Australia tour of New Zealand 2010

Well we really need to pick swing bowlers. Aparently Copeland can swing it a lot? If he keeps up his form, why not put him in. I think the squad needs to be picked by form as far as the 'non-regulars' are concerned. I a bloke gets three tons in three matches before this and is seeing them like beach balls, I rather select him even though he may not have even been on the rader over a player who's coming of some bad form.

Hazlewood was awesome in the U19 WC and he really looks like a future Test bowler. These are the type of moments where we need to punt with a youngster.

John Hastings or Cutting have to come first. They take key wickets, do it cheap, and Hastings can bat.

Hazlewood was awesome in the U19 WC and he really looks like a future Test bowler. These are the type of moments where we need to punt with a youngster.

Why? Tim Southee was the best fast bowler at the last under 19 world cup and have a look at his career so far. You have to allow young bowlers time to develop and learn their trade, there is no point in rushing Hazlewood into test cricket.

Why? Tim Southee was the best fast bowler at the last under 19 world cup and have a look at his career so far. You have to allow young bowlers time to develop and learn their trade, there is no point in rushing Hazlewood into test cricket.

I am trying to justify his inclusion in the squad for NZ, as the U19 was in NZ.

Hope Hilditch & Co are reading this forum :upray

I cant see the test team being changed too much, its pretty simple for us with selection. North will be selected. Bowling lineup picks itself , Johnson, Bollinger, Hauritz, with either Harris or McKay. No room for any other players. Only contentious spots are no 6 and the 3rd seamer, cant see any other guys being picked over Harris or McKay who have performed AMAZINGLY for Australia this season. Shoer tours like to NZ have no warm up games so waste of time picking young players. Hazelwood is not a chance in a million years to be picked yet, he has done not a lot for NSW.

Looks like Jimmy Franklin is a certainty to play this series batting at 5. We might as well start one down really.

Its going to be a bloody tough task as it stands without a player like Franklin being included...can we really do no better then him? Thats pretty sad for NZ Cricket

If Hilfy isn't fit, I would like to see Hazlewood in the squad :upray

Both McKay and Harris would get eaten alive by NZ.

Yes, that all powerful Kiwi batting :laugh - Nice to wake up with a good laugh

Well we really need to pick swing bowlers. Aparently Copeland can swing it a lot? If he keeps up his form, why not put him in. I think the squad needs to be picked by form as far as the 'non-regulars' are concerned. I a bloke gets three tons in three matches before this and is seeing them like beach balls, I rather select him even though he may not have even been on the rader over a player who's coming of some bad form.

Copeland? Gosh, the man has had ONE good game. Actually ONE game fullstop. I'm in great form too, retired at 40 in my last game but I'm not gonna get picked. They will want guys that have heaps of talent who can play a role for a while eg. Hazlewood or they will pick veterans who will fit into the attack well and have Ponting's trust eg. Harris/McKay. I don't think Copeland's in either category. He's got talent, but not the level that Hazlewood or even Starc has.

Either way, they won't be picking guys who are in bad form unless his name is Marcus.

Looks like Jimmy Franklin is a certainty to play this series batting at 5. We might as well start one down really.

Its going to be a bloody tough task as it stands without a player like Franklin being included...can we really do no better then him? Thats pretty sad for NZ Cricket

Just did a check on Franklin's ODI batting stats since he has come back from injury hes averaging 42.50 at a strike rate of 81.73. Granted a couple of not outs helped that but its far to early to say he can't do the job at five.

The test squad against Bangladesh has been announced without him though so I wouldn't say he is a certain selection anyway.

Last edited:
Well, we might. For the coming test series our only "test class" batsmen will be Daniel Vettori, Ross Taylor and sort of Brendon McCullum (if you're talking keepers). Everyone else stinks (Tim McIntosh) or hasn't done anything at the test level yet (Watling, Guptill, Broom)

I think your bowlers will be alright.

It might be a different story in the one dayers though, we probably do have a better batting line-up then Pakistan and the West Indies.

Just did a check on Franklin's ODI batting stats since he has come back from injury hes averaging 42.50 at a strike rate of 81.73. Granted a couple of not outs helped that but its far to early to say he can't do the job at five.

The test squad against Bangladesh has been announced without him though so I wouldn't say he is a certain selection anyway.

Ari, being wrong about this would make me very very happy

Kiwi_Jimmy added 3 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

Well, we might. For the coming test series our only "test class" batsmen will be Daniel Vettori, Ross Taylor and sort of Brendon McCullum (if you're talking keepers). Everyone else stinks (Tim McIntosh) or hasn't done anything at the test level yet (Watling, Guptill, Broom).

Guptill and broom need to prove there worth to the selectors, or should I say, to Dan. I though Watling made a very good impression in his first couple of matches though. I expect him to do well.

McIntosh reminds me of Mark Richardson except he scores slower and never looks comfortable at the crease

I cant see the test team being changed too much, its pretty simple for us with selection. North will be selected. Bowling lineup picks itself , Johnson, Bollinger, Hauritz, with either Harris or McKay. No room for any other players. Only contentious spots are no 6 and the 3rd seamer, cant see any other guys being picked over Harris or McKay who have performed AMAZINGLY for Australia this season. Shoer tours like to NZ have no warm up games so waste of time picking young players. Hazelwood is not a chance in a million years to be picked yet, he has done not a lot for NSW.
Siddle provided he is fit will push for test selection a long way ahead of Harris and McKay.

If Ben Hilfenhaus was available for the series our bowlers would be just about cemented. North will just get over White for selection imo, a lot of pressure he is under but he was our best batsman in 2009 in up until the local series between Windies and Pakistan. I would give him this series as his chance to prove he can perform.

^Hmm yes, but you could argue Phil Hughes was as good as North in '09. Hughes had a great series and a bad one. North had 2 good series and 2 bad ones. Seems about even to me. The only thing North has is incumbency and that's going to be the only thing saving him.

And yes Siddle might be ahead of Harris and McKay, but Siddle is out and can't play until next summer and even then would he beat out Bollinger, Hilfenhaus and possibly Brett Lee? He wouldn't for me.

They don't have hopeless batsmen like WI or Pak. McKay & Harris are crap bowlers.

Well we can tell your take on the current ODI series...:p You don't think the Aussie bowlers have done well? I think Bollinger, Harris and McKay have been excellent. Sure the WI and Pak boys have been poor, but it works both ways.

And sorry mate, but NZ do have very average batsmen - at least no better than Pak or WI. Howsie is right. ODIs are OK, because they don't have to survive much, but make them bat for longer and it's a struggle.

Users who are viewing this thread