Australia tour of New Zealand 2010

Oh and forgot to mention last NZ tour they wanted Shane Watson to be the 14th guy, but Watson was injured (:p) during the previous ODI series. So they never bothered forcing another guy they didn't want into the 14 man squad and stuck with 13.

And I personally hope they don't carry an out of form North to NZ. To me he's just not good enough to be a baggage player. I'd rather have to carry a guy with more potential eg. Phil Hughes.

Last edited:
I agree, North seems out of sorts atm and he hasn't been bowling which is one of the main reasons he got in over guys like David Hussey. But our selectors are so easy to read and its obvious they will stick by him.

I'm thinking this team will go, and possibly Hilfy/McKay, Hughes and Steven Smith.

Chances are North will go, but if he doesn't who will be the other batsman they chuck in?

Given that Australia has mostly performed well and are winning this summer, I agree that North's chance of being dropped is small. Selectors only like to make changes if the incumbent is returning from injury or the team is losing. Neither is happening for North. The incumbent was Symonds (or Watson), and the only guy that 'deserves' a spot ahead of North is possibly Hughes, but North now has the seniority edge over Hughes. Doesn't mean I'd keep North, but I think he'd have to injure himself to miss the NZ tour. Selectors are pretty loyal blokes.

If they surprise me and drop him, I'd pick Cameron White as the replacement, but I'm not set on him. Any batsman who catches fire over the rest of the Shield season would be the best shot. Maybe Cosgrove or Khawaja and Hughes of course. Steve Smith is the sexy pick, but the sexy pick doesn't mean it's the best pick. I'd still pick Smith for the 14th man 'apprenticeship' spot in the squad - like Watson was supposed to be for the last NZ tour, but I wouldn't be relying on him at our best #6 option at this stage.

I still reckon Jon Holland deserves a place more than Smith. A much better bowler IMO.

Unfortunately he's not blonde or a leggie or from NSW.

Holland is just a bowler though, we don't need another spinner in NZ. Smith fills both spots more the batting but the selectors seem to like him as backup to Hauritz so whatever floats their boat I guess.

Fair enough, I suppose. Chances are that we'll actually end up taking just 13 players to NZ, it's only two test matches.

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
North
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Siddle
Bollinger
Hughes
S Smith

Almost definitely it. If we take 14, McKay or perhaps Hilfy will come in.

If Hilfy is fit he will definitely come in. We would definitely take a reverse paceman over just in case someone gets injured before the match.

So 14 then? Yeah, Hilfy would definitely be the first choice, but how is his injury going?

Gazza_11 added 0 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

I'm thinking, if North doesn't perform in the First Test Hughes will play, or someone will fly over.

Looking forward to this tour, we'll get smashed, but I reckon we'll see a few young guys perform.

I can see our lefties finding it difficult against NZ bowlers, who tend to swing it away from lefties but keep it straight to the righties. I am excited because North will be dropped hopefully after the 1st Test. :laugh

I can see guys like Elliot and Guptil performing, I don't know they just like our bowling.

I can see our bowlers finding it diffucult to remove NZ's lefty batsmen. It would be interesting for someone to find our bowling average against left handers compared to right handers in the last year. Probably all Johnson's fault :p

I can see a lot of things ;)

Apparently Hilfy won't be ok for the ODI's but ok hopefully for the tests.

Jesse Ryder will dominate you guys. Ross Taylor to absolutely annihilate Hauritz.

Waugh believes Marcus North, who managed just 41 runs at 10.25 in four innings against Pakistan, is only a "50-50 chance" to make the trip across the Tasman.

"I think the selectors might pull a rabbit out of their hat ... Steve Smith is a darkhorse who is worth a gamble," Waugh said.

"He's got this freakish talent, Steve Smith, whether it's with the ball, in the field, with the bat.

"I've got a sneaking suspicion he could go very close to making that tour."

Waugh's former Australia teammate Greg Blewett disagreed, citing Smith's inexperience as a big risk for a team who only have four more Tests - two against New Zealand, and two against Pakistan in England, starting in July - to prepare for the Ashes.

"I don't see him as a top six in the Australia side. I want to see good, hard stats at first-class level," Blewett said.

"If you are talking about a five or six, (Callum) Ferguson needs to come into it - he was very close before he got injured."

Ashes puzzle nearing completion - Australia - Fox Sports

No surprises for guessing which state Blewie and Waugh support!

John Benaud also calling for Smith to come in at 6.

Sack North, select Smith: Benaud - Australia - Fox Sports

Users who are viewing this thread