games. That's where the domestic second XIs are important. I look at Josh Hazlewood and think "you couldn't do this if you weren't a freakish manchild".

Much like Tim Southee who played a lot of first-class cricket at 18 and then 19 but like Hazelwood was a very big lad at that age. Compare him to Trent Boult, his under 19 opening partner who at 19 would not have been any bigger then 75kg's and after playing pretty much a full season of first-class cricket from September to March 08-09 suffered some pretty serious back problems. Expecting a kid who is one year removed from highschool to get through that much work at his size was insane.

He almost done it alone back in 2003 WC.
He took like six wickets for not many, before the whole team folded around him...

Users who are viewing this thread