Bangladesh Tour of New Zealand 2010

McCullum will have no choice but to move down the order when we bring Williamson in.

His average is only so bad because he's spent the majority of his innings down the order though. His average opening is 34.49. Plus in ODIs average isn't what matters, strike rate is as important and you can't fault his. Sure, i'd rather he was down the order but until Ryder is back there's no reason to change at all. Even when Ryder returns, i'm not sure about Ingram. He's struggling out there at the moment because he's already been worked out.

McCullum was excellent opening against Pakistan the series before this. The first game he was run out which is really nothing to do with batting, just poor decision making and this innings the ball kept down.

It's because he's matured now, so his average has increased over time, and it just happens that he opens now.
Down the order he played a greater % of match winning innings, which is why he in the end moved up the order.
The strike rate is more important down the order, you are never going to need to go at 10's in the first few overs, but in the 40 - 50 over period it is a lot more crucial you have good ball strikers there.

Yes he had a good series in PAK, but before that he had played 10 or so poor innings, now I feel he's going to play another 10 poor innings before a good one.

I said before the PAK series he should go down, he had a good series and stayed up there, but now he's gone poor again.

I don't agree with this statement you made:

"Plus in ODIs average isn't what matters, strike rate is as important and you can't fault his"

This is true for T20 cricket, but in ODI's average is very important.
Kallis only strikes at 72 runs per 100 balls, but he is still one of the best one-day batsmen of the last decade...

Kallis bats in the middle overs. He doesn't open. In the modern One Day game you need guys striking in the 80's, 90's and 100's for strike rate.

lol at Broom. Way to gift some bonus wickets.

irottev added 1 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

Oh, crap decision. NM. Glad it happened in a situation where it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Taylor with the bat, is like Vettori with the ball, they are just plain and simply WAY TOO GOOD for Bangladesh.

Completely agree with what the commentators were saying about Franklin re Fear.
I was actually thinking the exact same thing the ball before, when he failed to even play a full shot at a fall toss in the batting powerplay.

I think they hit the nail on the head when they said Franklin and Broom look like they are playing in fear for their spots. I hope they are given a decent run just to build some confidence up both have good potential. Glad Franklin finished not out that will do him some good.

And Rubel bowled well, until his 5/6th over. after that, he just got smocked. He never bowled under 142ks from ball 1 to end of 4th over, with a good line and length.

Shafiul was lot better though. i only watched when those 2 were bowling.

Shafiul with 3 wickets today, 7 in 2 matches.

He's been impressive in patches. He didn't have many runs to defend today. Taylor basically hit out and gifted him his second and the third pitched outside off though was a decent yorker. The most impressive thing about him is he bowls high 130s and low 140s which is pretty quick. Especially compared to Shahadat who bowls 120's.

Just saw the news highlight, McKay bowled with some good pace and got swing. Looks to be a nice leftie for NZ, and like some of our bowlers lately, he continues to take wickets.

Hopefully McKay keeps up this sort of form against some of the bigger nations. We need a consistent bowler with Bond getting on.

Bangladesh should be banned from international cricket.

:)

Even if Bangladesh win the next ODI and the test match, that statement should not change.

And Mac, stop defending the pace sensation. It's not about bowling well for a certain period of time, it's about being effective and he has been really ineffective.

In Broom's defense (and its a pretty weak defense) the ball that got him was an absolute ripper

Right people, lets start a debate. Andy McKay, select him for the test side? Yay or Nay?

Bear in mind, his bowling record for first class is a bit average and he was part of the bowling attack who Ingram and How hammered all over the place for that record win in his last first class game. [He did get 4 wickets first innings though]

I personally think he should make the squad. He's bowling well in the ODIs, left armer, good pace and really we dont have many other options with no O'Brien and Bond. The other players perhaps in contention are bowlers like Arnel, Aldridge, Thompson, McSkimming and Mason. These palyers are all in the top 6 bowlers in the Plunkett shield and they're all similar. Old aged guys, bowl 120's and 130s. Jeetan Patel or preferably Nathan McCullum perhaps as a second spinner could be another option. Ian Butler?

So Tuffey, Southee, Martin and McKay as the squad's 4 quickies? Not all 4 have to play, but if Vettori bats 6 it might be good.

I guess the other question is, McIntosh or Ingram. Personally, McIntosh did his job alright against Pakistan so i'd keep him, plus Ingram's technique is pretty poor. He's a risk. I'd play McIntosh. (i'm gonna get some stick for this, haha)

Last edited:
Yeah, would have to select him against BNG.
The pace is the main thing, with Bond gone form test cricket.
I'm guessing they'll play four pace bowlers, so McKay, Tuffey, Southee, and Martin.

Depends, what happens to Tim Southee. If both Southee and McKay can play against Bangladesh then I'm yay, if not then nay. He's never really been much chop at the first class level has McKay, but he has looked rather impressive all be it against a pretty bad team.

Tuffey
Southee
McKay
Vettori

The bowling attack I'd like to see against Bangladesh, I really don't see the point of playing Martin tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread