Bangladesh Tour of New Zealand 2010

i know, i was just saw the trio combo. so i had to take a dig at that

*triple checks his spellings*

May I suggest a Laphroaig 18 year old. Life is wonderful and everyone is friends after a couple of them

On the catch

www.stuff.co.nz said:
New Zealand cricket captain Dan Vettori says his team's hands are clean after a contentious catch potentially cost his Bangladesh opposite a test century here today.

Shakib Al Hasan was dismissed for 87 in controversial circumstances to end a stand of 145 for the seventh wicket with Mahmudullah, who went on to post his maiden test century on the third day of the one-off test at Seddon Park.

Bangladesh were eventually all out for 408, comfortably their best test score against New Zealand, but the main talking point was Al Hasan's dismissal, caught by wicketkeeper Brendon McCullum off fast bowler Chris Martin after tea.

McCullum claimed the catch but television replays indicated that he scooped the ball up on the half volley.

Vettori defended McCullum, saying the decision rested with the umpires, Rod Tucker, of Australia, and South African Rudi Koertzen, who was positioned at square leg.

"Brendon wasn't sure and asked me to ask the umpires," said Vettori, who had yet to view television footage of the incident.

"I asked them and they were happy with it carrying, so we did everything we could on our part.

"Brendon was not 100 percent (sure) but the umpires were confident that he caught it."

Al Hasan did not seek to have Tucker's decision referred to the third umpire, and left Seddon Park still searching for his first test century.

I rest my case.

Last edited:
Who cares about the catch? We're gonna lose the game anyway. Good fightback by Mahmudullah and Shakib with the bat though, if we can restrict them somewhere below 350 we might just have a chance.

So much was expected from the team in the ODI series and the only they can probably make up for it is by putting up a really good show here.

Shravi knows his cricket. Martin will not be dropped until he retires sadly, Vettori has for a few years now seen him as his best bowler for some unknown reason. He just isn't attacking enough for my liking. Yea he might end up with tidy figures of 3/90 just about every innings, but he just doesn't take enough top order wickets.

Yeah, he's decently consistent but he's not threatening at all. Far too defensive at times and from what I've seen, he bowls too wide a line with the new ball and just wastes it.

From the replays it looks like it bounced just before McCUllum's gloves but i'm not convinced either way.

You arent convinced? Dude don't be a fan boy, the ball bounced clearly before being taken.
McCullum or any other keeper always watches the ball into the gloves, he could have seen it and would have felt the difference between the ball going in straight or on the bounce.
Nobody is attacking McCullum for not doing anything about it, in fact he did according to your article.
You cant tell me that Shakib would have known better then McCullum if that ball went straight in or not. Nobody on that field knew it better then McCullum, not the 1st slip not the bowler.

i am sure he wouldnt have the same opinion if that had happened to mcculluam. he would be saying all the ████ about BD players

Who cares about the catch? We're gonna lose the game anyway. Good fightback by Mahmudullah and Shakib with the bat though, if we can restrict them somewhere below 350 we might just have a chance.

If the "catch" didn't take place then Bangladesh could still be batting. Riyad and Shakib were on a McCullum/Guptil kind of run.

After Shakib got out, they only batted for 10 more overs. I am sure Shakib and Riyad could have batted those 10 overs (+5 of NZ) and BD would be still batting on day 4. or at least Shak woulda had his 1st 100 :mad:

When I say i'm not convinced it's not based on the replay, it's based on the fact that Shakib watched the ball to gloves and walked off quite happy it carried. He's either an idiot (Much like Fulton who edged an LWB and didn't refer) or else the ball actually carried and the replays make it look worse than it is.

Could is a great word huh. It's like any bad umpiring decision in the history of the game like a dodgy LBW. Whats to say Shakib wouldn't have been out the very next ball. Nothing. Get over it. Bad decisions happen. It's not like it's cost you the game, you're Bangladesh your only chance is the weather.

If it happened to McCullum i'd be saying McCullum is stupid for not asking the umpires to go upstairs to check it carried. It's no one's fault but the batsman himself. They had 2 referrals yet, if there was doubt why wouldn't you use one. You're just a ████ stirrer MacLovin.

When I say i'm not convinced it's not based on the replay, it's based on the fact that Shakib watched the ball to gloves and walked off quite happy it carried. He's either an idiot (Much like Fulton who edged an LWB and didn't refer) or else the ball actually carried and the replays make it look worse than it is.

WOW dude seriously just wow. The ball didnt carry, its not up to Shakib to make the right call, its on the umpires.
What do you mean the replays make it worse? The ball bounced, the replay is there for a reason and it shows the ball bouncing. Dont know why its so hard to say that, instead you keep avoiding it for some reason.
What do you think is harder? For Shakib to see the ball bouncing in less then a second or for McCullum to feel the ball bounce awkward.

Did you not read the article. McCullum wasn't sure, Vettori asked the umpires if it carried, they said yes, you're outa here. If Shakib had any doubt whether the ball carried or not he would surely have asked the umpires - he didn't so the only conclusion I can draw is it looked like a pretty clean catch.

I'm over this as everyone else should be. Making a mountain out of a molehill.

Users who are viewing this thread