Bangladesh Tour of New Zealand 2010

I really can't wait until Ryder is back and Williamson is ready (which might not be too far off). We could be looking at this come October:

1 J.Ryder
2 M.Guptill
3 K.Williamson
4 R.Taylor
5 G.Elliott
6 D.Vettori
7 B.McCullum
8 J. Oram
9 K.Mills
10 T.Southee/D.Tuffey
11 S.Bond

With the depth New Zealand cricket have created over the last 12 months we'd still have guys like Styris, Ingram, Franklin, McKay, Butler, Nathan McCullum, Redmond, Broom, Watling all ready to go if someone was to go down injured or lose form. Not mention Myburgh and Wagner wouldn't be far off either.

Franklin only had a bruised heel so I don't think he will be out for that long.

Butler needs to go hes not a great death bowler leaks far to many runs and doesn't enough enough with the ball to be used up front he really needs to get his pace back up if he wants to be effective.

Most of the other bowlers did well today, McKay a touch expensive but its early days yet. Southee was great.

I don't think Broom should be near the ODI team hes still only played one innings of note after 20 games (he was dropped in the 20's during it as well). They are trying to fit him into a role hes not use to or good at. The fact is we have better players in positions he might be ok at so its time to move on and find someone else.

Lots of Stupid batting today I don't know where to start. McCullum and Taylor's wickets were prime examples of why we are so inconsistent that sort of play just has to stop no excuses for it. Vettori and Orams wickets were not much better just weak dismissals. Broom was just clueless.

Ari added 9 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

I really can't wait until Ryder is back and Williamson is ready (which might not be too far off). We could be looking at this come October:

With the world cup just around the corner do you really think they will go for him that close to it?

Its very tempting but I don't think they will unless they decide to throw him in right now against the aussies. After the aussies we have the T20 world cup which he won't take part in then we do have abit of a gap before the tour of India and after that its one last home series against Pakistan. So really the way I see it we have to throw him in now a year out because I feel September/October when we tour India is a bit to close to blood someone new when we are trying to setup for a world cup campaign.

Last edited:
Valid point, but I think it depends of how he finishes this season and what he does on the winter A tour (most likely the emerging players tournament). I'm guessing he most likely will not be selected to play Australia this month. Now, if he keeps his form up throughout the rest of the domestic season and scores runs for the New Zealand emerging team, can you really leave him out of the team just because the world cup is coming up. If he isn't picked for the Indian tour and he starts of really well for ND next season can you really leave him out of Pakistan series just because a world cup is coming up?

That would be three seasons of dominating domestic cricket, personally I really couldn't see our selectors leaving him domestic cricket just because the world cup is on in a few months. You can't stop the development of a talented batsmen because of the world cup, pick him if he's good enough and maybe he'll have enough time to force his way into the world cup team.

Styris was who we were missing today. Vettori is great and looked good at 5 (he probably only batted there because of Franklin's injury) but ideally he's probably a six. Styris would really bolster the side. He has to come in for Broom for the Australian series. Franklin is a handy player.

I think the selectors realized they made a blunder and he'll make the next side.

I totally agree about hunger. Taylor got out twice in the 90s against Pakistan. Just silly. Guptill is a star though. I wish he got that hundred.

Last edited:

1 J.Ryder
2 M.Guptill
3 K.Williamson
4 R.Taylor
5 G.Elliott
6 D.Vettori
7 B.McCullum
8 J. Oram
9 K.Mills
10 T.Southee/D.Tuffey
11 S.Bond

With the depth New Zealand cricket have created over the last 12 months we'd still have guys like Styris, Ingram, Franklin, McKay, Butler, Nathan McCullum, Redmond, Broom, Watling all ready to go if someone was to go down injured or lose form. Not mention Myburgh and Wagner wouldn't be far off either.

I'd move McCullum ahead of Vettori, other than that it looks pretty good. I would hope Watling or Stewart would get a shot before Williamson though. Ingram is still got a chance, if he performs against Australia, he might be a permanent opener and that would leave a headache. Not sure about Elliot, he's missed a lot of cricket lately, so I reckon he'll have to perform for Wellington before he gets back into the New Zealand team.

Southee bowled bloody well today, the first time in a while he's performed when no other quick has. Also thought Guptill bowled really well today, a pity we had too much bowling options.

Like many have said in this thread, disappointing to see batsman throw away milestones, they don't come often enough in NZ cricket.

Williamson is still so young. I still thinks he needs another year of NZ domestic at least. Don't want him coming in and losing his confidence because he's not ready.

