Australia tour of New Zealand 2010

Are you guys ever going to push Johnson up the order, I would say Haddin is a good enough test player to bat at six, then bat Johnson seven and play another bowler.

Smith shouldnt be selected. I guess they get the experience if they go with White, but I dont see either happening. If they are only going to give North 1 test then why take him? No Aussie player has been dropped quickly after one bad test in a tour. I think they'll give him both tests regardless. Plus they go to England after that where North had great success, and it will be early England too so lots of overly swinging seaming conditions, North is best equipped to deal with that. Last year the WI had zero idea how to handle those conditions in May/June in England. A Makeshift number 6 is not the answer, back the guy who is a proven performer, until someone else has compelling figures to force his way in, which aint happening yet.

Are you guys ever going to push Johnson up the order, I would say Haddin is a good enough test player to bat at six, then bat Johnson seven and play another bowler.

Given how hes gone of late plus the fact Watson is probably in our top 3 bowlers already, we don't really need Johnson moving up the order.

White, White, White :happy:banana2:happy:banana2

You racist! :p

I still think Cameron White is the man. He's one of those players who seems to lift their performance at International level, as we saw last winter. He's set for a long stay in the team, has played some stunning FC knocks in the past. (ask and I'll name them), bowls some handy leg spin, is an excellent fielder anywhere, even in the slips, is a great leader and showed his maturity in England, South Africa and India in the ODI's.

Maybe it's just me, but I see so much potential there in Cameron White, that just has to be used. It can't hurt to give him a go? Surely it's a better option than rushing Smith into the team.

This tour can't come soon enough I think both teams are tired of their current opposition.

Tests
After the injury to Peter Siddle, we're going to see a quirky pace attack for the second 'after summer' tour in two years. Johnson and Bollinger will keep their spots, and McKay should come in.

It'll be interesting to see who is the fourth fast bowler we take. Ryan Harris will fancy his chances in swing friendly New Zealand, while Cutting, George and Hastings and have been the best bowlers in the Sheffield Shield.

I'm expecting Steven Smith to get a ticket, as he can play as a replacement spinner, or slot into the batting order. And Phillip Hughes will most definitely get a berth as the substitute batsman.

The debate is, does Marcus North go to New Zealand? Our 'golden retriever' selectors will probably send him along, and to England, and for the Ashes, etc.

But if he doesn't go, expect Klinger, Cowan or White to take that Number 6 spot.

Last edited:
The bowler I am most concerned with is Tait for whatever reason our guys don't deal with express pace all that well. I just hope hes limited to playing the T20's only or better yet gets injured before the tour starts. :p

I reckon a few of these other aussie bowlers are over hyped and will be brought back down to earth much like Johnson was on his last visit here. I don't expect Harris, Mckay and Bollinger to be leaving with sub 20 averages should they be on the tour.

Anyway I suspect the Australian selectors might lean towards bigger hitters when it comes to picking the fringe spots for the limited over sides just about all the grounds they will be playing at have small boundaries where a half decent hit or even sometimes a mishit will go for six.

As for New Zealand's team Bond will be back for sure Mills and Ryder are still going to be out. Big question marks over Elliott other than that I don't expect huge changes from the current squad. Kane Williamson might be a bolter the guy is averaging around about 60 in OD cricket and has scored 50+ in his last 5 innings two of which were century's.

Last edited:
Hopefully Hilfy is ready for the tour, would like to see him back in action. McKay pretty much is a shoe in for the spot, Harris with his awesome ODI performance and experience against International oppositions should mean he gets the gig over the other guys.

North was dropped on 0 and only made 29 so the pressure continues on him.

As for NZ, their McKay might be worth a shot, I heard he clocked 147km/h last match which is getting near Johnson territory.

Ideal XI for tests
1.Watson
2.Katich
3.Ponting
4.M.Hussey
5.Clarke
6.Cowan/Klinger/White/whoever else that's in perfect form
7.Haddin
8.Hauritz (I'd much rather see Steve Smith though)
9.Johnson
10.McKay/Harris/Bollinger
11.Hilfenhaus

Well McKay said until the Napier ODI on Friday he'd never been radared before and was confindent he'd bowled a lot faster this season for Wellington then what he did during the first ODI (where he hit 147K). Vettori's come out and said he's as quick if not quicker then Shane Bond so that tell's you he has wheels.

What impresses me most about him is the swing he get's back into the right hander, it's very looping like. He was getting reverse swing on Monday also so he looks like a real prospect.

Kane Williamson might get talked up by a few people as a possible inclusion for the one day series but I just can't see our selectors picking a 19 year old batsmen to play Australia. He's been playing domestic cricket for three seasons now and was one of the leading run scorers last year in both forms of the game, but this season he has just unleashed for ND in one day cricket.

He has a career average of 58 but this year he's averaging a cool 93.4 with two 100's and three 50's (which have all come since being moved up to three and in his last five innings, 71, 107*, 77, 108* and 81). Would love to see him play but it's probably not going to happen.

If Hilfy isn't fit, I would like to see Hazlewood in the squad :upray

Both McKay and Harris would get eaten alive by NZ.

Users who are viewing this thread