Australia tour of New Zealand 2010

I'm talking about bringing in Dirk Nannes while still having Bollinger and Johnson in the squad.

I'm talking about bringing in Dirk Nannes while still having Bollinger and Johnson in the squad.

Yea that would be the best choice. All three are different style left-armers too, so it won't be one-dimentional.

But i know the selectors won't pick Nannes unfortunately which is disappointing.

I don't think hes even in the frame for ODI selection now with McKay and Harris stepping up and other bowlers coming back from injury. They most certainly wouldn't go into the game with 3 lefties, even the two we have now is a big stretch for them.

My main concern is that they pick a guy who can use the new ball. Bollinger is a lock from one end. But McKay and Johnson are really 1st change bowlers and having one of them take the new ball would be an instant weakness. Not that Siddle was an awesome exponent of the new ball mind you...

Ryan Harris and the way he bowled is great one day bowling but not really effective test match bowling. An Andy Bichel style trier but I don't think he is the answer to anything other than the ODI side v NZ.

stereotype added 1 Minutes and 13 Seconds later...

My main concern is that they pick a guy who can use the new ball. Bollinger is a lock from one end. But McKay and Johnson are really 1st change bowlers and having one of them take the new ball would be an instant weakness. Not that Siddle was an awesome exponent of the new ball mind you...
Hilfenhaus and Bollinger would be the ideal new ball bowlers. With Hilfenhaus injured it will be interesting to see how they go.

Johnson could swing the new-ball if he gets perfect conditions as we saw in South Africa 2009. But of course that doesn't happen often.

This is why i feel Nannes should be in the test squad to NZ, since he does swing the new-ball. I know he hasn't played much FC games for Victoria this season thanks to injuries, but i defiantely think he is a better bowler than both Harris & McKay.

War added 3 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

Ryan Harris and the way he bowled is great one day bowling but not really effective test match bowling. An Andy Bichel style trier but I don't think he is the answer to anything other than the ODI side v NZ.

So true. Just like how Hauritz wickets vs a Pakistan team full of strife should be taken with a pinch of salt. So should Harris wickets vs PAK in that ODI series.

So true. Just like how Hauritz wickets vs a Pakistan team full of strife should be taken with a pinch of salt. So should Harris wickets vs PAK in that ODI series.

Wickets in any ODI series should be looked at closely imo. Bowling to a ring field on an outside off stump line with the occasional yorker is different to bowling the ideal test line with catching men and gaps in areas like the covers etc.

The way Doug Bollinger bowled was great, swing and attacking the stumps. That works in test cricket so it can be a good form gauge. Harris bowled more of your traditonal ODI full and straight line and I think would need to bowl differently in test cricket.

I am against McKay or Harris playing in the Test teams. You all seen how useless McKay was on debut.

Wickets in any ODI series should be looked at closely imo. Bowling to a ring field on an outside off stump line with the occasional yorker is different to bowling the ideal test line with catching men and gaps in areas like the covers etc.

The way Doug Bollinger bowled was great, swing and attacking the stumps. That works in test cricket so it can be a good form gauge. Harris bowled more of your traditonal ODI full and straight line and I think would need to bowl differently in test cricket.

100% on point sir. McKay & Harris are ok bowlers, but they don't look they would have real success in tests. Once all are fit the pecking order for the quick bowlers for test selection looking ahead to the Ashes should be IMO:

Bollinger
Hilfenhaus
Johnson
Siddle
Lee
Nannes

If Johnson is bowling well, he could definitely kill with the new ball.

Can't wait to see how he goes in England this year.

I am against McKay or Harris playing in the Test teams. You all seen how useless McKay was on debut.
If it is just a stop gap solution until Hilfenhaus returns then I would give McKay first crack as I think his bowling suits NZ conditions over Harris.

Harris could be a success but he would be under a lot more pressure than in the ODIs to produce.

We have to be really careful about throwing guys into the test arena based on ODI form. As much as I want to see Marcus North gone I'm not sure White is the best replacement based on his form in the ODI's and the same has to go for the bowlers

Users who are viewing this thread