Watling on the other hand is a little older and more experienced. He deserves a shot for sure.

Valid point, but I think it depends of how he finishes this season and what he does on the winter A tour (most likely the emerging players tournament). I'm guessing he most likely will not be selected to play Australia this month. Now, if he keeps his form up throughout the rest of the domestic season and scores runs for the New Zealand emerging team, can you really leave him out of the team just because the world cup is coming up. If he isn't picked for the Indian tour and he starts of really well for ND next season can you really leave him out of Pakistan series just because a world cup is coming up?

That would be three seasons of dominating domestic cricket, personally I really couldn't see our selectors leaving him domestic cricket just because the world cup is on in a few months. You can't stop the development of a talented batsmen because of the world cup, pick him if he's good enough and maybe he'll have enough time to force his way into the world cup team.

It is a difficult one but once that India tour rolls around we will be well into preparations for the world cup we probably only have 5 ODI's against India and then 5 against Pakistan to get ready for it and NZC will be using those games to make sure we have the best team available I don't see there being time to try new guys that close to it.

I really want to see him have a go I honestly hope he is a bolter for the aussie tour.

If he use Williamson he has to bat at 3. None of this, lets bat him at 7 stuff which I can see happening again. Guptill will have to then open and McCullum go down the order. Or else we get rid of Ingram. By then we might want to. Who knows.

Southee's improved a lot over the winter, but it's been his death bowling I've seen the most improvement in. He was fantastic in the HRV cup, probably the best going around. That's why I was so annoyed when the brought in Ian Butler on Monday because he apparently improves the death bowling of the team which IMO he doesn't.

I'm really liking his pace at the moment to, he always seems to be up around 138-141 which for a swing is perfectly acceptable.

On Williamson, I've seen enough of him this year and even last season to make a decent judgement of his skill set. Tbh, I'm already putting it up their with the best we have. He really does have all the shots in the book and anything even romotely short get's put away. I'd love to see him play against Australia (and do well :p) but yeah I agree, he does need to finish this season in domestic cricket.

If he use Williamson he has to bat at 3. None of this, lets bat him at 7 stuff which I can see happening again. Guptill will have to then open and McCullum go down the order. Or else we get rid of Ingram. By then we might want to. Who knows.

In the long term I think Brendon McCullum will have no choice but to go back down the order. At the moment what New Zealand lacks is a quality death hitter, but we have plenty of top order options. Aside from the Pakistan tour McCullum hasn't done a lot up the order in a long, long time. He'd be much more useful for New Zealand down at six/seven IMO.

The only positives from this game are that Rubel Hossain finally managed to give away less than 6 runs an over and Shakib was at his best with the ball. Imrul was bloody fluke.

Boy can we ever stop looking at positives and actually start winning matches!

Rubel actually looked really good. Mainly just his first few overs, looked really threatening. He's almost a good bowler, just needs some finishing touches. The 2 free hits he conceded towards the end didn't help much either. He had good pace and because he's a slinger I think it skids on a tad more when the balls new especially. He should have the new ball I feel over Shahadat. He's the kind of guy you want bowling your first over.

With Butler, he just bowls too many pies. Half volleys and long hops. I like that he attacks, but he doesn't seem to be able to pick a good length and stay there. There's always that one bad ball an over.

Last edited:
Rubel actually looked really good. Mainly just his first few overs, looked really threatening. He's almost a good bowler, just needs some finishing touches. The 2 free hits he conceded towards the end didn't help much either. He had good pace and because he's a slinger I think it skids on a tad more when the balls new especially. He should have the new ball I feel over Shahadat. He's the kind of guy you want bowling your first over.

With Butler, he just bowls too many pies. Half volleys and long hops. I like that he attacks, but he doesn't seem to be able to pick a good length and stay there. There's always that one bad ball an over.

Shahadat should not be part of the ODI side really, whether he bowls with old or new action, he is one of the worst bowlers in ODIs. Syed Rasel is much much better than him and people say that he's too slow but I think he and Shahadat bowl at the same pace.

Rubel, I don't know. He produces some magnificent deliveries at times but most of the times he's rubbish plus he's not all that quick. It's not he's hovering around 145 mark most of the time like Aamer or Roach so he's nothing special and I think his pace will only go down just like every other Bangladesh pacer which will make him even more ineffective. I really rate Shafiul though, the kid can hit the right areas at decent speed as well.

Man, New Zealand will be so good in the future when they have both Boult and Wagner in the side, especially if Ryder, Taylor and Guptill realize their full potential.

Users who are viewing this thread