Bangladesh Tour of New Zealand 2010

There's 176 reasons to play Martin. We don't have much choice now. He's so experienced and pace-wise he's still up there at high 130s and low 140s. He's done nothing to deserve dropping. He averaged 31 with 11 wickets against Pakistan. That's a good job if you ask me. Also, last series against Bangladesh in NZ he averaged 16.92 so he has it over some of them and has played against some of them before. He's certainly done a lot better than Southee lately.

I don't know why you guys don't like Martin. He always gives 100% with the ball. It must be a batting thing.

Last edited:
I'd pick Martin first, our top paceman with no O'brien or bond, How can you not pick him?

There's 176 reasons to play Martin. We don't have much choice now. He's so experienced and pace-wise he's still up there at high 130s and low 140s. He's done nothing to deserve dropping. He averaged 31 with 11 wickets against Pakistan. That's a good job if you ask me. Also, last series against Bangladesh in NZ he averaged 16.92 so he has it over some of them and has played against some of them before. He's certainly done a lot better than Southee lately.

I don't know why you guys don't like Martin. He always gives 100% with the ball. It must be a batting thing.

I'm not going to get into a big Chris Martin debate as I've got to run, but his stats against Pakistan a very misleading. He didn't bowl well at any point IMO.

As for not picking him against Bangladesh, it's Bangladesh and he's 35.

As for not picking him against Bangladesh, it's Bangladesh and he's 35.
Hmm I suppose... He's still one of our best though even if his career is very limited. I guess it's a good chance for someone like Southee to get some confidence before Australia. But Martin is just gun! I would be suprised if he doesn't play against Aussie though, I mean he was still getting in the 140s frequently against Pakistan, Not bad for a 35 year old :p

I am going to echo most of you guys and go with Martin, Southee, McKay and Tuffey for the pace attack with Arnel being the next choice should any of them go down with an injury.

However I am not sure how the rest of the team will line up. Vettori said at the toss in Dunedin that they were going to give Franklin an extended run in the team as a batsman to me that sounds like at least until the end of the Australian series if not longer I don't think for a second that extended run means 3 ODI's against Bangladesh. Will he play at 5 and replace Flynn? also Broom has been doing very well he could well replace Guptill at 3 who is yet to do much at test level.

From what we have seen and heard so far the test side might look something like this.

1: McIntosh / Guptill
2: Watling
3: Guptill / Broom
4: Taylor
5: Franklin / Broom
6: Vettori
7: McCullum
8: Tuffey
9: Southee
10: McKay
11: Martin
12: Arnel

My line-up for the test:

1. McIntosh
2. Watling
3. Broom
4. Taylor
5. Franklin
6. Vettori
7. McCullum
8. Tuffey
9. Southee
10. McKay
11. Martin

12th man Arnel

My XI:

McIntosh
Watling
Broom
Taylor
Franklin
Vettori
McCullum
Tuffey
Southee
McKay
Martin
12th: Guptill,N McCullum

I'm still not 100% on it. I'd like to fit Guptill in for another chance. Broom at 3 is a bit scary and Franklin at 5 also scary. It seems prone to collapse but then again what can you do with Ryder out?

I personally like the idea of playing 4 pace bowlers + Vettori. For me, the last 2 spots come down to Guptill, Broom, McKay and Franklin. It's a really tough decision IMO. I think Guptill is a very talented batsman and deserves to stay in the side. His performances haven't been great but with a home game against weak opponents it could be a good idea to give him a go. Broom has batted superbly in the 4 day stuff, it's probably the best format for him and he also deserves a go. Franklin has been a bit poor lately but his bowling is an obvious bonus. As for McKay, he's got it over Bangladesh right now and seems to be promising. A good opportunity for him to get a debut in to have a look, plus it's good to have 4 bowlers with us losing the strike power of Bondy and O'Brien.

Last edited:
Maybe play Franklin as the forth seamer, therefore Guptill and Broom with both be able to play, so:

1. McIntosh
2. Watling
3. Guptill
4. Taylor
5. Broom
6. Franklin
7. Vettori
8. McCullum
9, 10, 11. Tuffey, Southee, McKay, Martin (one to be omitted)

I thought that too, but I have low confidance in Franklin's bowling. Then who do you leave out? Martin could do with the practice before Australia, Tuffey is a shoe in, McKay we'd all want a look at to see what he can do and Southee could do with another game because we'll probably need him to start standing up.

This makes me more annoyed it's a 1 test series.

Franklin's bowling in the longer form has always been better than his limited overs stuff so you could play him as an all rounder. But I would rather him play the Ryder role and be more of a batsman who bowls maybe 10 overs a day. If he shows his bowling has picked up again maybe he can play as a true all rounder in future games.

Nathan McCullum is in for Tuffey who has a hamstring problem I guess they will play Southee instead though.

Southee will have happy memories from the last time he played at AMI stadium :laugh

Is Vettori playing in this useless series? He should take a rest. There are other useful series coming up for NZ.

Users who are viewing this thread